October - ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I love this song, and I when I pick up the piano again, I am so learning it.

October
And the trees are stripped bare
Of all they wear
But what do I care

October
And kingdoms rise
And kingdoms fall
But you go on

And on...

:heart:

But does anyone what it is about? What is October? Where is it?

October is not a place, it's a month. :wink:

(I get a bit rambly in this, so maybe just scan it, and you'll get the idea :reject: )

The only interpretation I've heard has to do with the time of year October is in Ireland. It's autumn, the weather's starting to get colder as it moves towards winter.
In the song, it sounds like a warning of the impending seasonal change, but in a more poetic sense, it could mean a change in your life. If you think back to the time when the record October was made, the band were going through a bit of a crisis, and the song October (at least to me) is expressing the uncertainty they were feeling. Also, the idea that Shalom had given them, that music really wasn't a path worth taking, that it was pointless in the greater scheme of things.
Think about the verse:

October
And kingdoms rise
And kingdoms fall
But you go on

It could be taken as saying, Bands come and go all the time, but it's not really that important. You get on with your life.
In fact, it doesn't have to be bands. It could just be, Things change, but you go on reguardless.

COBL_04 said:

But does anyone what it is about? What is October? Where is it?
You seriously didn't know what October is? Or did you mean in lyrical sense?

I just find it hard to believe that someone who doesn't make spelling mistakes in his/her post, doesn't know what October means. :scratch:

Meghan said:
The only interpretation I've heard has to do with the time of year October is in Ireland.
Before you posted this, I actually never realized that "October" isn't necessarily linked to "autumn" in other parts of the world.
Here in the northwest of Europe, it's pretty easy to see that this song is about autumn. But I can imagine people from other continents can't see it that easily.

Last edited:
Yes. Everything's very confusing for us down here. Not only do we have to deal with being up-side-down, all the season's are backwards. :grumpy: :wink:

But still, if they had been from Australia (or any other place where the season's are reversed) the song would have been (theoretically of coarse) called April, which is the month I was born in, which makes me feel special. :happy:

Re: Re: October - ???

WalkOn21 said:
You seriously didn't know what October is? Or did you mean in lyrical sense?

I meant in an lyrical sense. I just thought October may have been a metaphor for a place because originally I thought the lyrics were 'October, where the trees are stripped bare...[/i]

i have nothing to contribute besides what other people have said... but good on you for wanting to learn to play this song! when i started playing piano, it was one of the first ones i wanted to learn. the good news is that it's not very difficult, but so beautiful - you will impress people when you play it!!! :D good luck!

Here is what 'Into The Heart' says about October.

Great they made the pictures smaller, nevermind. I'll just type what it says.

Here is what 'Into The Heart' says about October.

"Clearly this was one of The Edge's most brilliant moments of inspiration to date. The guitarist remembers it as a song that could have gone places, but Bono was bereft of further lyrical inspiration and they didn't have the time necessary to squeeze out whatever sparks might have been flickering. They decided to put it out as it was. His memory does the controlled power and beauty of the unfinished track a grave injustice. U2 happily admit that songs frequently come together by accident: this was an example of that process at its happiest.
Not that that is such an appropriate metaphor in the context. In fact, 'October' is suffused with an other-worldly sadness and resignation that undoubtedly taps into the tangled emotions that were driving the band just then, and that risked driving them apart. On the run-up to recording 'October', Bono, The Edge and Larry were living out in Portrane, beside the beach on the north coast of Dublin, with the Shalom group. Bono was baptised in the sea in Portrane, and they were living in a caravan in a field there. They were praying a alot and fasting. the Edge describes it as an incredibly intense time spiritually, during which he wrestled at length with his conscience about whether or not, as a Christian, he could continue to play in a rock 'n' roll band.
The three Christian members of the band had been under a lot of pressure from other members of Shalom group to quit, that they had to choose one way or the other. It was on the beach in Portrane that The Edge broke the news to Bono that he might be leaving the band. If The Edge was going, Bono decided that he would too - that they'd break up the band. The Edge asked for two weeks, to give him time to go away and consider his position. When he came back he had decided that being a Christian in a rock 'n' roll band involved a contradiction alright - but one he could live with.
"'October'... it's an image," Bono told a Dutch television interviewer, Kees Baar, in 1981. "We've been through the '60s, a time when things were in full bloom. We had fridges and cars, we send people to the Moon and everybody thought how great mankind was. And now, as we go through the '70s and '80s, it's a colder time of the year. It's after the harvest. The trees are stripped bare. You can see things and we finally relaize that maybe we weren't so smart after all, now that there's millions of unemployed people, now that we've used the technology we've been blessed with to build bombs for war machines, to build rockets, whatever. So 'October' is an ominous word, but it's also quite lyrical."
As extrapolations go, it makes some kind of sense. The title came first: it was what Bono wanted to call the album. The Edge hadn't played the piano in years but he had a real feel for it and he began to pick out this pure melody, underpinned with simple chords. The group wanted him to find what they called ice notes: clear, shimmering, crystalline things that would be hard but beautiful. 'October' was the result, and while Bono may have seen it as a grand statement about eternal verities, its nakedness in fact said as much about the crises the band had been going through, both personal and Creative.
'October' captures U2 in a moment of supreme vulnerability, and is all the more compelling as a result. There may indeed have been a bigger, more complete song there to be written. But sometimes, as U2 would find again and again, these things are best left to find a life of their own.
And a meaning."

Back
Top Bottom