I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blood red edge

The Fly
I was listening to an old tape I have, I think it's a concert from in Chicago around JT era, and Bono was talking about how successful they had been in the US with all of the copies of JT sold, and about how they were on the cover of Time Magazine and with all this success that they have had, he still hasn't found what he was looking for and then they proceeded to play I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. My brother told me that Bono was just being ungrateful and implying that he wants more popularity and more record sales, but I don't see it from that point of view. My question is what IS Bono looking for- what does the song mean so I can rebut my brother's statement?

I can't describe what I think it means without getting all flowery but I think the song is talking about finding something from within. I find it can be interpreted loosely in 2 ways. One being finding a peace with himself, success if you will. He has achieved so much, yet still isn't where he wants to be. He has overcome all the hurdles (climbed the highest mountain, run through the fields) and yet he still isn't there. It is like he is saying he doesn't know exactly what he has to do but he has no idea what more he can do to find this happiness or peace with himself.
Alternatively, I think it can be interpreted more spiritually. He is looking for some kind of salvation or pretty much his own path to God. The last verse fits this a bit :
"You broke the bonds and you
Loosed the chains
Carried the cross
Of my shame
Of my shame
You know I believed it"
Yet he still isn't where he wants to be. He established a relationship with God, asked for forgiveness, accepted him into his heart and so on yet still feels empty.

I take it to be more the second one, and I'm not sure if its even right lol. Someone else may be able to answer with certainty.

The great thing about Bono's lyrics is that each person takes from them what they want, and they dont just have one meaning to them.

:sexywink:

As for what the song is talking about, I think everyone has his/her own idea of what it's about!

Last edited:
That introduction is from the Rock's hottest ticket show I think, and IMO the song - and Bono saying it himself prior to playing it - has nothing to do with wanting more success.

I think the song is about searching for meaning, purpose of life. (not in the conventional family/house/job way)

The first verse, as I see it, talks about "climbing" in a mental, psychological way. (maybe referring to Bono's self-doubts and questioning music after that visit to Ethiopia)
The second verse referrs to a romantic search, insecurity in the relationship (angel/devil line, cold as a stone).
The last one is probably about the search in faith.

Even after reassuring "you know I believe it" the song ends echoing "I still haven't found what I'm looking for." It looks like he's not even sure where he's going to find that - his social work, Ali, faith? And is he really that uncomfortable still looking?

That's not how I've interpreted that song at all.

I've always just seen it as a song in which he's looking for that which will make his life complete. I've kinda seen it as-he's got his faith ("broke bonds", "loosed chains", bit-to me that sounds like he's saying he's comfortable with his spirituality-more comfortable than he seemed when he was with that religious group in the early days), he's got his wife and his friends (that I get from the "only to be with you" bit-he's taken every measure to be with Ali for good and he's worked hard to keep his friendships with the guys intact), and all that...but still feels like there's something that is missing to make his life complete. What that something is, I don't know...could be acceptance of himself ('cause from what I understand, there's times it seems Bono's kinda critical of himself and he's unsure of who exactly he is at times and all that), could be acceptance from his father of his fame that he wanted...whatever. That's open to interpretation as well.

But that's how I've always viewed the song.

Your brother's certainly entitled to his interpretation, but...there's mine that you can bring up to him if you want, see what he says about it.

I like the other people's views as well. Many good ideas of what the song discusses.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom