If you don't know....electric co.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponee

The Fly
This lyric has been bugging me for over 20 years now.

"...if you don't know...electric co."

Well, I don't know what it means, and I called my electric co. and they didn't seem to know either. So the electric co. is not the vast resource of knowledge that the songs lyric implies. Then what is this about?

D

LOL that you rang your energy company,thats hilarious, i hate it too when things just nag,nag,nag at your brain and you cannot rest until it figured out! Now you got me going, i will listen and get back to you!!!!

Well you know! i think i'm officially stumped!!! This is like the converstion with my husband we were stumped why Bono counts out of order Spanish at the beginning of Vertigo, we later learned that it was actually gaelic!!! Well there you go,hey!

its about a kid who had electro shock therapy, i think, wait, no, yes, stop

::runs away::

Yes, Monke. I reckon thats excatly it! I knew it was about a boy having mental issues, sounds like he is talking to himself,having a battle with his own mind how he wants to or how to end his life.

It's definately referring to electric shock/convulsion therapy.

I've always taken the line "If you don't know... Electric co." to be demanding attention be given to the topic of electroconvulsive therapy, but also as a reference to the possible memory loss associated with the treatment.

I don't know much about the ol' Electric Convulsive Shock Therapy, but I've explained this song to myself as an attack on all the therapists who put kids into serious treatment (ie mental institutions, not just councilling) because they are just very confused about life.
It's like the Psychologist is saying, "If you don't know what lifes about, its off to the Nut House with you."

It fits in well with the teenage vibe of the album, touching on the fear and inexperience, as well as the uncertainty that plagues almost every teenager.

i tought i had heard something like that, but i wasnt really sure

That is really kind of dark!! (but I believe it) For some reason I was thinking it had something to do with Ali's parent's business..

From all I've read - a small electrical business on the north side of Dublin.... Maybe someone has more details.

Back
Top Bottom