FAVORITE LYRICAL LINE!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
all of One
Acrobat-"I'd take bread and wine if there was a church i could recieve at, cause I need it now! to take the cup to fill it up, to drink it slow, can't let you go"----so packe with emotion!

Originally posted by Salome:
My all time personal favourite
"I love you 'cause I need to,
not because I need you.
I love you 'cause I understand,
that God has given me your hand."

hey Salome, forgive my ignorance, but what song are these lines from? I'm assuming a B side or an early song because I know all the others!!!

As for me, I have so many favourites I really cant just pick one. I agree with most of the choices other people have made
Though I must express a particular liking for 'a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle'
but then I guess you already knew that...
wink.gif

Mermaid

------------------
'a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle'

Hopefully, Salome will forgive me for answering a general question directed at her -- just trying to be helpful.
smile.gif

Those lines are from "Luminous Times (Hold On to Love)", originally a B-side from "With or Without You", now available on The B-Sides 1980-1990 (the second disc on the limited 2-CD Best of 1980-1990 collection).

The B-Sides are definitely still easier to find than "With or Without You", and I would definitely go to the trouble of finding it. "Luminous Times" is a great song, and it's only one of many great B-sides on the disc.

And that verse is one of my favorite lines, too.
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Hey Mermaid !

These lines ("i love you 'cause i need to, not because i need you") come from 'Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)'. And yeah, it is a B-side, my personal fave B-side I think !

4 love and peace
V.L.

cheers for the info guys!
I do own the b sides album, I just havent gotten around to listening closely
I just bought the unforgettable fire and that's been my focus for the last week or so

BTW, seeing as this is the lyrics section of the forum, this might be a good chance to ask: what's the story with 'Elvis Presley and America'? I really like it, but I cant tell what it's about, nor work out the connection with Elvis. any thoughts?

anyway, I just remembered a great couplet from Lemon which no-one has mentioned:
'and these are the days when our world has come asunder
and these are the days when we look for something other'

it sums up so well what's wrong with our world, and why people turn to other things (religion, drugs, tv, whatever!) for relief
Mermaid

------------------
'a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle'

It's really hard to come up with a favourite U2 lyric. I really love all of Walk to the Water -- it's just beautiful. And Acrobat is soo full of emotion, I love that "You can dream, so dream out loud" part, that also shows up in slightly modified form in Zooropa and the great introduction to I still haven't found what I'm looking for from New Years Night in Dublin concert. Seems to be a recurring theme.

Gahh! There's just sooo many. And I've always loved "Step on a steam train
/Step out of the driving rain, maybe
/*Run from the darkness in the night*

And yeah, Never Let Me Go has some amazing lyrics.

Cheers!

Whoops sorry Mermaid (and thank you Bubba and Violent Lemon for answering the question) I wasn,'t there to answer your question myself. I have been overlooking this topic a bit the last few days.
Been a bad, bad Salome
---------------
Shake it, shook it, stirred

Here we go:

Boom CHA, BOOM cha, discoth?que

All of "Do You Feel Loved" - especially, Take this tangle of a conversation/turn it into your own prayer

All of "Bad"

Angel, angel or devil, I was thirsty, and you wet my lips

Dressin' like your sister/livin' like a tart/they don't know what you're doin'/babe, it must be art

Zooropa, Vorsprung durch Technik.

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

well my favorites are in all the mentioned before
and i like
"i have spoke whit the tongue of an angel i have held hand of the devil it was warm in the night i was cold as a stone"
"if you could turn yourself in two again"
"leave this heart of clay and see you walk,walk away into the night....."
"have you come here to forgiveness
have you come to raise the dead
have you come to play jesus
for the lepers in your head"

------------------
mexican poet but not a very good one

Midnite is where the day begins

I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me (Rejoice, October)

And your heart beats so slow through the rain and fallen snow, across the fields of mourning to a light that's in the distance...Oh don't sorrow, no don't weep for tonight, at last I am coming home, I am coming home (A Sort of Homecoming, Unforgettable Fire).

During the Unforgettable Fire tour he dedicated that to Ali on the closing night.

Midnite is where the day begins

I can't change the world
but I can change the world in me

(Rejoice, October)

And your heart beats so slow
through the rain and fallen snow
across the fields of mourning
to a light that's in the distance
Oh don't sorrow, no don't weep
for tonight, at last
I am coming home
I am coming home

(A Sort of Homecoming,
Unforgettable Fire)

Bono would dedicate this to Ali during the Unforgettable Fire tour.

She's Gonna Make You Cry
She's Gonna Make You Whisper and Moan
But When You're Dry
She Draws Water From a Stone.

...LeM0n

take the colours of my imagination
take this scent hanging in the air
take this tangle of a conversation
and turn it into your own prayer

just step back and look at this you guys... look at all these words weve thrown up here... they are purely amazing. what a poet!! someone on wire awhile ago was saying the words dont hold up without the music. bullshit.

intransigence is all around
military still in town
armour plated suits and ties
daddy just wont say goodbye

luminous times and heartland have already been quoted.. those are more of my favourites

september.. streets capsizing.. spillin over down the drain.. shards of glass.. splinters like rain.. but you could only feel your own pain.. october.. talk getting nowhere.. november.. december.. remember.. are we just starting again..

im hanging by my thumbs
im ready for whatever comes

i want to reach out over the loch
and feel your hand across the water
walk with you along an unapproved road
not looking over my shoulder

haunted by her side
its a darkness in her eyes
that so enslaves me
and if my love is blind
then i dont want to see
shes a mystery to me

sheer fucking beauty.

The seed is spilled, the bed defiled
For you, a virgin bride
Hide yourself in someone else
Don't find yourself in me

Love is clockworks
And cold steel
Fingers too numb to feel
Squeeze the handle
Blow out the candle
Love is blindness

All of So Cruel is brilliant.

"I'M ONLY HANGING ON TO WATCH YOU GO DOWN...MY LOVE"

"DESPERATION IS A TENDER TRAP...IT GETS YOU EVERY TIME...YOU PUT YOUR LIPS TO HER LIPS TO STOP THE LIE"

"AND YOU DON'T KNOW IF ITS FEAR OR DESIRE
DANGER THE DRUG THAT TAKES YOU HIGHER"

this is my fave...

"BETWEEN THE HORSES OF LOVE AND LUST WE ARE TRAMPLED...UNDERFOOT"

also from Until the end...

"IN THE GARDEN I WAS PLAYING THE TART...I KISSED YOUR LIPS AND BROKE YOUR HEART...YOU, YOU WERE ACTING LIKE IT WAS THE END OF THE WORLD"

why can't i come up with stuff like this?

"I stoped outside a church house
Where the citizens like to sit
They say they want the Kingdom
But they don't want God in it"
Talk about desillusion...

"Love is blindness, I don't want to see"
This is what love is all about!

"Every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief"
And Bono just steals your senses...

Ye gods, where to begin?! Many of the previous posts mirror my own taste to a scary degree... 'Specially KingPin's mention of the "We'll shine like stars" bit in Rattle & Hum.
I love the fish/bicycle line too!
smile.gif

Pretty much all of Numb is amazing, and the bits of Lemon that people have mentioned.
"You gotta cry without weeping,
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice" ...and
"She runs through the streets
With eyes painted red
Under the black valley of cloud in the rain
In through a doorway,
she brings me
white gold and pearls
stolen from the sea
She is raging, she is raging
And the storm blows up in her eyes...
She suffers the needle chill,
She's running to stand, still..." Those are among my favourites, as well as
"Like a needle needs a vein
Like someone to blame
Like a thought unchained
Like a runaway train"
out of Hawkmoon 269... I love the whole song but those bits are the best... hear hear to everyone picking "Bad".
Someone mentioned the part of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" in the Rattle & Hum video where Bono says "F*ck the Revolution!" and they almost understood how the band felt... I agree, but the part that made me feel it even more is later on when he screams "NO MORE! NO MORE!"... that's almost guaranteed to make me cry any day. Makes me angry, if nothing else... "I can't believe the news today/I can't close my eyes and make it go away"
From "A Sort of Homecoming", I especially love
"The wind will crack in wintertime
This bomb blast lightning waltz
No spoken words, just a scream..."
"Tomorrow" cuts me up like "Sunday Bloody Sunday".
"The Universe exploded 'cause of one man's lie" is great
smile.gif

And all of Exit is amazing poetry, as you can see from my sig.
smile.gif

Sorry about the huge post everyone!!
-Alisaura

------------------
-----------------
Deeper into Black
Deeper into White

Ah, A sort of Homecoming.
If I had to pick one song for having the lyrics released as a poem that one would be it.

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I remember when we could sleep on stones now we lie together in wisspers and moans when i was all messed up and heared oprah in my head your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed. (ultra violet) (there might be some falt lyrics)

Ack, how could I forget Ultraviolet? Those lines are my faves from that song, though I can't tell what some of the words at the end are either.
smile.gif

There are millions, and almost every song has a few lyrics that just catch in my mind and soul.

-Alisaura

------------------
Deeper into Black
Deeper into White

This is a great topic! Good choices, everyone. My favorite have mostly already mentioned. My VERY favorite eing that addition to WOWY, "And we'll shine like stars in the summer night..." It's already been mentioned, but I LOVE that!

My other favorite lyrics are in Stay. That song has very powerful lyrics with great imagery. The opening lines are perfect, they ease you into the song with a small bit of pop-culture reference and you can tell something is not quite right with the woman buying cigarettes but not wanting to smoke.

Green Light
7-11
You stop in
For a pack of cigarettes
You don't smoke
Don't even want to
Hey now
Check your change

And then the song goes on to make you FEEL this incredibly emotional experience about a bad relationship. All the time mixed with a commentary on pop-culture. It's perfect 90's U2.

say when he hits you
You don't mind
cuz when he hurts you
you feel alive

you used to stay in
to watch the adverts
you could lip-sync
to the talk show

and if you look
you look through me
and if you talk
it's not to me
and when I touch you
you don't feel a thing

Amazing really. I love this band.

One Day You'll Look Back
And You'll See
where You Were Held
How By This Love
While You Could Stand There
And Not Move On This Moment
Follow this feeling...

....Mysterious Ways.

I have always loved that line from Luminous Times (Hold Onto Love):

I love you 'cause I need to
not because I need you

WOW what a way with words huh?? I think that's very true in life.. you find people loving others simply because they need to feel the love -- not necessarily THEIR love, though
smile.gif

There are, ofcourse, many many other lines that wow me in so many ways, but I have a feeling if I start I won't be able to stop.. so I'll just add that I think Bono writes amazing lyrics; definately some of the greatest writing out there -- and I can't wait to see what he does next!!

------------------

"we're going to finish a record in a few months, and I dare anyone to make a better rock record this year"
- Bono on the new album

"And I, like a firework, explode
Roman candle lightning lights up the sky"

-Promenade.

"Oh... tell me...
Charity dance with me
Turn me around tonight
Up through spiral staircase
To the higher ground

Slide show sea side town
Coca-cola, football, radio,
radio, radio..."

-again, Promenade.

If I could only say 3 words, it would be this... "She wore Lemon!"

There are certain lines that, whenever you hear them, they make you think about U2 inmediately.
How about these clasics

"How long must we sing this song?"

"Free at last, they took your live, they could not take your pride"

Think about this one:
"Like the desert needs rain, like a town needs a name, I need your love"

I'll give you some more:

"To touch is to heal, to hurt is to steal, if you wanna kiss the sky you better know how to kneel."

"Feel like trash, you make me feel clean"

"And if you listen I can't call. And if you jump, you just might fall. And if you shout, I'll only hear you"

And of course a couple lines from POP:

"So where is the hope and where is the faith and the love...what's that you say to me
Does love...light up your Christmas Tree. The next minute you're blowing a fuse
And the cartoon network turns into the news"

"I'm not the only one staring at the sun"

There are endless songs and particular lyrics that need to be mentioned, but the one's that have my attention at the moment are from one of the songs on the MDH soundtrack, "Falling at your feet". I know it's not U2, but Bono wrote it, and the whole song is mesmerizing. Throw the Edge's guitar into this song and it would have been a classic. Regardless, the ending is just awesome. In case you've never heard it, hear it is...

All the information
All the big ideas
All the radio waves
Electronic seas

How to navigate?
How to simply be?
To know when to wait
Explain simplicity

In whom shall I trust?
And how can I be still
Teach me to surrender...
Not my will...thy will