'Oh shit': The Unforgettable Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
It only took me 25 years to learn that apparently, the first words on the track The Unforgettable Fire are: "Oh shit".

(lyrics courtesy of U2 Home Page: @U2 - U2 News, U2 Lyrics, U2 Photos and more!)

The Unforgettable Fire

Oh shit

Ice, your only rivers run cold
These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Dug from the night, your eyes as black as coal

Walk on by, walk on through
Walk till you run and don't look back for here I am

Carnival, the wheels fly and the colours spin
Through alcohol, red wine that punctures the skin
Face to face in a dry and waterless place

Walk on by, walk on through
So sad to beseige your love
Oh hang on
Stay this time, stay tonight in a lie
I'm only asking but I, I think you know
Come on and take me away
Come on and take me away
Come on, take me home
Home again

Ever, ever, ever high
And here she comes
Yet she's so far

And if the mountains should crumble
Or disappear into the sea
Not a tear, no not I
Stay this time
Stay tonight in a lie
Ever after is a long time
And if you save your love
Save your love, save it all, save it all
Don't push me too far
Don't push me too far tonight
Tonight, tonight

Well, they're not actually lyrics. Larry says, "Oh Shit, I'm Sorry" at the beginning of the song because he came in early.

Well, they're not actually lyrics. Larry says, "Oh Shit, I'm Sorry" at the beginning of the song because he came in early.

I didn't think it was a 'lyric'. I get that it was some banter that got caught. I wasn't sure who it was. Larry you say? Cool. I just didn't know what was said before reading it on atu2.com tonight.

Now that it's pointed out, I can definitely hear it. :lol:

Next year, they should mic Larry up for the song and have him absolutely scream out "OH SHIT" at the beginning.

:ohmy: I never noticed this, but of course, now I hear it :laugh:

I wonder if they just thought it would be funny to not edit it out? :lmao:

I always heard the drumstick clicks coming in too early, and then a mumble, but I could never make out what the mumble was. Now I need to go and listen closer!

Yeah, before bono_212 pointed out that Larry came in early I really never understood the whole drumsticks clapping two times.:lol: I figured he'd come in early but that they might edit that out. I think they left it for the humor. Still a great performance and great song even though Larry came in a bit early.:wink:

I always heard it sort of, but not clearly until the remaster :drool:

Wasn't there a thread before about all the quiet whispers/mumbles/studio chat on all the records. :hmm: I was trying to remember yesterday when Vertigo ended what you could hear that voice say at the very end of the track, but I can't remember.

Yeah, before bono_212 pointed out that Larry came in early I really never understood the whole drumsticks clapping two times.:lol: I figured he'd come in early but that they might edit that out. I think they left it for the humor. Still a great performance and great song even though Larry came in a bit early.:wink:

I don't think that it was that Larry came in early, sounds more like he was clicking out the tempo and didn't realize the tape was rolling and hence "Oh shit".

Just my guess.

I knew something was missing in the live performing during the tour...

How on earth do things like this end up on the final record?

yeah, this is one of their most obvious errors, like bono coughing in the intro to shadows and tall trees.

Some people think that larry is counting in the bells, but there is no logical reason for him to do so... its just part of the song now, and im glad they kept it in

100_0779.jpg

I just saw this thread, and wanted to thank you! The Unforgettable Fire has always been in my top 10 U2 songs and I never ever noticed this until I read this thread, put on the remastered cd with headphones, and there it is! It is like that high pitched sound that only teenagers and lucky adults can hear. Ahd yes, you could go forever not hearing it but once you do, you always hear it.

Doesn't change anything for me--this is still one of my favorite songs, ever! Thanks again :giggle:

I never knew that the drumsticks at the beginning were an error! I thought that it was just part of the song. I'm listening to it now (not the remastered version) and I can hear Larry. :lol: They must have thought it was funny and decided to leave it in. Or it was just too much trouble to redo it back then in the 80s with all that ancient recording equipment. ;)

Back
Top Bottom