"picking up the phone"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
"And it's you when I don't pick up the phone"

What does this mean?

Is Bono comparing himself to his father?
Is Bono ignoring his father's phone calls?

I'm curious....

Bono said that when his father died he thought for a couple of days that his father was calling him everytime the phone rang

I just thought that Bono's a guy who screens his calls like me or he's too busy and maybe the last few times his Dad called he didn't pick up.

I screen or ignore my calls all the time, and then I get this sudden feeling of guilt because I think maybe something terrible could have happened.

That's what came to me when I heard the line.

I thought he meant that when he didn't pick up the phone to call his Dad over the years - it was like his Dad not picking up the phone to call him.

My initial impression was that it reflects self-imposed isolation. His dad thought he could "make it on his own," so he would not pick up the phone. So, if he sees his dad when he looks in the mirror, then the phone thing could also be a reflection of his father through his actions. Everytime he just "lets it ring," he's being like his father; not allowing help or anyone into his life.

UnforgettableLemon said:
My initial impression was that it reflects self-imposed isolation. His dad thought he could "make it on his own," so he would not pick up the phone. So, if he sees his dad when he looks in the mirror, then the phone thing could also be a reflection of his father through his actions. Everytime he just "lets it ring," he's being like his father; not allowing help or anyone into his life.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom