Lyrics you could live without

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm putting in another vote for "heavy as a truck" being pretty crap. Should've been 'drug' or even 'f...'. nah..
But from Electrical Storm I really don't like
"And if the sky can crack, there must be someway back."
It sounds like something from a Live song.

"the cartoon network turns into the news"
is meant to mean something light and meaningless suddenly becoming something heavy and nasty. So it gets my thumbs up.

And the line from Babyface in one of the first posts
"Open up the door, let me unpack my case"
could also be something 'adult' in nature as well...

New York is pretty poor all around, mostly cos its a song about New York and just about all the well known NY songs are fantastic. If his theme is NY, it could've been alot better...

I don't like Grace either.

Lyrics

TylerDurden said:
I'm putting in another vote for "heavy as a truck" being pretty crap. Should've been 'drug' or even 'f...'. nah..

"the cartoon network turns into the news"
is meant to mean something light and meaningless suddenly becoming something heavy and nasty. So it gets my thumbs up.

And the line from Babyface in one of the first posts
"Open up the door, let me unpack my case"
could also be something 'adult' in nature as well...

New York is pretty poor all around, mostly cos its a song about New York and just about all the well known NY songs are fantastic. If his theme is NY, it could've been alot better...

I don't like Grace either.

I BEG TO DIFFER ON GRACE. I LOVE THE LYRICS IN THAT SONG, THEY JUST ROLL OFF THE TOUNGE. IF MORE PEOPLE LIVED IN GRACE THIS WORLD WOULD BE A LOT NICER PLACE TO LIVE.

TylerDurden said:

I don't like Electrical Storm. I think it's poor musically or lyrically. I never liked and I think dislike it more each time I hear it.

"coffee is cold but it will get you throug"
"if the sky can crack there must be some way back" :no:

lyrics

Ali Rose said:
MIAMI....MY MAMMY....

WTF? :der: :huh:

I also agree with just about every one above exept the cartoon network turning into the news....basically a metaphor for something fun/good going bad?????

The Wild honey lyrics can also seriously jump in a lake---"I was a monkey?? Stealin honey from a swarm of bees??" had to have been written by his young children or something, I swear.....

I will admit there are some slight lyrical downslides in a few songs in ATYCLB....*hides* :reject:

My opiniion---lyrical peak was Achtung Baby. Go ahead...try to find one bad lyric in there!!

:shame: on me for thinking this.....

"Can we still (or just) be friends" from Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses. Don't know why, it always bugged me.

I've always really disliked the lyric in Silver and Gold about 'See them bright and shiny things...' For one thing, I don't like the word shiny, it seems too... childish. For another, the phrase just seems too... odd. You know what I mean?

UltravioletU2 said:
In the previous post there were several mentions of terrible lyrics, ex. "mole digging in a hole".

:scream: what???

this lyric is precious!!

:D

*points at user name*

:wink:

oh and personally I love the lyrics of New Yoork.. they strike as very open and human

:hmm: I know U2 songs I don't like.. but I don't think I have a particulare dirslike of any lyric
need to think about that

Last edited:
Sad as this is, some of U2's more recent works have some of the worst lyrics. American Prayer (from the DATA lectures) and Electrical Storm, while not bad, seem to reflect a band that has seen better days (which I don't personally think is true).

Other thoughts:

*Party Girl -- good song, but the lyrics are goofy.
*Most Bullet the Blue Sky rants
*Two Hearts Beat as one -- another great song with kinda goofy lyrics ("Well I can't stop to dance. Maybe this is my last chance.")
*"Now kings will rule and the poor will toil. And tear their hands as they tear the soil. But a day will come in this dawning age.
When an honest man sees an honest wage". From Van Dieman's Land. Again, not necessarily bad, but it seems artificial coming from U2 and not any given country-folk singer.

Wow, this is great. Amazing how so many can love and hate the same thing.

I don't like Electrical Storm at all. The "heavy as a truck" or not, it all makes me cringe, except the chorus, it's not too bad.

"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me", I loathe this line, incredibly escapist. Might as well read a good self help book. There is a lot on October that irks me.

I love New York and Miami.
"In New York freedom looks like
too many choices" The first time I heard that I was hooked.

I think Pop is lyrically amazing. Except for the sun and rain metaphors, we could do without those. Wake Up Dead Man is speactacular: "listen to your words...." that whole section is amazing.

"Take the money, honey" doesn't fit, sounds very forced.

The end of Kite bugs me, the "last of the rock stars" bit, seems out of place in such a beautiful song.

I think Wild Honey is good fun, but total throw away.

most of some days are better than others, really the only song i have a problem with

i actually really like new york...

"Freedom looks like too many choices" as iacrobat said... i liked that lyric...

"in the stillness of the evening, when the sun has had its day, i heard your voice whispering, come away child..."

i also really really like that lyric. i guess im in a minority here.

what i dont like is the entire 'daddys gonna pay for your crashed car'...

just dont like the song or lyrics

Hmmm ... there are some U2 lyrics that make me cringe ... already mentioned by everyone else eg heavy as a truck, the monkeys, trees, hot as a handbag in a can of mace? What is that supposed to mean?

Some of the lyrics out of Discoteque are pretty ... childish maybe ~ "You know you're chewing on bubblegum, you know what that is but you still want some, you just can't get enough of that lovey-dovey stuff." Is it meant to be ironic? I hope so!

During "One" when he says "more than alot".....less than creative...really what is more than alot?:tongue:

U2 really doesn't do it too often... actually I can't think of a single one, but when a songwriter uses the word "breathe" you can tell they are alittle cliched.

Back
Top Bottom