Has U2 ever written really dodgy lyrics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
'Some things you shouldn't get too good at....'

argth,that one's killing me.

'I could never take a chance..
bla bla bla bla romance
bla bla bla distance
hence
the fence
of my intense
offence....

the whole AMAAW is just one big poppy tune.

Yeah "intellectual tortoise" was terrible. So was the "newborn baby's head." All of Numb is really weird, but I like it anyways. :wink: And I thought that "Cool down, mama" from Crumbs From Your Table was really weird, but perhaps there's something I'm missing...

I have never liked the 'Cool down mama, cool off' bit either. On the DVD Bono actually sings something a bit better. But it is a terrible lead-in.

My Picks for the Hall of Shame

U2's lyrics are so much better than the average rock band that I almost feel guilty about critiquing them.... but with that in mind, here we go:

1) "October" is a nice song for sure, but frankly "the leaves are stripped bare / of all their ware" is a bit high on the cheese-ometer.

2) "Early morning, April 4" -- Bono, that should be "early EVENING, April 4." Well, maybe it was early morning (5th) in Dublin. Either way a bad blunder.

3) 'Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses' is a great song, but has a couple of clunkers lyrically: (a) "Well, you left my heart / Empty as a vacant lot / For any spirit to haunt." Yuck. (b) "Baby... Can we still be friends?" No comment needed.

4) "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)" 's metaphor of "Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed" has always struck me as ... bad. Metaphorical conceit with emphasis on "conceit."

5) "Some days are dry, some days are leaky" is a bit much to start the song with. ("Some Days Are Better Than Others")

6) There's a special place in lyrical hell reserved for: "I said you looked like a madonna / You said... maybe... said I want to have your baby... BABY / WE COULD MAKE something beautiful / something that wouldn't be a problem / at least not in... Miami / Some places are like your auntie / but there's no place like / MIAMI MY MAMMY." Were Larry, Adam, and Edge not looking when Bono snuck this stinker onto the tapes???

7) "I've lost all self-control / Been living like a mole / Now going down, excavation". Bleagh!!

8) All of "Love And Peace Or Else" (musically as well as lyrically) is sort-of a nice try that never quite makes it.

9) I don't know why, but I hate "You had so much to offer / Why did you offer your soul?" It just sounds like junior high poetry.

Okay, that's it. Sorry Bono (or Edge). On a more positive note, my choices for best lyrics are:

-- "A Sort Of Homecoming"
-- "One Tree Hill"
-- "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
-- "Until The End Of The World"
-- "Stay (Faraway! So Close)"
-- "Please"
-- "Beautiful Day"
-- "City Of Blinding Lights"

Re: My Picks for the Hall of Shame

65980 said:
U2's lyrics are so much better than the average rock band that I almost feel guilty about critiquing them....

Ha, you're so right... It's great we're able to.

It's the same with the way we criticise their songs..

Their back catalogue is so utterly huge there's bound to be some things you like and some you dont.

Wake up dead man - loada crap. :wink:

Excuse my ignorance, but where is the intellectual tortoise line from? I must've just chosen to ignore it...

And I just have to add, though I know Elevation was brought up before....

A mole digging in a hole

WHY!?!?!?!! Somehow the live aspect of that song completely drowned out the lyrics (figeratively anyway) but Bono was certainly not at his lyrical best!

I have to say that I actually like the 'vacant lot' line... I can see where yer all coming from but I think it's a nice image and fits well with the song.

Have you got HTDAAB? There's song on there called "All Because Of You."

One of the verses goes:

"I like the sound of my own voice,
I didn't give anyone else a choice,
An intellectual torTOYse, (he really pushes the pronunciation of that word so it rhymes)
Racing with your bullet train."

Holy cra*p!!!! I never noticed that before!!! I thought he was mumbling about something... I'll never listen to those lyrics the same again.

We are out of the world cup!! boo!!!!! :( :( :(

ZooGrl said:
Holy cra*p!!!! I never noticed that before!!! I thought he was mumbling about something... I'll never listen to those lyrics the same again.

We are out of the world cup!! boo!!!!! :( :( :(

No we're not. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom