Deep In the Heart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmmoran

Babyface
Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have loved "Deep In The Heart" since it was first released on vinyl EP all those many years ago.
I did a lyric search on google tonight and am sooooooooooooo surprised by what seem to be incorrect lyrics posted all over the place. I mean, it is most likely my misunderstanding the song for all these years, but I swear Bono says:

"thirty years old", not "thirteen"
"paper thin", not "wafer thin"
"deep in the heart a big space" (meaning an emptyness), not "in this place"
"metal sting", not "meadow stain" or "nettle sting" in that I swear I heard an interview way back wherein he said this song was all about heroine addiction.

Does anyone have the REAL lowdown on this song???

Many thanks!

dorothy

Lyrics
Angel, everything is gonna be alright
Angel, everything is gonna work out tonight

Thirty years old
Sweet as a rose
Every petal of her wafer thin

Love will make you blind
Creep up from behind
Get you jumping out of your skin
Angel, it's sink or swim

Deep in the heart
Deep in the heart of this place
Deep in the heart

Door is closed behind me now
The window is sealed to shut out the light
Green as the leaves
And the cure of the nettle sting
Do your homework, It'll work out right

Deep in the heart
Deep in the heart

The scent of cedar
I can still see her
You can't return to the place you never left

Angel, we'll make it work out tonight
Angel, I wanna be home tonight

Door is closed behind me now
The window is sealed, to shut out the light
Green as the leaves the cure of the nettle sting
Do your work and you'll work out right

Deep in the heart
Deep in the heart

U2 > Discography > Lyrics > Deep In The Heart

Not to say these are without mistakes, but yeah. It's at least the official ones. Google isn't really a good source for lyrics.

Thanks Galeongirl! Well I guess that since these are from the official site, they must be accurate. I still don't get the "nettle sting", oh well!!

Just because they are on the official site doesn't mean a thing. Just sayin'.

BTW, I always heard 'paper thin' as well, guess I'll have to dig it up and listen again.

goat

Thanks Galeongirl! Well I guess that since these are from the official site, they must be accurate. I still don't get the "nettle sting", oh well!!

I'd have to put a disclaimer with that. It's still u2.com.

Their lyrics to Crazy Tonight are the biggest example why you should never trust their site 100%. But on this case I reckon the lyrics are from the liner notes and thus realistic.

I'd have to put a disclaimer with that. It's still u2.com.

Their lyrics to Crazy Tonight are the biggest example why you should never trust their site 100%. But on this case I reckon the lyrics are from the liner notes and thus realistic.

I'm sorry, I don't ever recall seeing liner notes for Deep In the Heart. Remember too that liner notes are sometimes wrong as well.

Not trying to be antagonistic, sorry if it sounds that way.

You might want to check out u2wanderer.org.

goat

That we haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. I reckon U2.com got all the old lyrics from the liner notes they have saved. Bono blows at remembering his own lyrics so I reckon they have a file for that with all of them. With the new lyrics they just had some bimbo type them out and said bimbo made a bunch of errors. Sure liner notes can always be wrong, but if you start with that attitude, why would U2wanderer be so much better? They might as well be wrong as well, as they don't have the official stuff.

Well interesting posts folks -- you know, I am thinking the lyrics are not completely correct on any of the sites I've seen. It really sounds like "paper thing", and even though "wafer thin" would mean the same thing -- I guess I'm just a stickler for accuracy. The "nettle sting" though doesn't add up from that interview I heard back in '87 when I swear Bono said he wrote this song about someone's heroine addiction, and I am quite sure he specified the "metal sting" referring to the needle in the arm. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter in the end, so I will stick with the lyrics I have thought were the lyrics all along. ;)

Never really paid much attention to the lyrics but I'm pretty sure it's metal sting also.

Great track.

Yeah, I LOVE this track!! Glad to hear someone else thinks it "metal sting". I mean after thinking that for close to 24 years it is stuck in my brain.

Back
Top Bottom