MERGED ----> Window In The Skies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DontExpect said:
did anyone else think about Africa on this one?

The lines that got it for me are the removed debts and the idea that "our love" or our aid has done so much in Africa. The first 8 lines also seem like they could apply to Africa too, what with the move towards peace "bullets quitting gones" "shakles being undone."

let me know if im the only one that thinks this, but perhaps it could have been the double meaning that bono was searching for!

I like this thought. For me I hear all three of the big themes (love, god, justice), and I'm perfectly comfortable not saying the song is not specifically about any one of them. From everything I've read about Bono's songwriting, I would guess he would be comfortable with that too. Right in the middle of contradiction?

U2isthebest said:

Yup! I hear that too.

You do? I am not convinced on that line, I hear the "gra-" part but the last bit of that word is not as clearly audible.

"Grade", possibly.

Also, "groove" - I only know the musical meaning of that word. What does it mean in these lyrics?

Last edited:
U2girl said:

You do? I am not convinced on that line, I hear the "gra-" part but the last bit of that word is not as clearly audible.

"Grade", possibly.

Also, "groove" - I only know the musical meaning of that word. What does it mean in these lyrics?

You're right about the last part of the word, but the closer I listen the more I hear a "v" sound. I could be wrong, but that's the closest to what I hear at the moment. In keeping w/the theme of the love/Salvation of God if the lyric is "the grave is now a groove" (which makes most sense in that context) "the grave" or death is now no longer a threat because of the what Jesus has done for him. One of the dictionary definitions for "groove" is "an enjoyable or exciting experience." Perhaps, Bono is saying that death is no longer something he fears (which I've heard him say many times) and while the experience itself won't be enjoyable, spending eternity with Jesus will be.

Last edited:
it's not grave, it's grain.

it's a wood/carpentry reference

In joinery, a groove is a slot or trench cut into a member which runs parallel to the grain. A groove is thus differentiated from a dado, which runs across the grain.

Grooves are used for a range of purposes in cabinet making and other woodworking fields. Typically, a groove is used to house the panels in frame and panel construction and the bottoms drawers.

A groove may be through, meaning that it passes all the way through the surface and its ends are open, or stopped, meaning that one or both of the ends finish before the groove meets edge of the surface.

the grain is/are the small lines you see running down a piece of wood... a groove is a deeper cut

in such a bittersweet love song, it's a great metaphor. what started small has now become much deeper... the grain is now a groove

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
it's not grave, it's grain.

it's a wood/carpentry reference

the grain is/are the small lines you see running down a piece of wood... a groove is a deeper cut

in such a bittersweet love song, it's a great metaphor. what started small has now become much deeper... the grain is now a groove

oh that is a sweet interpretation, I hadn't thought of it like that.. I'm always mishearing lyrics haha

I think this song is a celebration! I heard it for the first time this morning on the radio and it is instantly memorable.

My take is that this is a universal song about humanity: "Oh can't you see what our love has done" is about how us humans have changed the world, living through love. The change has happened!

Peace!

^ Maybe, but I thought it was more of a reference to bearing more than you would like to. I dunno.

Anyway, I, as I normally do, hear the lyrics slightly different to most people here.

I hear:

The shackles are undone,
The bullet's quit the gun,
The heat that's in the shot,
Will keep us when there's none.

It just makes more sense to me, and seems to fit with the rhyming pattern of the other verses as well.
I'm wrong a lot more often than I'm right though. :shrug:

^ Maybe, but I thought it was more of a reference to bearing more than you would like to. I dunno.

Strip tease: Yes that makes sense.

According to the U218 Booklet the lyric is:
"Please don't ever let me out of you"

Do we got this terribly wrong or..? ;)

No. It's definitely "here" from what I can tell. I literally just heard it 10 seconds ago. I have the studio version. This isn't the first time they've messed up. In the HTDAAB booklet, the lyrics for "LAPOE" read "You don't have time for a jealous lover", when Bono actually sings "You don't have time before a jealous lover". By the way, what is the word everyone's hearing differently: Is it "grain" "grade" or "grave"?

I thought that WAS "you don't have time for a jealous lover"

Personally I hear "grain".

U2girl said:
I thought that WAS "you don't have time for a jealous lover"

Personally I hear "grain".

No, it's definitely before. I've heard it from the first listen. That was my first reaction; wow I'm surprised they messed up in the U2 album booklet. LOL. He clearly says "before". I'm still waiting to see the official lyrics for "WITS", because not knowing that word is driving me crazy. LOL. I heard "grain" at first, but now I hear "grave"

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that...

I'm 99.99% positive. I could be wrong, but to me that's one of the clearer "disputed" lyrics to hear. I've actually read a review or two where they pointed this out. Also, when he sings it live, you can see he's saying "before", it's easier to hear with headphones, but I heard it without the first time I listened to it, as I happened to be reading the lyrics the first time it was playing. Nearly everyone I've spoken to about it, has noticed it too. I just listened to it again, even more carefull than usual. He clearly says "before"

Last edited:
DontExpect said:
did anyone else think about Africa on this one?

The lines that got it for me are the removed debts and the idea that "our love" or our aid has done so much in Africa. The first 8 lines also seem like they could apply to Africa too, what with the move towards peace "bullets quitting gones" "shakles being undone."

let me know if im the only one that thinks this, but perhaps it could have been the double meaning that bono was searching for!
'

Yes, I totally think this is clearly about his trip to Africa last spring!
Remember the NBC/Brian Williams interview when he referred to all the lyrics he wrote while on this trip? I think this song was clearly inspired by what he saw there...it is a song of gratitude to God about the progress he sees! I LOVE THIS SONG!!! It makes me cry out of joy!

i think it speaks about Africa and especially about the movement of DATA

the verse "oh cant you see what our love has done" could be reffered to the work of Data in Africa, and what its done (schools, hospital, medicals) with the help of people who donate (the love of people)

the verse "what is doing to me" it could be refeared to how the works for Africa make feel Bono better..........

dont know
i thought that especially 'cause this could be one of the 8 songs that bono wrote in africa this summer

I find this new song very Beatlesque, not that that's a bad thing. Quite a departure for them in style. I'd be interested in hearing their live treatment of this song. Perhaps they'll add it to the last few concert dates?

Back
Top Bottom