Drowning Man

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FallingStar

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Last night I was listening to Drowning Man and realized once again how wonderful the song is! I read that Bono wrote that song about religious stuff instead of a song for Ali. Especially the 'I'll cross the sky for your love' is said to be a hint to religion.

But I can't believe that. If you just look at the lyrics - it is the perfect love song!

Take my hand
You know I'll be there
If you can
I'll cross the sky for your love
For I have promised
Oh, to be with you tonight
And for the time that will come

Take my hand
You know I'll be there
If you can
And I understand
These winds and tides
This change of times
Won't drag you away
Hold on, and hold on tightly
Hold on, and don't let go
Of my love

The storms will pass (the storm will pass)
It won't be long now (it won't be long now)
His love will last
His love will last...forever

Take my hand
You know I'll be there
If you can
Give you what I hold dear

Hold on, hold on tightly
Hold on, hold on tightly
Rise up, rise up
With wings like eagles
You run, you run
You run and not grow weary

(take my hand, take my hand)
Hold on, and hold on tightly
Hold on, hold on tightly
To this love...last forever
To this love...last forever

Take my hand
Take my hand...

:cute: :heart:

FallingStar said:

But I can't believe that. If you just look at the lyrics - it is the perfect love song!

Take my hand
You know I'll be there
If you can
For I have promised
Oh, to be with you tonight
And for the time that will come

The storms will pass (the storm will pass)
It won't be long now (it won't be long now)
His love will last
His love will last...forever

:cute: :heart:

:heart: :love: :heart: Lovely :up: :wave:

bono-vox said:
:lmao: And I was thinking all the time 'what dood would call himself bono-vox and has a Larry avatar?!' :lol: Didn't recognize you!

I have always thought that this song was one of the most underrated in their catalogue. Some day......they will play it live (acousticly). That would be good.:wink: Sometimes I wonder why they never tried..........or why it didn't work

...my favorite songs from WAR. I have a press conference that the guys did in '87 and I have to watch it again but I remember one of the guys saying that was their favorite song. I can't remember who said it--I think it was Larry.

FallingStar said:
Last night I was listening to Drowning Man and realized once again how wonderful the song is! I read that Bono wrote that song about religious stuff instead of a song for Ali. Especially the 'I'll cross the sky for your love' is said to be a hint to religion.

Well, like many of Bono's songs (i.e. Mysterious Ways and others) he's written it in such a way that it COULD be a love song and it also COULD be a song about religion.

I like this song and I agree that it is really underrated. :yes:

I know this was a while ago that this discussion was started, but I heard on another board (www.christianguitar.net/forums) that "Drowning Man" was written for Adam, so I felt compelled to register and say so...It was supposedly written because Adam's the nonChristian of the band, so it was Bono reaching out to him. "Hold on, hold on tightly...His love will last forever." I don't know how true my source was, but I"m just stating a possible theory. It's still a sweet song (I mean sweet like, "Dude! Sweet!", not like "Aww how sweet".) But yeah, it could be perceived as a love song. It all depends on the mood of the listener, I guess...

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.

Re: Re: Drowning Man

hippyactress said:

Well, like many of Bono's songs (i.e. Mysterious Ways and others) he's written it in such a way that it COULD be a love song and it also COULD be a song about religion.

I like this song and I agree that it is really underrated. :yes:

Exactly.

This song is wonderful. I've been thinking it was a love song myself, personally.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom