Discotheque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakedpony

The Fly
hey guys i stumbled to a site staringattheson.com wherein the author gives his interpretation on u2 songs

i haven't read everything yet but i liked his interpretation on discotheque! i thought the song was about ecstacy but i was probably wrong

i guess this is why bono adds the "its love born from above" lyric during the vertigo tour version

what do you guys think?

I never got the drug reference people talked about, I always thought it was about finding what's underneath the fluff. In this case bubblegum pop. I definately think it was a commentary on pop culture or pop music.

"you know you're chewing bubble gum, you know what that is but you still want some. You just can't get enough of that lovey-dubby stuff"

I think that line says it all. It's about knowing that there is more than our earthly lives and that "lovey-dubby" stuff is temporary and superficial.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I never got the drug reference people talked about, I always thought it was about finding what's underneath the fluff. In this case bubblegum pop. I definately think it was a commentary on pop culture or pop music.

Yeah...I get that U2 songs can have many meanings to people, but some interpetations seem to be pulled out of fan asses:huh:

bakedpony said:
hey guys i stumbled to a site staringattheson.com wherein the author gives his interpretation on u2 songs

i haven't read everything yet but i liked his interpretation on discotheque! i thought the song was about ecstacy but i was probably wrong

i guess this is why bono adds the "its love born from above" lyric during the vertigo tour version

what do you guys think?

I've never heard about the change on the "Vertigo" version:ohmy: What part of the song does he add that in on?

mandrake said:
"you know you're chewing bubble gum, you know what that is but you still want some. You just can't get enough of that lovey-dubby stuff"

I think that line says it all. It's about knowing that there is more than our earthly lives and that "lovey-dubby" stuff is temporary and superficial.

Exactly!!:up: That's always what it's been for me too.:wink:

I thought 'lovey dovey stuff' was a veiled reference to ecstacy and Im sure I read that at the time. But at the same time I like the theory above!

Straight from the horse's (ok, Bono's :wink: mouth) in "U2 by U2"....
Bono: " POP opens with 'Discotheque'. We wanted a setting for the album. 'Discotheque' is a riddle about love. Once you know that it changes the way you hear the song. 'You can reach but you can't grab it/You can't hold it, control it, you can't bag it' "

I used Discotheque as the idea for my year 12 creative writing task, kind of interpreting the song into a short story. I've since thrown out my only copy of it, because it was a story I didn't particularly want my parents to stumble across, but from what I can remember of it, it was about looking for love in a (yep, you guessed it) discotheque - a place where lust is more commonly found.

My story was called "Something More," and the central character was "looking for the one" but was looking in the wrong places ("But you're always somewhere else instead").
In the end he/she (I never quite decided) settled for less and gave into lust, which is how the song ends in my opinion - "You know there's something more, but tonight, tonight, tonight...."

This isn't the only interpretation I can think of, but it's the most interesting, and it got me 100% on my paper, so that's the one I'm gonna go with. :D

Back
Top Bottom