line in When Love Comes to Town.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
help me with this! and if discussed, please attach me. :D

anyhow, question is:

'I was a fighter, I could turn on a thread'

what does that mean?

was it meant to be 'threat' (which sounds better), and Bono changed it to go with next line?

also, is he leaving someone at the altar, after finding a new love?

thanks.

love this song! its so raunchy, and like a finding a little box filled with dynamite that explodes when opened, covering your body in gentle kisses all over, while you listen to Bono's course voice echo round you making you feel wrapped in his arms as he sings in a heartfelt manner.

ya get?

I have no idea what "turn on a thread" means. I don't think he is leaving someone at the alter - the whole song is about indescresions ("maybe I was wrong to ever let you down") and general douchery ("I was making promises I was soon to forget") and youthful indirection (sailor lost at sea) before "love comes to down" - before he truly discovered love, which changed his ways - "I've seen love conquer the great divide" and the admission of "Maybe I was wrong to ever let you down but I did what I did before love came to town."

Hope that helps. It's a trully :combust: song, especially live on Lovetown.

I'd always taken Turn on a thread to be similar to turning on a dime, being really manoeuvrable, a fighter with good footwork.

Thus as a fighter (bullshitter or whatever) it means he was really good at it.

</stalk>

coolian2 said:
I'd always taken Turn on a thread to be similar to turning on a dime, being really manoeuvrable, a fighter with good footwork.

</stalk>

:up: Agreed with your statement of its meaning.

coolian2 said:

</stalk>

yep. i believe this is correct. stopping on a dime would be for somebody with great agility/speed but wouldn't work and i believe turning on a thread means a similar thing, just more for a fighter/boxer/agility wise.

Back
Top Bottom