Ever looked anything up in the dictionary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattip2000

New Yorker
I was wondering if any U2 song has sent anyone else to a dictionary. I had to look up the meaning of tattoo on dictionary.com after listening to North and South of the River. Got to learn a new meaning for the word tattoo, it’s been a productive day.

I was 15 when Pop came out, and I heard the word 'intransigence' in "Staring At The Sun", and I had no clue what it meant. I had to look it up. :reject:

Bonochick said:
I was 15 when Pop came out, and I heard the word 'intransigence' in "Staring At The Sun", and I had no clue what it meant. I had to look it up. :reject:

Wow! Exactly the same here!

I would've ended up looking it up myself eventually. I had a bit of a sense of what it meant, and one day I was listening to SATS and I randomly commented "intransigence is a fun word", of course then someone else asked me what it meant, and I had no idea. But before I could embarrass myself, a person nearby spoke up with the definition.

Bonochick said:

Me TOO!! I then made a point to use it in a sentence...I felt pretty darn smart that whole day!!LOL

yeah, intransigence for me too...

not exactly looking something up, but i didn't know what the red light district was til that song, or what butterfly kisses were until i heard daddys gonna pay. along w/ the oral sex references which are well documented in other parts of this subforum, i think it's fair to say this band has corrupted me, dammit!

WalkOn21 said:
Actually, everytime I hear SATS I think about looking up the word, but I've never done it. :|

* goes off to lookwayup.com ;)
:reject: Me too.

:grumpy: *hates it when people have larger vocabularies than me*

Back
Top Bottom