Lay down your guns, all your K-Marters, all you Americans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I think everyone noticed the new line in Love and peace from last night. What's your interpretation? (the K-Marter bit obviously)

Is he talking about those that shot at other people, looted in the stores, raped women...?

(or is it K-martyr?)

Last edited:
when i heard that i was really surprised. for the life of me, i cannot imagine what it means. it's vague almost to the point of stupidity. if anyone has any ideas, i would love to hear them.

Didnt Kmart used to sell guns. Maybe its about the ease of walking into a store and buying a gun along with your groceries.

Celticfc said:
Didnt Kmart used to sell guns. Maybe its about the ease of walking into a store and buying a gun along with your groceries.

Yeah, I think so. I mean; I've often walked into my local supermarket and thought; "If only I could buy an Armalite AR-10 Semi Automatic Gas Operated Assault rifle with my shaving foam and orange juice and cheese."

:eyebrow: Guns and supermarkets. Bizarre.

bonosgirl84 said:
when i heard that i was really surprised. for the life of me, i cannot imagine what it means. it's vague almost to the point of stupidity. if anyone has any ideas, i would love to hear them.

Watch the movie "Bowling for Columbine"

Celticfc said:

:hmm: Could be...

"when i heard that i was really surprised. for the life of me, i cannot imagine what it means. it's vague almost to the point of stupidity. if anyone has any ideas, i would love to hear them."

----------------------------------------------

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one that thought it was a bit out of place.

It would have been better had U2 just done a straight forward version of one of their more inspirational songs rather than to attempt to be "relevant".

Just my opinion. :wink:

bonosgirl84 said:

so it's a direct reference to something in the film?

The film shed light on the fact that in America at one time it was relatively easy to buy guns and ammunition at the chain of department stores called K-Mart.

The film touched upon the fact that the bullets from K-Mart were sold to the teens that went on a shooting rampage at Columbine High School in 1999.

david said:

The film shed light on the fact that in America at one time it was relatively easy to buy guns and ammunition at the chain of department stores called K-Mart.

The film touched upon the fact that the bullets from K-Mart were sold to the teens that went on a shooting rampage at Columbine High School in 1999.

ah, i see.

yes, you can buy guns and such at the walmart near where i live.

but then that leaves the question, what does that have to do with katrina?

bonosgirl84 said:

ah, i see.

yes, you can buy guns and such at the walmart near where i live.

but then that leaves the question, what does that have to do with katrina?

I remember reading about a Walmart or a K-Mart that was looted of all its guns. Maybe he was talking about that?

packcrush said:

I remember reading about a Walmart or a K-Mart that was looted of all its guns. Maybe he was talking about that?

Exactly. I think it fits & was okay to put it in there. Part of the reason aid was delayed was the fear of the misfits that were running around shooting at helicopters, etc. (true story: a friend of mine drove a truck filled with supplies down & was stopped & told to turn around because it wasn't safe). The argument of the song is "love and peace," which fits this situation perfectly---the only way to heal the hearts & minds of everyone touched by the disaster is to promote love and peace and forget about all this hooligan stuff.

Watch as Bono now sings this every night of the third leg, baffling one and all on Interference until someone comes along with a complex but watertight theory that makes the line sound very reasonable and sensible after all.

Axver said:
Watch as Bono now sings this every night of the third leg, baffling one and all on Interference until someone comes along with a complex but watertight theory that makes the line sound very reasonable and sensible after all.

:lmao:

I'd assume it was reference either to the looters or to ordinary people.

is it a reference to the gun control problem in america

is it a reference to the looters

is it a reference to the soldiers that were given permission to shoot on sight?

who knows

It's a reference to humans and on this paticular occasion the humans living in America to put down your damn guns and start respecting one and other. I don't care who he was refering to he's right. Whether it's the looters, the soldiers, the mafia, the terrorists, the gangs, the random criminals who shoot for the sake of it. Just put the guns down is what he's saying.

shart1780 said:
Bono is much too intelligent to Reference Bowling for Columbine.

Or is he...?

would he be less intelligent if he did reference that documentary?

i mean bowling for columbine shed light on a serious problem in america.

Back
Top Bottom