Miss Sarajevo live during Vertigo appreciation and questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Varitek

Blue Crack Addict
(advance warning: ramblings of a procrastinating college student...)

On the Milan performances:

"We'd like to turn our song into a prayer...that we don't become a monster in order to defeat a monster..." This is beautiful, and I think better phrased than in Peace on Earth.

I love the end, the bit of creativity he's thrown in and that it's different on two consecutive nights....two great Bonologue bits... but why are they different?

On the version on the ABOY single, where in the recorded verison there's the bit about ribbons and xmas trees, Bono says:

Is there a time for shared values, a time to ????(3 syllables), is there a time, a time for human rights.

On the bootleg crowd version I have (6:37), he says:

Is there a time for changing values, is there a time to wear a blind(??), is there a time for keeping your mouth shut, is this the time for human rights

the bit in the ABOY single that I can't understand is definately NOT "wear a blind."

What's he saying that I can't hear? Also, does anyone know which night the ABOY single version was recorded on? The only other live version I have of Miss Sarajevo from Vertigo is from Philly 10/17 and he sticks with the latter, longer Bonologue. But is the version on the single a less controversial one intentionally? Hmmm...

And did the change of the 17 to synagogue in the 4th verse come when he added it to the Vertigo setlist? Certainly goes with the coexist theme quite well, but I wonder if Bono/the band thoguht about the change or if it was something Bono did spontaneously. Anybody?

Are you sure he is not referring to wearing of a blindfold as he dons the blindfold/hearband Coexist during LAPOE this tour? Bono is known to change lyrics on stage. All in all Miss Sarajevo was a welcome addition this tour and absolutely beautiful LIVE. It brings tears to my eyes, goosebumps hearing it there especially in the elipse LIVE! :wink:

He definitely says 'wear a blind' live ... he makes motions towards his head while doing it.

Mike

The second time the tears came to my eyes at the concert was during Miss Sarajevo. It was all so emotional...

I already liked the song... But now it is one of my favourites.

The opening of the Milan version:

"I'd like to dedicate this next song to those who lost their lives in London, in the U.K. bombings last week...I wanna turn this song into a prayer...and our prayer is that we, they, we do not become a monster...in order to defeat a monster...that's our prayer."

An absolutely stunning song when performed live. I feel really lucky to have heard it because it probably won't be back on future tours.

Back
Top Bottom