It's official - U2 lyrics predict the future?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caimh

Babyface
Hi,

My name is Caimh McDonnell and I'm a long time U2 fan although this is my first post on this fantastic site. I'm looking for help from the U2 fan community with a problem I have.

I'm an Irish writer/performer and I'm bringing a show to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 2005 called "A brief history of the future". It's basically a light hearted look at mankinds obsession with the future and predicting it. Part of it will deal with the predictions of Nostradamus. Now, while everyone has heard of him not everyone realises that Nostradamus gave all his predictions in the form of four line poems. These have then been enterpreted by many different peoples in many different ways.

So what's all that got to do with U2 you ask? Well, personally I'm not a great believer in Nostradamus, although obviously I respect anyone's right to believe in whatever they like. I've made the bet though that I'm sure I could find some of Bono's lyrics that could be seen to "predict the future". Just to be clear, I'm clearly not suggesting that's what he's trying to do, I'm merely using U2 to illustrate the point on how easy it is to interpret things after the fact.

So, essentially what I'm looking for is any U2 lyrics that were written before any significant event occured that could be interpreted as a prediction after the fact. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate hearing from you. Obviously I've no intention of taking the piss out of U2 through this.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I hope you can help.

Cheers,

Caimh

I think there is a thread about this in Musical Journey. I'll look around for it.
You might get a better response if someone moves this to EYKIW.

IO = NO U2 TALK ;)

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't realise this was in the wrong area. If someone would like to move it I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Caimh

these lines of 'please' from the pop album were written with violence in Ireland and the peace process in mind, but took a new meaning after sept 11, 2001-

"September, streets capsizing
Spilling over down the drains
Shards of glass, splinters like rain
But you could only feel your own pain

October, talk getting nowhere
November, Decemeber; remember
We just started again.

Please, Please, Please"

Back
Top Bottom