Lyrics that you identify with: Lyrics that describe your life, or part of it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Another U2 nut!

Acrobat
Lol Mum says that if I ever get married, the walking-down-the-aisle song should be NUMB! "Don't think, don't worry...don't hope for too much'!

No, seriously, what are some U2 lyrics that you can strongly identify with, that seem to be written for something that happened in your life, or for a particular way you felt? Are there words that make you think, "Hey, that's me", and consequently have a special place in your heart? I'd love to hear what they are, and why they mean so much to you.

I'll start:

All of Walk On kind of summarised a particular difficult passage in my life, one that had to do with acquiring faith and copping it big time from my family! But Bono told me to walk on, because no one could steal what I had.

From Love is Blindness:

"Love is clockwork, and cold steel, fingers too numb to feel"

cuz I have no luck there (boy-girl luv that is, not that wonderful kind of love you have for family and friends). It looks to me like something mechanical and distant, cold, and unattainable(well, I havent exactly looked, but I'm easily soured).

Mysterious Ways: If you wanna kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel, on your knees boy! LOL this guy was horrid to me, and then kept trying to contact me even though I told him I wanted nothing to do with him! After months of him sending me messages, I rang him, quoted that line and hung up. If he wanted to kiss the sky again, he had to learn some humility.

Well of course there's more, but I want to hear your stories now!

the song that almost describe every day of my life is :
Running To Stand Still

i think this song is about a strong girl who don't like to be in a position of laying still--> meanning : if something butter her she will do something to solve it and won't let it just pass away.
she will prefer running in order to get what she wants and when she will, then she will stand still--> standing still is a better position then laying still...

i always felt like this song is about me because i have found myself fighthing for things in my life for many times.
like going to university and study what i want although my family and friends told me this proffetional is too difficult for me and that this university is too much difficult and far away from home.
fighting my parents for things that i want to do in my own way.
a medical problem which i was born with and had to go through lots of serguries in order to be able to deal with the every day life normally.
that's why the line "she will suffer the needle chill , she is running to stand still"
means a lot to me.

I have an incredible connection with Walk On. That song has meant so much for me over the years. A similar thing goes for the Pop CD - I know some say October is U2's most spiritual record, but I feel it's Pop. Wake Up Dead Man in particular. Some stuff on there ... it's said how I've felt or supported me, and I love the CD.

Hmmm...

Love:

I never thought you were a fool
But darling, look at you
You gotta stand up straight
Carry your own weight
These tears are going nowhere, baby
-"Stuck In A Moment"

I related to this verse quite well during 11th grade-I've shared the story many times before about my crush, and this part helped me through it.

Religion:

Yeah, I'd break bread and wine
If there was a church I could receive in
-"Acrobat"

God has got his phone off the hook, babe
Would he even pick up if he could?
-"If God Will Send His Angels"

and all the lyrics to "Wake Up Dead Man"

These lyrics sum up all the questions I have in regards to religion so perfectly. I do believe in a god, but I still have so many questions, and I feel so uncomfortable with organized religion, with church in general, and it's just nice to have these songs here, it's nice to be able to know someone else understands and has these questions, too.

War/Peace:

I can't believe the news today
Oh, I can't close my eyes and make it go away
-"Sunday Bloody Sunday"

Angry words won't stop the fight
Two wrongs won't make it right
-"Like A Song"

and all the lyrics to "Peace On Earth"

Again, these all express so well the feelings I have in regards to those issues. And "Peace On Earth" I really relate to, particularly at the part about Christmastime. It'd be wonderful if everybody were nice to each other every single day of the year, and not just during the holidays.

So there's all the songs that mean something to me personally.

Angela

The first U2 song I remember identifying with on a very personal level is "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." I felt like Bono was describing my own spiritual life. It's like he read my journals or something.

Bad wrapped itself around my brain the first time I heard it and never let go, some 20 years later.
They seem like simple lines, not terribly deep or meaningful but they've stayed with me all my life...

Wide awake.... I'm wide awake, I'm not sleeping...

A Day Without Me also spoke to me very early on in my life. I never heard it described so well, the single moment, look or action that can send your whole world tumbling towards suicide...

I started a landslide in my ego....

There were times, being a teen in the 80s involved in politics and protest, that I fell back on Like A Song.... the sheer rage and emptiness I felt losing friends and family to HIV, losing stands on apartheid (in high school we had a very active Amnesty International chapter and worked to free several young men from jail in South Africa) and even into the first Gulf war.... I could go home and put this on and scream myself hoarse and somehow find more strength in it.

Certainly Walk On, because I had a crisis last summer... Then I heard Walk On on the radio in car. I came home and listened to it a few times in a row :). So everytime I have problems, it reminds me to Walk On.
I love also WTSHNN and ISHFWILF, they have powerful lyrics.
BTW Do you know when U2 changed verse in WTSHNN from
"I wanna take shelter from the poison rain"
to
"I wanna dance, dance, dance in the dirty rain"? :D. I'm lovin that one.

Drowning Man ... especially these lines.

Hold on, hold on tightly.
Hold on, and hold on tightly.
Rise up, rise up with wings like eagles.
You run, you run.
You run and not grow weary

I understand the whole song as being sung from God's perspective, showing that his encouragement and love for his children will last forever. That's really inspiring for me!

I found this Bible verse on a little card that my mum stuck on our fridge ...

"They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shalll mount up with wings as eagles. They shall run and not be weary, and they shall walk and not faint" (Isaiah 40:31).

Having listened to Drowning Man many, many times before, of course I recognised it. It meant a lot to me because when I was younger I had problems with my legs, had to go to the hospital a lot and never was able to run without being weary! I can hardly ever remember Bible verses that I've read (word for word that is) but this one I can, thanks to U2. And it's given me a lot of hope, so I can really identify with it.

Acrobat is my song. I can listen to it over and over and over cause it connects to me somehow.

"Don't believe what you hear don't believe what you see
If you close your eyes you can see the enemy"

"Oh nothing makes sense
Nothing seems to fit, I knew you would hit out
if you only knew where to hit"

"And I'd join the movement if there was one I could believe in,
yeah I'd rape bread and wine if there was a church I could receive in cause I need it now"

"And I must be an acrobat to talk like this and act like that,
and you can dream so dream out loud and don't let the bastards grind you down"

and then Edge's geetar.....

"You got to cry without weeping
talk without speaking scream without raising your voice"

This lines are perfect to describe me when Iim feeling so down.

And also "Stuck in a moment" is the same way: you know, when Bono sings "this tears are going noway" it's the perfect way to say: "c'mon, it's time to react! Stop crying and DO something"

"Stuck in a moment" can describe so well a hard period of life, as well as "Walk on" tell ya to "leave it behind". Now, if you only could find the way to keep it in mind every moment, maybe you will suffer less!
:wink:

I'll go with Out Of Control...I was the special one in the family so i got this.

Boys And Girls Go To School, And Girls Make Children,Not Like This One.

as an artist, as a student and just as a night person, i gotta go with,
"midnight is where the day begins"- from "lemon"

as well as,

"every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief;
all kill their inspiration and sing about their grief"- from "the fly"

i just had a faculty art critique of my art work this semester (college) and each member ripped me apart. every night leading up to the critique, i was up way beyond midnight. the last quote leaves me with a very cinical attitide, as does "the fly".

Grace:

"What once was hurt,
What once was friction
What left a mark
No longer stings
Because grace makes beauty out of ugly things"

There are way too many to chose from; depending on my mood - i think lots of the lyrics in "Acrobat" identify and speak to the Generation X crowd (with so many causes to choose from, so many lies out there, and sometimes being a hypocrite).
Growing older and seeing things from a different perspective (as i am now married and our folks and relatives are getting older) lots of lyrics in "Kite" and "Walk On" really hit home.

Back
Top Bottom