Is it true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Partially, but I seem to remember a radio interview with Bono where he said it was also influenced by another friend of his (who is not a celebrity or public figure).

I think it would be fair to say that Michael Hutchence's death had an impact on the lyric, Bono has clearly stated this in many interviews, and on stage.

But I don't think it was the only influence. Bono has shown before that he is capable of writing songs about two or more different things, eg One. Stuck is (IMO) a song about an emotion, a feeling of helplessness, far more than it is a song about any specific person or event.

When Bono wants to write a heartfelt song about a specific subject, he does so with striking clarity, eg Two Shots of Happy; Mothers of the Disappeared; Electric Co.; Miracle Drug. But this song is not so obvious.

I think it gets fashionable to give songs specific meanings or subjects even when sometimes that isn't the case. It gives them credibility, or added emotional depth ... "Wow, that song's so touching, it's about..."

I'm not sure if Stuck can claim this. I always wished it could, but it never quite convinced me.

I wish it had of, I'd like it more.:(

Bono cerrtainly dedicated the song to Michael Hutchence before many of its performances on the Elevation tour.

Whether or not the song itself was written specifically with Michael Hutchence in mind, or whether he thought about the relevance at a later date is up for debate.,

When Bono was in Australia on the Popmart tour, "he was stuck in a moment he couldn't get out of" was his most commonly repeated phrase to any interviewers question on Hutchence (Popmart hit Australia only a couple of months after he died).

I heard rumours about the death of Michael Hutchence, referring to the fact that he didn't committed suicide but died for a sort of accident.
Do you know anything about this?

rumour was he was involved in an extravagant sexual act (asphixiation) that went wrong. Apparently he was well known to participate in such acts regularly.
However, it was apparently just a hopeful rumour.

Still. Ultimate rock star death. :wink:

Bono once said in an interview that it was about Hutchence but that he didn't feel comfortable with the song until while Paula Yates was alive because she was unable to accept that Michael committed suicide, but instead she believed that it was a sex gamegone wrong. After she died Bono either wrote or released the song because it no longer was an issue for her.

Back
Top Bottom