Moment of Surrender - LIVE lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burlington77

Acrobat
Perhaps its been posted but was wondering:

near the end of MOS live version, what is the rap that Bono sings? I have tried hard and cannot only distinguish certain things. :hmm:

Unless it has changed from it's original verses in 2009;
The general idea seems to be something like

Like this song, life is short
It's the longest thing you'll ever do
The worst/But worse, the curse is that your dreams came true

God is a mirror in which each man sees himself
Hell is a place were you don't need any help
When I first met you, your face was like snow
Wherever I went you wanted to go
Your face, your grace, your lipstick case
Your case, did you put it down?
8:17/A-17 on the ground
Your faith in the clown/cloud
Don't leave me now
Don't leave me now

Alone in this song
Don't leave me now
Alone in this song

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f194/moment-of-surrender-live-lyrics-206397.html
http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f194/rap-lyrics-in-concerts-at-end-of-mos-202888.html

EDIT: Beat me to it!;)

I posted this in the setlist party thread for Montreal II, when we had the stream from U2.com.

This is what I hear:

Life is short, but it's the longest thing you'll ever do
The worse, the curse, is if dreams came true
God is a mirror, in which each man sees himself
Hell is a place, where you don't need any help

When I first met you, your face was like snow
Whereever I went to, you wanted to go
Your face, your grace, can of mace, in your case
And you put it down, 8:17 on the ground

Don't lose your faith in the clown

(or it might be 'Don't lose your faith in a clown')

It's a little different now, and Bono no longer sings 'Don't leave me now, alone in this song'.

I once thought he sang 'age 17' too. I listened again today, and I'm pretty sure now, that he is singing 8:17, a time reference. Like in some of the other songs (Breathe, Unknown Caller).

The way I understand it from 'Your face' to 'faith in the/a clown':

Your face (as in the verse 'face was like snow', white as snow) = you were innocent
your grace (as in God's grace) = you loved me unconditionally
can of mace, in your case (a defense weapon in your case) = your defenses
And you put it down.... on the ground = and you surrendered to me
8:17 (a time reference, a moment) = the moment of surrender

Don't lose your faith in the/a clown = don't lose lose your faith in me, even if you now find me ridiculous, imperfect.

In Oakland Bono sang 'don't lose your faith in this clown' like he was talking about himself, and I've read fans saying, they think it comes from 'the holy fool in Christian tradition'.

Try and Google that and see what you think.

Or there's a link here:

Foolishness for Christ - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:nerd:

:wink:

Moment of Surrender is EPIC. It's just surreal how much Bono is in this song. It must mean so much to him, I think he totally gets lost in the moment here. I don't care if some people say it's not a good closer, for me, it's the perfect show closer, and I love how Bono extends the song into this kind of "rap" in the end. The only thing I find a bit sad is the fact that he chose not to sing all the lyrics for MOS. He shouldn't have dropped certain lines.

last unicorn said:
Moment of Surrender is EPIC. It's just surreal how much Bono is in this song. It must mean so much to him, I think he totally gets lost in the moment here. I don't care if some people say it's not a good closer, for me, it's the perfect show closer, and I love how Bono extends the song into this kind of "rap" in the end. The only thing I find a bit sad is the fact that he chose not to sing all the lyrics for MOS. He shouldn't have dropped certain lines.

I haven't seen many live performance clips of it, what lyrics did he cut? I never noticed anything missing..

Really? Holy crap, that's one of the highlights of the song for me.

I didn't notice anything missing, but the idea that there at some point was...:sad:

Really? Holy crap, that's one of the highlights of the song for me.

I didn't notice anything missing, but the idea that there at some point was...:sad:

Yes, I feel the same way about those lyrics. Usually he has skipped the whole "We set ourselves on fire" part.

Luckily, I went to some of the early shows where he still sang those verses, at least occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom