Making stories out of U2 lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
Hey everyone! I just wanted to tell you about this and see what you guys thought of it. I've started to listen to my favorite U2 songs and while listening to them I write the lyrics in 'story form'. I did it with One Tree Hill, tell me what you think:

You turn away to face the cold, enduring chill. As the day begs the night for mercy, love. Your sun’s so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars. Carved into stone on the face of earth. The Moon is up, over One Tree Hill. We see the sun go down in your eyes.

“You run like a river, on like a sea.”
“You run like a river runs to sea.”

And in the world a heart of darkness, a fire zone. Where poets speak their hearts…then bleed for it. Jara sang - his song a weapon. In the hands of one, whose blood still cries, from the ground.

“It runs like a river runs to the sea.”
“It runs like a river to the sea.”

“I don’t believe in painted roses…or bleeding hearts.” While bullets rape the night of the merciful. I’ll see you again when the stars fall from the sky and the Moon has turned red over One Tree Hill.

“we run like a river runs to the sea.”
“We run like a river to the sea.”

“And when it’s raining, raining hard. That’s when the rain will break the heart.”

“Oh great ocean.
Oh great sea.
Run to the ocean.
Run to the sea.”

This one's my favorite one I've done so far. Sure you can guess which song it is:

Summer stretching on the grass, summer dresses pass. In the shade of a willow tree creeps a crawling over me - over me and over you - stuck together with God’s glue. It’s going to get stickier too, it’s been a long hot summer. Let’s get undercover. Don’t try too hard to think, don’t think at all.

I’m not the only one staring at the sun. Afraid of what you’d find, if you took a look inside. I’m not just deaf and dumb, staring at the sun. I’m not the only one who’s happy to go blind.

There’s an insect in your ear, if you scratch it won’t disappear. It’s going to itch and burn and sting, you want to see what the scratching brings. Waves that leave me out of reach, breaking on your back like a beach. Will we ever live in peace? Cause those that can’t do, often have to…and those that can’t do, often have to preach…

…To the ones staring at the sun. Afraid of what you’ll find if you took a look inside. I’m not just deaf and dumb; I’m staring at the sun. I’m not the only one who’d rather go blind.

Intransigence all around, military’s still in town. Armor plated suits and ties. Daddy just won’t say goodbye. Referee won’t blow the whistle, God is good but will he listen? I’m nearly great, but there’s something missing. I left it in the duty free. But you never really belonged to me.

You’re not the only one staring at the sun. Afraid of what you’ll find if you step back inside. Not sucking on my thumb, I’m staring at the sun. I’m not the only one who’s happy to go blind.

Back
Top Bottom