Pick Top 2 songs of every album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
even bono said october was crap, his excuse, 'we were in a bar and someone stole the breifcase containing all the sheet music and lyrics'
it's patchy throughout the songs seem unfinished, a real dip after boy and a massive trench compared to war
i way prefer grace to tomorrow
they are more mature accomplished musicians and even tighter on atyclb:hmm:

but again, i face it, its personal taste and personal experiences influence us x
atyclb gets better over time as does pop and zooropa,

october i'd rather 4get about it x

I'll take October over ATYCLB any day. I skip more songs on that album than any other 3 U2 albums combined. Just gets worse with time, too.

:up:

I don't know why, but something about Bono's voice right then bothers me like hell...I want to go back to the late 80s and 90s and say, stop drinking! and no smoking at all! and no LA/Vegas/wherever it was air!

even bono said october was crap, his excuse, 'we were in a bar and someone stole the breifcase containing all the sheet music and lyrics'
it's patchy throughout the songs seem unfinished, a real dip after boy and a massive trench compared to war

but again, i face it, its personal taste and personal experiences influence us x

Bono also called HTDAAB "Punk Rock from Venus" so please excuse me if I don't use Bono's thoughts on their music as my own personal barometer.

As you say, it's personal taste that govern our rankings, selections, etc...and, for me, ATYCLB is U2's worst and it's not even close. But, a shit-ton of folks love ATYCLB, be it die-hard or casual fans, and, that's great. Believe me, I wish ATYCLB wasn't worse every time I gave it a listen.

I'll agree with you on Zooropa, though, as far as aging well.....phenomenal album.

^Yep...Zooropa definitely. I'd even go so far as Pop. The fact that I like Pop at all is a testament to that.

That just means the lyrics are crap. (On only some of the songs, too. And apparently when they got the briefcase back, Bono said he'd remembered them as better than they were)

Personal preference is that I tend to not listen to all of War because, for example, Like A Song is an angstfest.

The point of October to me is basically that it's where anything afterward that wasn't based on punk would have come from. Unforgettable Fire wouldn't have existed, War sure as hell wouldn't have been as good, JT would be history. Plus there's something about the energy they all had in '81 that mellowed out by the time of TUF...there is so much emotion in the album it's almost overwhelming. Makes for amazing music if not for lyrics.

:up:

I don't know why, but something about Bono's voice right then bothers me like hell...I want to go back to the late 80s and 90s and say, stop drinking! and no smoking at all! and no LA/Vegas/wherever it was air!

His voice is subpar, agreed...but it goes beyond that, at least for me. I don't want to shit on the album more than I already have, but suffice to say, most of the songs leave me underwhelmed. That being said, I do very much love Kite and When I Look at the World, so I'm glad it exists for those 2 songs alone.....

I'm basically glad it exists so that they could go past it. ...and make Bomb...well...damn. Bomb is a damn sight better though, IMO. I can do without 'intellectual tor-toyse' but musically they improved a bit, thankfully.

My real problem with HTDAAB is, well, pronunciation/numbers fail, and the fact that (I can't remember who said this but I know it came from somewhere) there was no 'landscape' to that album...I always pictured it in a city but then I heard all of Zooropa and realized that was an even better city album...

The big complaint I hear about it is that the songs do not flow, that it feels like a series of singles and not a cohesive album, and I agree for the most part, but I like just about every song so that helps mitigate things a bit.....the pronunciation/numbers fail makes me chuckle more than anything....

My major complaint with HTDAAB? Vertigo instead of Native Son.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I like Vertigo too....especially in concert....I just think Native Son is the better song, and that lyrically it actually meant something....and the band electing to change it, and the reasons why, are semi-indicative of the small problems that still plague them. Again, great song, amazing band, who the hell am I to judge anything they do or do not do....but, I just really like Native Son. :)

They usually have pretty good Bsides. Like, I love Disappearing Act (which was really a Bside because it took forever to complete...it was completed pretty recently, I think...) and all the Bsides for Achtung Baby were amazing...Lady With The Spinning Head, for example...

I don't really remember Native Son much, but I think it didn't have the same sound as the rest of the album. They could have changed it probably, and they have other songs on other albums like that, but maybe it just didn't fit well.

That being said, I do very much love Kite and When I Look at the World, so I'm glad it exists for those 2 songs alone.....
When I Look At The World :up: Love that song.

I love HTDAAB, it's my favorite of te 00's albums. I think it's a work of art (okay, maybe not All Because of You or Crumbs From Your Table). The music just appeals to me more. Plus one of my favorite songs is on it! Perfect album to listen to as the night is beginning...

I love HTDAAB, it's my favorite of te 00's albums. I think it's a work of art (okay, maybe not All Because of You or Crumbs From Your Table). The music just appeals to me more. Plus one of my favorite songs is on it! Perfect album to listen to as the night is beginning...

Which song? /curious

It's probably my favorite 00's album, but that's not saying much, to me. IMO, after Zooropa, everything just...degenerated...and All Because Of You and Crumbs From Your Table aren't that bad aside from some of the cringeworthy lyrics...

You're really a 90s U2 person, though, aren't you?

I love Crumbs. :)

My favorite from the 00's is No Line, for the record.

Which song? /curious

It's probably my favorite 00's album, but that's not saying much, to me. IMO, after Zooropa, everything just...degenerated...and All Because Of You and Crumbs From Your Table aren't that bad aside from some of the cringeworthy lyrics...

You're really a 90s U2 person, though, aren't you?
Yep, and you're really an 80's person aren't you? :lol: I believe they were at their best in the 90's. It can blow my mind, if I think about it, how it took six albums for U2 to set up an image of themselves that people ot comfortable with, and then on their seventh they just turned their backs and went for something completely different! And the fans (well, a lot of the fans) still loved them!

Crumbs From Your Table bothers me to no end (it's "if I WERE able" not "WAS able"... get it right!" and All Because of You is meeehhhh... City of Blinding Lights is one of my top three favorite U2 songs and probably one of my favorite songs overall. It's just hard to make a list of such things. :)

I'm an 80's and 90's person.....though, if forced to choose, I'd have to roll with the 80's.

Leave Crumbs alone. :(

:)

COBL is a solid tune and definitely one of my favorite from the decade....but all-time it would probably not place anywhere higher than top 30. And, yes, making such lists is difficult at best.....

I love City Of Blinding Lights. Part of why HTDAAB would be my favorite 00's album, because COBL is basically (to me at least) the 'Zooropa' of that album...

Yep, and you're really an 80's person aren't you? :lol:

Totally. Don't get me started about 80s U2 :lol: There was just something about them. Whatever it is, that energy or that general good-person vibe or that basic musical skill, still exists, but it's transformed a bit. And of course, Bono's voice back then :drool: Some of the 1980-ish stuff was terrible in various live performances, but then the good performances of the October material...man...

I like 90s U2 too (partly your fault. And Achtung Baby grew on me and took me totally by surprise) Partly because someone must have eventually explained ZooTV to me really damn well and I figured out U2, Bono especially, grew so much as musicians in the early 90s too. In some interview about JT they said they were still developing as musicians, and they were. Mostly Adam's bass improved, and Edge's guitar effects did weird wonderful things. But I mainly have huge respect for the 90s because of Bono's skill with the stage personas...you know, that they were and weren't him, and he could be the opposite of himself and make it all make sense.

At the same time, all that and all the effects kind of distanced me from 90s U2. It made them harder to really understand because there was all this irony and depth and a lot more layers under the surface.

i like your point about the melodies in October, but the poor lyrics just kill it for me, Is that All? poor, just terrible.

But yes, you're right about it being the catalyst for other stuff, they knew they's be finished if they didn't come up with something better next time.

"A mole digging in a hole" elavation, best lyric ever xx:love:

isnt that because we live in the download generation
people dont buy vinyl
there is no a side and b side
you dont have to listen to songs in order
anyone can make their best of u2 playlist

Agree with this! :up: I love HTDAAB so much it's in my top 5. Yes. That's the neat thing about here. There's a vast difference of opinion and sometimes we try too hard to subject other people to our opinion(s). I love HTDAAB but many here loathe it. I definitely love HTDAAB at night. I remember the Christmas I got it. It was Christmas Eve and I immediately put it in the CD player and began listening that night. If anyone rides past people's houses and looks at Christmas lights then do play Atomic Bomb when doing so. It worked for me for some odd reason.:lol:

Anyway carry on with the discussion...

Boy: Out Of Control, A Day Without Me
October: Tomorrow, Gloria
War: Drowning Man, New Year's Day
TUF: Bad, The Unforgettable Fire (with ASOH a very, very close third)
TJT: WOWY is first, with Streets and OTH tied for second. I'd probably give it to Streets.
R&H: All I Want Is You, Angel of Harlem
Achtung Baby: Ultraviolet, One
Zooropa: Lemon, Zooropa
OS1: Your Blue Room, Slug
Pop: Please, Staring At The Sun
ATYCLB: Beautiful Day, Walk On
Bomb: City Of Blinding Lights, Original Of The Species
NLOTH: Moment of Surrender, and then everything else is tied for second (that's a compliment to the album, not an insult)

Boy - An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Electric Co.
October - Gloria, October
War - New Year's Day, Surrender
TUF - A Sort of Homecoming, The Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree - Running To Stand Still, One Tree Hill
Rattle And Hum - Hawkmoon 269, All I Want Is You
Achtung Baby - Until The End of the World, Mysterious Ways
Zooropa - Zooropa, Stay
OS1 - Beach Sequence, Miss Sarajevo
Pop - Do You Feel Loved, Wake Up Dead Man
ATYCLB - Beautiful Day, When I Look At The World
HTDAAB - COBL, A Man And A Woman
NLOTH - MOS, Breathe

Boy - An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Electric Co.
October - Gloria, October
TUF - A Sort of Homecoming, The Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree - Running To Stand Still, One Tree Hill
Rattle And Hum - Hawkmoon 269, All I Want Is You
Achtung Baby - Until The End of the World, Mysterious Ways
Zooropa - Zooropa, Stay
OS1 - Beach Sequence, Miss Sarajevo
Pop - Do You Feel Loved, Wake Up Dead Man
ATYCLB - Beautiful Day, When I Look At The World
HTDAAB - COBL, A Man And A Woman
NLOTH - MOS, Breathe

Sigh

Boy - Electric Co, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart (I'm counting them as one song screw you)
October - Stranger in a Strange Land/October
The Unforgettable Fire - A Sort of Homecoming, The Unforgettable Fire
The Joshua Tree - One Tree Hill, Red Hill Mining Town
Rattle and Hum - Heartland, All I Want is You
Achtung Baby - Acrobat, Until the End of the World
Zooropa - Zooropa, Stay
Pop - Mofo, Do You Feel Loved
All That You Can't Leave Behind - When I Look at the World, Kite
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - Crumbs From Your Table, City of Blinding Lights
No Line on the Horizon - Breathe, Fez Being Born

Our lists are pretty damned similar.

The War picks are a nice surprise. :hi5: I can never gauge the fan opinion of Surrender, but I've always thought it was one of their best.

I love Surrender to death. Very evocative song for me. But, yeah, have no real feel for how much that song is liked or disliked amongst the faithful.....

Back
Top Bottom