In God's Country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seankirkland

The Fly
Recently I was on a site that told how U2 were evil (more or less) because the lyrics to IGC say, "I stand with the sons of Cain." What do you think this song means, overall? From what I can tell, it might be tongue-in-cheek (satirical, to some degree).....could've been U2's first foray into the "irony" so many said they got into during ZooTV period :)

Thoughts on this song??

I think he's talking about America (she is Liberty, she comes to rescue me - refers to Lady Liberty), all the people that moved into US to work and live there.
I stand with the sons of Cain probably means that he feels empathy for the poorest of those people.

Sons of Cain, decendants of sinful people. That's it, we all are decendants of sinful people. I don't think it's tounge in cheek and I don't think it's said in a boastful way either.

I know what site you're talking about and I wouldn't take anything they say seriously, they're all full of shit.

I checked out the "goodfight" site and listened to the raspy voice guy. He is way off. He highlights 1% of U2's lyrics/actions (which are taken way out of context by the way), and totally ignores the other 99%.

I think mr. raspy truly believes what he says, he just doesn't understand that U2 doesn't make music only for believers, but also the lost. Jesus made a statement that He didn't come to earth to heal the well, but to heal the sick (the lost).

I love a lot of christian music and groups like the newsboys and DC talk, etc. but there isn't a very high percentage of non- believers at their concerts.

I have been a believer and a U2 fan for a long time.

Check out my site for more info on U2's spiritual side:
htt p://www.mindspring.com/~twhite21/main/U2Main.html (without the space in htt p)

Yeah, I looked up that 'sons of Cain' - turns out that one of the descendants of Cain mentioned in Genesis was Jubal "he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ." (i.e. musicians)

goat

Exactly! It's a reference to being a musician...nothing evil!

Some who are reading this article now, and are ignoring its warnings to their own peril, will return to it later perhaps after their faith is eroded and aknowledge that this has been the case. Our hearts break for all the rock and roll casualties we have seen as millions of young people have been seduced into lifestyles glorifying rebelion, violence, drugs and sexual promiscuity through popular rock bands.

Thats from the goodfight website. Its in the Creed article right after it gets done talking about how Creed were going to be the new U2 and deceive naive Christians. How scary and frustrating. I wonder what this guy would say about a believer like Johnny Cash?

"We strongly advise you to say a prayer and fasten your spiritual seat belts as you embark on the journey that can truly change your life"

ha ha ha
this site is awesome if you're in need of a good laugh! i've also read or watch the video clips of other artists such as the backstreet boys or spice girls etc. it's really amusing to read about their interpretations of the lyrics, concerts and other stuff.
i think that any band on earth (except true christian bands :) has lyrics or even sounds that the Fight The Good Fight Ministries would find it satanistic or sth. like that.

but hey, who am i to say that they might not be wrong haha.

cheers
kl

As for IGC.... I think the part I found to be possibly satirical is this: "hope, faith, and vanity.... the greatest gift is gold." This seems like a play on the Bible, where "hope, faith, and the greatest of these is love" is the way it's stated. Like it's pointing out the materialistic way of life in America?

Back
Top Bottom