Falling From Grace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keocmb

Refugee
:wave: Hi, folks!

I'm looking up grace in the dictionary and I think I'm starting to understand so much of U2's lyrics on a different level.

I know the meaning of "grace," obviously, but I'm a little unfamiliar with the concept, especially the religious concept, of falling from grace. As I understand it, Grace, in terms of Christianity, is basically celemency? As in, to fall from it would mean that one is now void of this divine love and protection?

Am I on the right track? :shrug:

Don't forget 'the state of grace' which, in that religious context, means 'being in the presence of God' or being so 'blessed' or acting so 'blessed' that others perceive the presence of God in your actions/being...

So it follows that a 'fall from grace' would mean becoming more and more mundane, less and less holy/admired/pure/etc..

(Take this with a grain of salt though, I am an atheist...)

goat

Grace is a difficult concept to wrap your head around, even if you are a believer! It almost sounds too good to be true.

Grace, simply put, is love in action. Grace implies a sense of mercy and compassion, a restoration of broken relationships-especially one's spiritual ties with God. Black becomes white, dark becomes light, no shame, no regret. God, who needs nothing from anyone, extends grace as an unselfish act of love.

As for falling from grace...I suppose that could mean one turning thier back on God. But in actuallity it is promised that once one chooses to recieve this gift...it can never be taken away (a comforting thought).

I hope this helped a little....:hug:

:heart: Grace finds beauty in everything :heart:

Back
Top Bottom