MERGED-->Misheard U2 lyrics...+ The Bono mispronunciation/misinterpretation thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angel_of_L.A.

Refugee
Misheard U2 lyrics...

Every time I sing along to HMTMKMKM and I get to the part where Bono goes:

"You're a headache
In a suitcase
You're a star..."

I always sing:
"You're a Kennedy
in a suitcase
you're a star..." :ohmy:

Now I know that's wrong but when I first learned the song, that's what I heard and out of habit, I sometimes sing it in error. I know I'm not alone in this and that all of us have misheard a lyric or 2.

So my question is, what U2 song(s) have you guys and dolls misheard and what were your filler lyrics?

For the longest time, I thought I heard "Now we lie together in ribbons and bows" in Love is Blindness. The actual lyrics are, of course, "Now we lie together in whispers and moans". I couldn't figure out what the hell he meant by ribbons and bows, and finally I checked the liner notes, felt like an idiot, and thought whispers and moans makes much more sense.

For the longuest time, I thought the words Bono sings at the end of One (the ones that are not in the booklet) were "Bacon, bacon, aaah", which I later found out was "Vacant, vacant heart". :lol: I am not kidding. Fyi, I was only 17 at the time, and English is not my first language ...

-Cyril

ylimeU2 said:
For the longest time, I thought I heard "Now we lie together in ribbons and bows" in Love is Blindness. The actual lyrics are, of course, "Now we lie together in whispers and moans". I couldn't figure out what the hell he meant by ribbons and bows, and finally I checked the liner notes, felt like an idiot, and thought whispers and moans makes much more sense.

Surely that's Ultraviolet? :huh:

Im always mishearing lyrics but i don't think i've ever done that with a U2 song because Bono sings pretty clearly...well at least as far as i can remember right now...

The sweetest thing.
"I know I got black eyes
But they burn so brightly for her"
I thought he was saying Black guys which made no sense at all

I know I have others but that one pops immediately into my head. Silly me.
:laugh:

:scratch: For me it was in the song....'SHFWILF...where he sings, I kissed Haughty lips..'..I thought he said..'Honey lips'! lol!:laugh: Changes that from a 'G' rating to 'X' rating! lol!:wink:

U2 version: just can't get enough of that lovey-dovey stuff.

my version: just can't get enough of that sub-atomic stuff.

They shoulda used my version dad-gummitt! :D

The Sage said:

Surely that's Ultraviolet? :huh:

Im always mishearing lyrics but i don't think i've ever done that with a U2 song because Bono sings pretty clearly...well at least as far as i can remember right now...

Yeah, it is Ultraviolet. I'm pretty out of it today. I noticed right after I posted, but I was kind of in a rush, so I didn't bother to edit. Besides, what can you really expect from a person who hears ribbons and bows instead of whispers and moans? :) Not to mention the fact that I have "Love is Blindness" stuck in my head today.

Last edited:
forbonou2 said:
:scratch: For me it was in the song....'SHFWILF...where he sings, I kissed Haughty lips..'..I thought he said..'Honey lips'! lol!:laugh: Changes that from a 'G' rating to 'X' rating! lol!:wink:

I think it is 'honey lips'. Thats what is says on the lyrics page (and most other lyrics pages I've seen). And I actually thought it was 'haunted lips' for the longest time.

The Sage said:

Umm..ummm... You speak Bongolese?

}:)~

Let's see, there's been quite a few for me ...

On ISHFWILF, I always think "I have spoke with eternal angels" instead of "I have spoke in the tongues of angels".

On Pride, "One man prayed with a kiss" instead of "betrayed".

On In God's Country, "dressed all in ribbons and bows," instead of "dress torn in ribbons and bows."

On SATS, "On a plane in suits and ties," instead of "armour-plated suits and ties."

Oh, there's many more, but I just can't think at the moment!

rivergoat said:

Umm..ummm... You speak Bongolese?

}:)~

:lmao:

These are so much fun! I love hearing about what other people have misheard.

Here's another one of mine, I remembered it when I was listening to the UF last night. In "Pride", for the longest time, I thought he was singing 'One war, in the name of love', and the actual lyric is 'What more in the name of love'. When I hear the song now, I don't know what I was thinking.

Last edited:
The silliest one, definitely, for me is from Wild honey:

"yeah just blowing in a breeze"

I heard "Edge is blowing in a breeze"

:coocoo:

Cyril said:
For the longuest time, I thought the words Bono sings at the end of One (the ones that are not in the booklet) were "Bacon, bacon, aaah", which I later found out was "Vacant, vacant heart". :lol: I am not kidding. Fyi, I was only 17 at the time, and English is not my first language ...

-Cyril

The falsetto right at the end?
I always thought that was just a "woah haaaaa-aah" random falsetto singing. Vacant heart? Will listen to the song again with that in mind...

my brother thought I will follow was:

whop away la dubai, I will follow

From Bullet the Blue Sky:

"I can see those fighter planes" sounds a lot like "I can see those spider brains".

UTEOTW:
'in the garden i was playing guitar' instead of 'in the garden i was playing the tart'

Porter said:
UTEOTW:
'in the garden i was playing guitar' instead of 'in the garden i was playing the tart'

same here

"we're still building and burning down low", when it should be "love" of course.

together with the line "i wanna tear down the walls that hold me inside" i started to believe the song had something to do with demolition... :coocoo:

Same here. I actually used to think it was "chicken eye"... I know it doesn't make any sense.

Back
Top Bottom