Do any of u2`s songs take you to a different place/time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of JT, but especially Streets, In God's Country and Trip Through, just make me feel like I am driving out I-10 between Phoenix and Joshua Tree NP area. JT is just a transcendent album that can truly make you feel like you are somewhere else.

Ultraviolet sometimes makes me feel like I am driving down a long, lonely and dark road at night.

Then I have what I call my Fall 2008 trio, lol. Allow me to explain. A girl that I really and truly liked and had feelings for that she returned wound up with another guy(a real jerk by any objective standard) just before our senior year of college. I distinctly remember Ultraviolet, The Fly and In A Little While being the go to songs for this time period.

Ultraviolet: This time, the long dark road was replaced by feelings of jealousy and desire and longing for a past. Everything about the friendship/flirting/potential relationship I had with this girl junior year of college was literally like we could "sleep on stones." It was the watered down, current boyfriend present at all times interaction I now had with the girl that felt like the "whispers and moans" and I certainly felt "all messed up" but there was still that glimmer of hope "lightbulb, hanging over my head."

Did I ever mention Ultraviolet is just a perfect song??

The Fly: This was the song I listened to instead of punching a wall! Any live performance with that scorching Edge guitar and demonic Bono vocals did the trick every time! "There's a lot of things if I could, I'd rearrange" spoke to me a lot then.

In A Little While: Passionate pining, "surely you'll be mine" "hurt will hurt no more" coupled with longing questioning "will you be there?" As strange as this sounds, In A Little While always, always takes me back to one specific place on one specific night. I was out mini golfing with my friends on a gorgeous 80 degree September night and thinking about this girl. I kept running "A man dreams one day to fly, a man takes a rocket ship into the sky" through my head and somehow, it seemed to fit my dilemma perfectly. I cant listen to IALW anymore without thinking of that night.

Some songs bring me back to the time when I first discovered them.

Trip Through, Trying To Throw and TUF bring me right back to Fall 2006.

I Will Follow and most of Boy bring me back to Fall 2005.

I can most certainly relate to you.:yes: And in a non-gay way, (just to clear up I am totally straight :lol::up:), :hug:. :lol:

I have very strong memories of a night last year with Walk To The Water.

It was a very nice warm fall night, October 23rd, 2009 to be exact. At our school we have a festival every fall and last year my friends wanted me to go. I didn't want to but I thought I'd go and hang out. I had no idea what was going to happen later that night.

I went home straight from school and played on the computer to waste time before getting ready and heading out that night. I bought Walk To The Water on iTunes and burned a special CD for driving after downloading the song. Acrobat was included along with Beautiful Day and a few Boy and Achtung Baby era songs. Anyway on the drive up there I played WTTW several times in a row. I remember driving through the highway and hearing the song. Now everytime I go to school and pass that area I distinctly remember the way it was.

I got there and my friends were hanging with some girl. I am a shy person so we didn't really talk but right away something clicked. I really liked her and she kind of liked me too.:D It makes for one heck of a memory! I remember exactly how that night went in great detail.:ohmy: It was a great year last year filled with many memories. I really want to relive that night again!:hyper: I always associate WTTW with that night and with my friends and the girl.

Sorry for the long post of crap.:p Yes, many U2 songs do take me to other places/times. Mostly they are associated with memories I make with those songs. And sometimes they can be sad memories and that's what really can suck about it for me. :(

In God's Country takes me here;

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

JT1-11-2009crew.jpg

Good times.

OMG - TOTALLY!!!!!! I can't hear that song w/o thinking of you running out to the tree, and I always smile.

And I have a blog post here about where WOWY takes me.
With or Without Tom - U2 Feedback

I love the stories and pictures, everyone :hug: :). I would love to go out to the Joshua Tree park someday-very cool shots from there. Great idea for a thread.

I've always loved The Unforgettable Fire, that's one of my personal favorite albums of the band's. I was listening to that album when my family was moving from Wyoming to Colorado. That album fit SO perfectly during the trip-while I was listening, I gazed out the window and let the music take me away. We passed the small cliffs of Wyoming, the open stretches of road with nary a town in sight (and when we did pass one, they were very small towns at that). And this was in the late afternoon/early evening in the wintertime, so there was snow all over and it was bitterly cold, and the sky had that grey, silvery look to it, with the sun very dimly peeking through. All that against stuff like the wintery imagery of "A Sort Of Homecoming", the eerie, ghostly title track, "MLK" as the darkness of night came upon us-it just worked, and made me love the album even more.

I also have memories of listening to "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "Bullet The Blue Sky" on a protest songs CD mix I made when I did an anti-war thing with some other students from my high school around the time the Iraq war started.

Angela

A sort of homecoming takes me to some distant country. It makes me feel like some part of me is missing and I'm not complete. Yeah, A sort of homecoming is such a good song for a journey or whatever. You're coming home and you know it, thinking of what you will do after a long absence. And then you hear Bono's passionate voice and yeah, you're at home.
I love it when I have no words to express myself or whatever. Bono does it in his songs.

Back
Top Bottom