Does anyone know what 'Smile' is about yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I know it's been asked at Interference multiple times to no avail, but does anyone know what Smile is about yet? What 'I don't wanna see you smile' means? Anyone?

namkcuR said:
I know it's been asked at Interference multiple times to no avail, but does anyone know what Smile is about yet? What 'I don't wanna see you smile' means? Anyone?

Well, I don't think anyone knows what it's about, but here's my latest theory (I've had a few.): It's a break-up song. "I will live again, you will live again. I just don't want to see you smile." Meaning, "Yes, we'll both get over this and move on, but I can't stand the thought of you ever being happy with someone else. Part of me wants you to be miserable."

Whatever the song is really about, there's something deeply haunting about it. It really wormed its way into my brain. I love it.

in original of the species, bono sings: "there's some things you shouldn't be too good at / like smiling, crying, and celebrity" which kind of confused me too

tuwie said:
in original of the species, bono sings: "there's some things you shouldn't be too good at / like smiling, crying, and celebrity" which kind of confused me too

I've thought about that line also.....my two cents is, well it's clear about not wanting someone getting too good at celebrity and all that entails.....and not to be too good at crying (who wants to see loved ones cry?) But the don't get too good at smiling takes some thought.....I think it's saying not to get too good at smiling to mask other feelings....you know, people smile ot look good, smile to show the world happiness even if you are not completely happy? By saying don't get too good at smiling....don't smile to mask other feelings, just be real....show the world who your eally are...that is what I think the message is there. Song written for Jojo. Makes sense to me.....

Carek1230 said:

I've thought about that line also.....my two cents is, well it's clear about not wanting someone getting too good at celebrity and all that entails.....and not to be too good at crying (who wants to see loved ones cry?) But the don't get too good at smiling takes some thought.....I think it's saying not to get too good at smiling to mask other feelings....you know, people smile ot look good, smile to show the world happiness even if you are not completely happy? By saying don't get too good at smiling....don't smile to mask other feelings, just be real....show the world who your eally are...that is what I think the message is there. Song written for Jojo. Makes sense to me.....

:yes: totally agree with you, I always think about it that way.

Palace_Hero said:
The OOTS line is pretty obvious, its about staying natural and true to yourself, not putting on facade of happiness, not being too sad and not being an egomaniac like Bono. :wink:

right on dude

Gravity is not pulling me
I won't be a picture with no sign
Decaying I'm praying
You are my abbot
I need the ground to kneel upon
And love can't be your song
I don't want to see you smile

I'm breaking it taking it
I'm breaking it slowly in mind
I'm seeing it freeing it
I know love is in this soul of mine
It's not in your eyes

I don't want

I started light-hearted
It won't be easy like you said
I'm going flowing
I'm leaving on the day of the dead
I will never get you will never get

God knows it knows it
Knows it knows it
You sing
Hear me love
Sing it again
Going out blind
The smoke machine is yours not mine

ooh ooh ooh
ooh ooh ooh

I will live again
You will live again
I just don't want to see you smile

I hear this:

I won't be a picture with no sound
You are my air, but I need the ground to kneel upon
I will live again, you will live again (instead of I will never get you will never get )
God knows me, knows me

I think it's to someone trying to console Bono in his grief.
"don't tell me it's okay" and eventually he turns to God and says sort of the same thing. And in between he has a few things to say to his Dad.

Probably a few sets of lyrics that came into a universally sort of vague song. My best guess.

Back
Top Bottom