Night and Day imagery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
There's a lot of U2 sogns with lyrics relating to day and night! Here's some that come to my head:
"And if the night runs over, and if the day won't last..." (Stuck in a Moment)
"In the stillness of the evening, when the sun has had its day..." (New York)
"When the night takes a deep breath/And the daylight has no air" ... and from the same song, but more indirectly "Slow down my beating heart
Man dreams one day to fly/A man takes a rocket ship into the skies/He lives on a star that's dying in the night" (In A Little While)

That's just from ATYCLB! I suppose it's not surprising there's so much of it as day/night imagery is very common throughout everything, but I find these instances interesting.

Anyone else think of any others?

I'n not sure we should count that Night and Day one, since it's not written by U2 and all.

Whoops. I even said to myself, maybe I should check the lyrics first, but no, I'm suuuch a huge U2 fan, I don't need to do that!
rolleyes.gif

When the night has no end...and the day yet to begin.
Hawkmoon269

Like a star exploding in the night... filling up the city with broad daylight
Angel of Harlem

Says he's gonna kick the darkness till it bleeds daylight
God PartII (although that line is quoting another song, so strictly speaking its not Bono's lyrics)

Welcome to the forum Wild_honey! is it a coincidence those are all from rattle and hum?

I think there's tons of them.. all mine were from ATYCLB, and that's what I'd been listening to when I posted...

Thanks for the welcome Skeet
wink.gif

I think the night and day imagery fits in rather nicely on R&H, the black and white photography etc.

The coincidence was that I just happened to be listening to that CD when i read your post LOL...but have since remembered another one....

As the day begs the night for mercy lol

One Tree Hill

I think the "bad" lyrics are

"...into the night, through the rain...into the half-light, through the flame..." (at least that's how they read on the WAIA version)

"run from the darkness in the night.."

It seems that "darkness" and "light" or "night" and "day" are probably the biggest metaphors for U2 and what they represent, the dichotomy of being a "rock star" and living in the "night" of temptation, and all that comes stock with rock stardom, and the devotion to "light" --God, love, family, responsibility, etc...It really sums up what U2 have explored and continue to try and understand,in their journey..

Back
Top Bottom