MERGED -> Embarrass yourself here! + Your Mighty Lyrical Stuff-Ups!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always thought that the line 'The more you have the more it takes today' in Last Night On Earth was 'the more you have the more it takes to beg....'

This doesn't actually count, because it's not U2's One but Bank of America's blasphemous but unintentionally hilarious version I thought it was "your universe at sea" and instead of "your university."

I thought "The heat that's in the sun will keep when there's none" was "The heat that's in the sun will keep when we're done."

Wire - I thought it was "anytime you're on me, kiss me" (anytime you're on THERE, kiss me)

MOFO - "a little wham bam" (been around back)

Vertigo - "Can I please go Vertigo" (I'm at a place called vertigo)

Varitek said:
I always thought "See the stone set in your eyes" was "See the storm set in your eyes" which I actually like better.

I'm also really good at saying the wrong preposition here and there...

Me, too! I didn't realize the correct lyric until the U218 Hunt the Lyric contest a few months ago! Oops!

Bono needs to remember what his father told him about taking care of the consonants and the vowels will take care of themselves. :)

bono_212 said:
:bono: :steps into confessional box: I thought Martin Luther Kind Junior was killed in the morning...and I sang this on one of my cds...and confused millions :sad:

But seriously, is the chorus to Pride one more in the name of love, or what more in the name of love?

I always thought it was "what more", but on the Sao Paulo bootleg dvd that I have (the show that was televised) they have Spanish (I'm assuming) translations of the lyrics for the audience - and though my Spanish is extremely limited, I could tell they were translating it as "one more".

Btw, does it count as mishearing or mis-singing if you're signing (as in American Sign Language) the closest you can get to the actual lyric? :wink: Because quite frankly, some of Bono's lyrics are really :censored: hard to find the exact word/meaning for at times, especially if you've had no actual training :lol:

Example: Sometimes you can't make it on your own - the closest I can get to this in sign language is Sometimes you can't live alone. Not quite the meaning, but the closest I can get through searching my signing dictionaries :wink:

I just realized that in Stay (Faraway So Close) it's "Hey now check your change" and not "Hey now take your change."

I can't decide which I like better. I had a hard time letting go of the meaning I had given the line but I like the new one too.

I could never understand what Bono was saying in Stuck in a Moment, thought it was something like fowelty... turns out it's supposed to be Fireworks.... :scratch: and I STILL can't hear it!

Galeongirl said:
I could never understand what Bono was saying in Stuck in a Moment, thought it was something like fowelty... turns out it's supposed to be Fireworks.... :scratch: and I STILL can't hear it!

Same here :lmao: :reject:

I kept listening to it over and over again... Then when I saw the lyrics I was like :huh:

greety said:
In I will follow, for a very long time I thought he sang:
If he stops to think, he starts to cry
a while..

instead of:
If he stops to think, he starts to cry
Oh why?

Really? I thought it was 'he starts to cry a while' too! Here's some of my screw-ups (from another thread):

In Kite, it's not a major difference, but I always hear, 'And somewhere I can taste the salty sea' rather than 'in summer'.

COBL, I heard the last lines as, 'Lessons not just for the ones who need it, luckily.' - I thought Bono was being a bit mean-spirited here, forcing lessons on those who don't need them.

LAPOE's bridge (my interepretation):
Baby don't fight
We can talk this thing through
With me, me and you
I call on you for
But to me you're still on etc

I just thought it was Bono-rambling!

I've had a lot of problems with the War album in terms of lyrics.

Like A Song...

And with weather they said change,
We stayed the same

And we love to wear a badge, you ne-whoah (Yes, that's what I heard)

In The Refugee:

War, war,
She is the refugee
Come on and say one day she's gonna live in America (instead of 'her mamma say')

Two Hearts Beat as One:

Beat on black, beat on white
Beat on yeah, and gon' get it right
Get on you, get on me, yeah (even thought it was some strangled attempt at 'The Edge!' at one point.)

I thought Bad had the lines:

Through silken skies
And burning flack
Killers clash, collide in blood-shot eyes.

Boy-Girl:

You make up, and I believe a lady's lie
Your skin it smells of strawberries and cream,
And sometimes, ice cream.

In A Little While

When the night takes a deep breath
And the daylight has no end

It makes more sense than 'the daylight has no air'

And that's it for now. There are plenty more muck-ups on my part I'm sure, but I can't think of any!

Wait it's "daylight has no air"????? that makes sense with "night takes a deep breath," I really, really like that....but I alwasy thoguht it was "daylight has no end."

F@#%. I can't believe this happened again....

But the shadows still remain since your descent--your descent

I hear "your descent - you're decent"

Until a weather change condemns belief

I hear "until a weather change, the dams released"

Varitek said:
Wait it's "daylight has no air"????? that makes sense with "night takes a deep breath," I really, really like that....but I alwasy thoguht it was "daylight has no end."

F@#%. I can't believe this happened again....

Me too, and still I forget and sing it that way all the time.

Not really a misheard lyrics, but I used to think "through appliance of science, we've got that ring of condfidence" was a reference to a nuclear bomb.

U2girl said:
Not really a misheard lyrics, but I used to think "through appliance of science, we've got that ring of condfidence" was a reference to a nuclear bomb.
Also not a misheard lyric, but speaking of Zooropa, the first time I listened to it, before it even got to the vocals, I was looking at the printed lyrics, and misread "It could be yours tonight" as "I could be yours tonight" and I was like 'Oh, Bono :flirt:'

:lol:

Posted by WakOn21:

Ad #3: Yes I know you all think it's "donde esta". But I listened to the song like a hundred times, and I still hear como esta. There's definitely no 'd' sound in what he sings.
Oh and don't come up with the argument "here's an mp3 of the concert in xxx, he sings donde esta" because we're talking about the album version here, not live versions.

I'm sorry I must contradict you here, I've listened to the album's, the single's and the Jacknife Lee 7" versions and Edge, not Bono, sings "¿dóde está?" in all of them, maybe you don't hear the -d sound because in Spanish it is not implosive, that is, the sound is much softer than in English.
You are right in Bono's pronouncing "unos" instead of "uno", but he has intrusive -s sounds in English too...

Back
Top Bottom