Lyric Analysis - October 17, 2000 - Summer Rain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Achtung Bubba

Refugee
Okay, everyone.

The new single has been released, and most of us should have access to the two new B-sides, "Summer Rain" and "Always". So, let's use this thread as a place to analyze the lyrics and the meaning of the first B-side, "Summer Rain".

I'll start a thread for "Always" next week, and I might close both threads around the release of All That You Can't Leave Behind to archive later.

If you have any extraneous comments/suggestions, please refer to the "Lyric Analysis" thread in this forum. And if you need to see the lyrics, go to John Siracusa's Lyrics Archive for a look at what we'll probably use as the standard lyrics: http://www.interference.com/u2la/lyrics/singles/all-behind/summer-rain.html

So... what's your take on "Summer Rain"?

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

I need to hear it in order to really interpret it. DIE TOWERRECORDS!!!

------------------
"Somebody had to out Spinal-Tap Spinal-Tap!"

"Tequila and Orange
Jamaica and rum
At the Morella
Honey on my tongue"

I really love the way these lyrics sound just before bass and drums come in.

I think this songs shows some very good songwriting.
I just had it a bit with the symbolic use of 'rain'.

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Summer Rain is a continuation of U2's performance of "Don't Take Your Guns To Town."

The song is about a guy who went to the islands and had a kick-ass vacation, and everything went well until... he did or said some damn thing that threw it all off. He tossed his friends or his lover aside and had his own good time, and, well now he's alone.

A bit simplistic?

Back
Top Bottom