Favorite Obscure U2 Lyric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for resurrecting this thread... :)

And she sang as she sat and played by the Billabong
You'll come a waltzing Matilda with me...

--added to "Bad" after "Ruby Tuesday" in POPMart Sydney if I'm not mistaken

Who knows if these are obscure but just favorite "add-ins" of mine:

"Regrets...I've had a few.
But then again - too few to mention"
--snippet from "My Way" during intro to "with or without you" mainly Zoo TV gigs.

"When I was all fucked up,
and had an opera in my head.
Your love is a lightbulb,
it just goes over my bed."
-- "ultraviolet"

and I swear that in the Houston, TX show of ZOO TV - during "with or without you", Bono sings:

and you give yourself away,
and you give yourself away, bitch,
and you give and you give ...

Perhaps mine ears are playing foolish tricks on me.

- z -

During one of the Elevation shows that I went to (Las Vegas, I think) Bono added the line:
"See Adam Clayton right in front of you" during "Beautiful Day." :adam:

*Is also :shocked: about the "bitch" thing, yet finds it...oddly amusing...*

Anywho, continuing on, three more from "Rattle and Hum" I like...during "Running To Stand Still" when Bono does the whole, "Still running" thing with the crowd, and during "Sunday Bloody Sunday" when he does the whole "No more!" thing (he also did that at that Red Rocks thing, too, anywho, no matter when he's done it, it's still cool), and I like how during "Exit" they threw in a bit of that song "Gloria".

And from the Elevation concert in Boston, I like the whole "Get up, stand up" thing during "Sunday Bloody Sunday", and the whole "Ring those bells" thing during "I Will Follow" (I haven't seen that concert in a while, though...I hope I'm correct on the songs those little things were a part of).

And to BostonAnne, it's "Sympathy For The Devil" ;).

And yes, the extra verse with the whole "Shine like stars" thing during "With Or Without You" is neat, too.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

And to BostonAnne, it's "Sympathy For The Devil" ;).

Angela

Thanks for the correction!

I love how Bono introduced the Band during the Elevation tour - Larry giving them their first job, Adam being the poshest member, the Edge being scientific in his collection of data and Bono being the blind ambition of the band. I was listening to the Tacoma bootleg today and he said "God is fair - Larry can't play the drums and sing at the same time!" :D

Bitch? Zoocifer - do you have a bootleg of this?

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

the "Hallelulia" verse from Zoo TV's Running to Stand Still and the Hallelluia outro to "Walk On"

The Hallelulias send chills up my spine, too! :up:

But my favourite is on Where The Streets (PopMart) where he says at the end, "There, there will be, there will be no more shame. There, there will be, there will be no more pain., etc." (have Pop blaring so cannot hear it in my head, but it's something like that!) The music just totally kicks in and is seething energy. It gets me everytime!

Your mention of "Where The Streets Have No Name" reminds me of another obscure lyric from that song that I like, UltravioletU2.

When they performed that song in the "Rattle and Hum" movie, I remember at the end Bono goes, "Oh, my darling, I wanna go there with you"...I thought that was a really sweet little line to throw in.

Angela

And there is another obscue lyric on my mind all at once: Sometimes in Two Hearts Bono sang 'Let's twist again like we did last summer....' over and over. It's been really cool. :yes:

I do have the bootleg to the Houston, TX ZOO TV concert. Once again, it may just be my ears but I swear he says:

and you give yourself away, bitch...

I also remember Bono saying, during "bullet the blue sky" in the ZOO TV days:

"Bring in that sucker.
Bring in that sucker.
Yeah, c'mon now, bitch!
Bring in that sucker."

From the Las Vegas Popmart during "bullet the blue sky":

"What?!
You fucking looking at me?
You want a piece of me?"

also during the Las Vegas Popmart in "bullet the blue sky" -

Something along the lines of (don't know what song this is from so help me out):

"(?????) starts shaking,
rivers on the run.
I wanna thank you
for letting me be myself. "

- z -

Zoocifer said:

"Bring in that sucker.
Bring in that sucker.
Yeah, c'mon now, bitch!
Bring in that sucker."
That was also in the Elevation tour I suppose - or I mix up different bootlegs now...:scratch:.......but anyway I know that and it's cool. :up:

Zoocifer said:

"Bring in that sucker.
Bring in that sucker.
Yeah, c'mon now, bitch!
Bring in that sucker."

From the Las Vegas Popmart during "bullet the blue sky":

"What?!
You fucking looking at me?
You want a piece of me?"

- z -

Hmmm...someone seems a little angry during "Bullet The Blue Sky"...

Angela

Excellent Thread!

My additions in the order they come to me.

- Desire during ZooTV, two things I remember (and love) from boots I have:
You know something? You're fucking beautiful
and
You know something? You're a fucking cocky sonofabitch

- Electric Co. from Belgium 82.
Bono has lost his voice and he's trying to hit high notes (a Pleba moment), after The Cry beginning, instead of the "hoooooooooooo-oooooooo" (x2) part (just before Boy, stupid boy), he says something like:
Seeee-sooooo (?? Bongolese? - maybe Please No) - Noooooooo, I don't wanna go - It's so perfectly the image of the subject of the song, kicking/screaming/pleading....

- BTBS, Elevation Tour
Who's that man, MARK CHAP-MAN - 'nuff said.

- The Fly, Elevation Tour
Already described perfectly. My highlight from my first Elevation Concert, by a million miles. It was amazing......

- Pride/ISHFWILF - Popmart Mexico
He continued the "oh,oho-oh" from the end of pride, over the intro to ISHFWILF - another Brilliant moment. I'm not sure if he repeated this though, so it may not count.

Keep 'em coming. :)

:up:

Tip Top Prince said:
- BTBS, Elevation Tour
Who's that man, MARK CHAP-MAN - 'nuff said.
And who is Mark Chap-Man? I know that Bono sings that verse, but who is that guy? :scratch:

- Bono's improvs at the end of Bad, even the repeated "No! No! Not fade away! etc."

- "Elevation, soul nation, jubliation, imagination..."

- Bono's charming solo with acoustic guitar at either the beginning or end of Kite.

Emerald_Kite said:
During one of the Elevation shows that I went to (Las Vegas, I think) Bono added the line:
"See Adam Clayton right in front of you" during "Beautiful Day." :adam:

Oh yeah, he did that at the other Elevation shows too.

foray said:
Teach me
I know I'm not a hopeless case

foray

While on the subject I love the way he says "You can touch me" during BD on the Elevation Tour, instead of just "Touch me" from the album and the "da da dada da's" at the end of 'New York'.

all of mine have been said i think:

bullet the blue sky (elavation from boston)
'the man who takes sexual pleasure in the collection of data' etc...
get up stand up (sunday bloody sunday)
you walk into the sportshall, lights go down.....(the fly)

in fact pretty much all talking done by Bono......:bono::heart:

Another awesome one I heard yesterday was Bob Marley's

Exodus: Movement of Jah people! Oh-oh-oh, yea-eah!

After "Still haven't found What I'm Looking For" in the late 80's.

:)

FallingStar said:

Why? :eyebrow: Understand it better?

Heehee. Understand it better , I should say.

Well, we know that "The Fly" is about the carnal nature of man. This is just what I gather from Bono's little speech on TF in Elevation. When he says/sings "You walk out into the sportshall, lights go down...it's a whole different scene...light & motion,...IT'S SO HARD TO WALK AWAY...YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL..., I guess he's talking about how difficult it is to get carried away with the fame and worldly pleasures that stardom has to offer. But then that very lust for power can ultimately bring you down. :bono: sings the lines from TF right after that...."Love we shine like a burning star, falling from the sky tonight", which I guess, is in reference to Lucifer the fallen angel and what happened to him. Those lines are his are his answer to his rockstar predicament.

Back
Top Bottom