Interpretations of Acrobat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LDM007

The Fly
What do you think this song is about?

I've heard such things as the conflict in Ireland and someone who is having trouble accepting that they are an atheist.

Also, if this were to fit into Bill Flanagan's "Nighttown" theory for Achtung Baby, would those two ideas I stated above still fit?

One I've heard is it's Bono kind of venting frustrations about being stereotyped as the "80's Bono," and not seen as anything but a zealot determined to make the world a better place. He's taking a stab at all the press and paparazzi that were so obsessed with U2's 80's image, telling them that they're not, (and maybe never were), what they appeared to be back then.

"Don't believe what you hear, Don't believe what you see," sounds like a warning to listeners about the gossip collums and entertainment news tendencies to make up lies.
It could also be saying that, although the band may look to be a certain way, they aren't necessarily like that.

"What happened to your face of melting snow? Now it looks like this!" Suggests a loss of innocence. U2 is no longer the 'nice' band they appeared to be in the 80's.

"And you can swallow, or you can spit, you can throw it up, or choke on it," You can accept the change in U2's style, or you can let them fade away.

"And you can dream, so dream out loud," We're still just as earnest as we were -- still saying what we feel.

"And don't let the bastards grind you down." Don't let others (the press, for this interpretaion) devalue your creativity.

I can't be bothered explaining more. I think that's pretty clear anyway. :wave:

But, as always, this isn't the only plausible interpretation. I don't even like it that much. :shrug:

it's open for interpretation but I like to think Acrobat is about Bono feeling like a hypocrite. He preaches about the starving in africa and the people dying w/ aids in africa yet he lives like a king w/ millions and millions banked.

Numb1075 said:
it's open for interpretation but I like to think Acrobat is about Bono feeling like a hypocrite. He preaches about the starving in africa and the people dying w/ aids in africa yet he lives like a king w/ millions and millions banked.

I think this interpretation has more to do with Gone... But that's just me;)

I don't know what the band thinks about this song but I agree with Megan...

Anyway I always listen to it when I'm mad at somethin, because the lyrics are so angry... But in the end it turns out to be calm and optimistic... And I like the "Don't let the bastards grind you down".

I think it has to do with both Meghan, AND Numb's reasons. "I must be an acrobat, to talk like this(about helping the poor) and act like that (buying expensive items and spending large amounts of money) kind of reminds me of the term "tapdancing" used for politicians. Instead, Bono is doing acrobatics.

And definitely the swallow or spit, throw it up or choke on it, I would say has to do with accepting them as they are and as they develop as artists, or not accepting them. And also about everyone else doing the same in their lives, and letting themselves evolve without guilt of "selling out" or not being true to themselves.

or something :wink:

I don't think it's specific, I think it's about several things at once.
Bono has never been better than when he penned this song.

Personally, I think the intention of the song, outside of literal meanings, was sort of letting the listener in on the 'con' of ZootV and Achtung, the flipside of the irony.

While the lyrics refer to many different supposed duplicitous things, from being rich and trying to feed the poor to being a rock start holding onto idealism and credibilty on down the line, I think the song personally is the 'message to the base' that there is still sincerity there.

While it may be confused and conscience of it's perceived hypocrisy, it's saying "don't believe what you hear, don't beleive what you see" we still stand for the same things, we just needed to change the delivery.

Essentially it's the punchline to "dreaming it all up again' in that, this is what they chose to do. And saying "don't let the bastards grind you down" is saying you are in on the joke, and the joke is on the bastards.

They originally wanted to open ZooTv with this song.
I think that plays a part of what I'm trying to say, if I articulated it well enough. It was the prelude to the whole opera, so to speak.

Last edited:
this is probably my favorite u2 song, but i've never thought about what bono meant specifically when he was writing it. i've always just interpreted it as someone who is extremely conflicted because they are constantly being forced to be someone they are not. i think we all put forth an image of ourselves that is untrue to some degree so people will accept us or judge us a certain way. and in the song, it's like bono is saying, 'what am i doing this for? why am i acting this way?' and just coming to the realisation that you shouldn't let other people push you around and force you to be someone else. 'don't let the bastards grind you down.'

also, there's that 'what have i become?' element, but again, it's like you're forced to change who you really are... and then you become jaded because of it. it's such a powerful song!

Back
Top Bottom