Opera in my head?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giant Lemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I know a lot of people really like Ultraviolet, including myself, so I thought someone might have an explanation for one line that's always confused me:

When I was all messed up
And I had opera in my head
Your love was a light bulb
Hanging over my bed

Why opera? I don't see how opera relates to being messed up or to anything else in the song. Any explanations?

------------------
Got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade

"We miss our lemon, I'd just like to say that." - Bono 5/9/01

This is all a complete guess on my part:

but i'm trying to think of what Opera represents: tragedy, usually. Heavy subjects, dark singing, darkness, women, it's in another language - confusion, it's usually something the wealthy go to so it's a status sort of activity. It's the extreme opposite of Pop music - just heavy stuff.

I think Bono was trying to convey here what was going on in his life, in his head and maybe what opera represents is exactly that. and the woman, her love was the lightbulb seeing him through it all.

smile.gif
i think!....

------------------
"You're nuts!" <-- when my mom heard my plans for the 3rd leg.

Packing a suitcase for a place...
that has to be believed to be seen

Go baby! -->* www.u2takemehigher.com *<--All New!

Hmm...I had never even thought about the meaning of that line! Interesting!

------------------
"But you take what you can get,
Cuz it's all that you can find,
But you know there's something more,
Tonight, tonight, tonight...

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
but i'm trying to think of what Opera represents: tragedy, usually. Heavy subjects, dark singing, darkness, women, it's in another language - confusion, it's usually something the wealthy go to so it's a status sort of activity. It's the extreme opposite of Pop music - just heavy stuff.

Good theory, oliveu2cm! I never really thought about it that way.

oliveu2cm, that was a great interpretation. That's pretty close as to how I saw those lyrics also. Althogh you added a greater amount of detail to the meaning.

Those are some of my favorite lyrics in the album. It holds a personal meaning to me cause when I was going to a semi-depression, it was my gf(finacee) who kept me going. I just kept singing this song and reminding myself that I had her beside me.

Makes me wonder if Bono has gone through something similar or if he just makes up the lyrics.

Seconds, thanks! It helps to bring his lyrics down to a literal meaning like that.

I tend to think Ali is the lightbulb for Bono. Through all the mud and garbage he has to go through (sometimes voluntarily) he holds on to her. It all goes back to the sun/moon discussion (see the other thread on sun/moon in AB) which Velvetdress and I had. It's such a powerful image, though, of a stark, dark room and a man lying on this drab bed and the only source of light through all the dirt and dust is just this lightbulb above him. !! wow.

Maybe it could be applied for the Edge, too. Going through that awful divorce - maybe the band was the lightbulb for him. It's unfair to lump all the lyrics like this from AB on him but Bono says it's *part* of it. But I think Bono does write from experience, be it his own or him putting himself in someone else's shoes.

------------------
Packing a suitcase for a place...
that has to be believed to be seen

Go baby! -->* www.u2takemehigher.com *<--All New!

I love that line! I just think of opera as loud, soaring, passionate, and sometimes painful music. I think Bono was exposed to a lot of opera music through his father and some of those same qualities are in U2's music IMO. That line expresses the "noise" in your head when things seem dark, but in a way no one else has expressed it. For whatever reason, I immediately identified with that particular lyric. It's one of my favorites.

This is what I have always thought, and it's along the same lines of what's already been said. Basically to me, I find opera very confusing mainly because most of the time it's in a completely different language- and basically very hard to figure out what's being said/going on, etc, and I think also because I'm not a big fan of it. The light bulb can represent the one thing you can see and understand. You know how like in cartoons (bad example, I know) when a character finally understands or figures something out - a lightbulb appears over their head? (Ding! Ding! Ding!)Well I guess in a time of confusion (opera) in his mind - the love was the "lightbulb" - the one thing he can understand and see clearly.

I hope that made sense.

------------------
"Edge, it's you she wants...it's you!...I know him! He's in my band!" Bono - Zoo Boston, 1992
- Kathleen -

Originally posted by She ls Raging:
This is what I have always thought, and it's along the same lines of what's already been said. Basically to me, I find opera very confusing mainly because most of the time it's in a completely different language- and basically very hard to figure out what's being said/going on, etc, and I think also because I'm not a big fan of it. The light bulb can represent the one thing you can see and understand. You know how like in cartoons (bad example, I know) when a character finally understands or figures something out - a lightbulb appears over their head? (Ding! Ding! Ding!)Well I guess in a time of confusion (opera) in his mind - the love was the "lightbulb" - the one thing he can understand and see clearly.

I hope that made sense.

I get what you're saying - it can be kind of hard analysing songs, or even emoting what you feel in your heart and trying to translate those thoughts into words.

Opera in my head... operas in and of themselves being tragedies.

The Greeks were the masters of tragedies, the master of translating the tragedy of man and summing them up into plays. Add in a dash of social commentary and even a little humor... The Greeks were, from an historical point of view, and enlightened people not just in the arts, but in philosphy, astronomy, and many aspects of life. When the Romans conquered Greece, they borrowed many Greek ideas and applied them to their own - thus creating a new brand of enlightenment. Many people in both these civilizations were educated, there's even been some evidence that the slaves were educated to some degree as well as to better serve their masters. Education is, and has always been, the key to enlightenment.

As time went on and the eventual feudal wars prevailed, education and enlightenment became not only something of the past, but became something that only those with money could attain. Unfortunately during the dark ages, the money went into the churches and all education solely revolved around religion. Everybody really was "in the dark" and there really wasn't a whole lot of epphasis on education, let alone enlightenment. For with education comes rebellion of old ideas, and acceptance of new ideas.

Until the the new age of enlightenment, the idea of the Renaissance era was not only to paint pretty pictures on cathedral ceilings, but to capture the essense of what true enlightenment was about both spiritually and physically. The Renaissance was also a time of reflection of the great Greek and Roman societies that were so enlightened. Everybody jumped on the band wagon. After spending so much time in the dark, it was now time to pour money into education and art. One aspect of ancient enlightened times were the great Greek and Roman tragedies. Rather than duplicate what was already done, the new Renaissance decided to take on a musical interpretation (almost like spin offs) of the great tragedies. Thus opera was born. It is said that the first operas were from the Netherlands, and were more operettas although the most famous or "true" operas undoubtedly come from Italy during the age of Enlightenment.

A liking of Opera is not limited to those who understand the language in which the opera is sung - the very idea of it was that operas have a universal appeal. So how did they do that? Operas convey emotion through song, though the flutter of a violin to the influctions in the voice. Another idea of Opera is to convey that emotion through what's going on on the stage - thus you have the eloborate stage production of the opera. Language barriers aside, many operas are painfully beautiful. We know this because we can hear it in the singer's voice even though we may not understand word for word what he/she is saying. It's like, we can tell when someone is happy or in pain even though we may not understand what they are saying. In this case, actions do speak louder that actual words.
wink.gif

So now we're talking about Opera in my head which to me (and this is just my opinion) conveys that the hero of the song knows the gist of what's going on, knows the pain and the tragedy, but is unable to put it in speakable terms of explanation (being 'messed up)

Sorry for the long reply. Got off on a tangent there.

Part of this could also be thinking about some of the main elements in opera, and relating those to what it's like trying to straighten things out in your head while you are lying awake at night.
While opera is in foreign language to some people, lines are repeated to emphasize important points. Because of music this is possible-it would sound ridiculous in a spoken play. Relate it to a chorus of a song that is stuck in your head.
Opera also has arias, a chance for main characters to express themselves openly with passion, a true view deep into their heart.
Many times, characters or themes within an opera have their own musical theme which is repeated throughout, letting their presence be felt even if they are not physically present.
And, as stated earlier, many operas are tragedies, where a character holds onto hope until the very end, looking for some one to turn on the "light bulb".
Opera live can become an all encompassing experience. My wife and I saw "Tosca" last year, and were completely emotionally drained afterwards-one of the closest feelings I have had to leaving a U2 show.Sometimes, this is how you can feel when agonizing over something, not knowing where to turn or what to do, until the light bulb shows up. Make any sense? I hope some of it does. Thanks for your time.

i'm with you on that analysis!
i think that bono actually was messed up, hearing opera in his head - ali's love was the lightbulb hanging over his bed.
that is one of my all time favorite lines.
next time you are really down about something, listen to ultraviolet, and you will understand the line a lot better.

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
This is all a complete guess on my part:

smile.gif
i think!....

In other words, a drama mama!

Back
Top Bottom