crumbs from your table

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carrieluvv

Refugee
I searched but i couldnt find....

does anyone have any ideas re: who or what this song is about?

sorry if this is already posted elsewhere

Last edited:
Bono was quoted saying Crumbs is about Church's refusal to do more about AIDS in Africa.

the tourist said:
I think it's about hungry mice.

LOL

It's about how the first world countries are not doing enough or anything at all, for africa.

The "Three to a bed, sister ann she said " is areference to a nun in africa, who called bono to tell him how people are lining up to die, three to a bed, one on the bottom , two on top.

ha ha, "the tourist." You're funny.
You're right, U2girl--but i think there's also some more subtle references in there too. "From the brightest star comes the blackest hole"--correct me if i got the lyrics wrong--there also seemed to be an implication in the little book with the collectors' edition that the lyric had another meaning as well--Lucifer, who was the brightest angel and is now the worst of them all. something like that.

the first time I heard it, I sorta envisioned Bono singing it to some cheerleader/preppy person who was throwing their life down the toilet with drugs, alcohol and what not. but now, of course we know it's about africa and AIDs

Man, first time i heard the song i thought it wsa about love, about a lover who's love goes unreturned no matter what he does, he is begging for her attention, her love, and all he's getting are crumbs from her table.

it's not just about adis....

bono is attacking the whole church. you can see it every lyric.

"you had so much to offer, but did you offer yourself
would you deny for others, what you denyed for yourself"

etc.

zooroper said:
it's not just about adis....

bono is attacking the whole church. you can see it every lyric.

"you had so much to offer, but did you offer yourself
would you deny for others, what you denyed for yourself"

etc.

Its...

you had so much to offer, why did you offer your soul?
would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?

Listening to Original of the Species right now. This song really doesn't do it for me. Sorry, dont mean to go off-topic.

this thread is back and better than ever!

Ill prolly listen to the CD whilst folding clothes today...
laundry is my life!

I think someone should bring thier guitar up to my room while im folding the mountain of it and write a little song about my laundry doin' well not the doin just the foldin.....ill be up there for an hour beofre anyone notices . the laundry isolates me ; (
t hee

talk about getting off topic.....well this is an old thread so who cares

Last edited:
U2 doesn't know what its about

According to the DVD from the Collector's Verson of HTDAAB, the band has no idea what this song is about b/c its supposedly the first ever song they wrote totally wasted on a napkin at some pub.:drunk: On the DVD, Larry jokes that its terrible that he has no idea what the song was about.

But, of course, it is about something!

"Signs of wonder" = a bunch of middle class people speaking in tongues but not giving a dime to save a starving child.
"I need something other"= a revolution in values as Dr. King would speak of . . . .

(The church in N. America is more concerned that heathens see the cinematic suffering of Rambo-Jesus in First Blood, I mean the last flaggelation of christ, rather than the suffering in the 'least of these' in our own ghettos and the global ghetto of the global south.)

It's about the perfect piety of pretentious preachers and their mindless flock when what's needed is the radical solidarity of generous people stopping the suffering.

To paraphrase Bono: "stopping poverty/aids/ suffering, etc. is not a cause, it's an emergency."

carrieluvv said:
this thread is back and better than ever!

Ill prolly listen to the CD whilst folding clothes today...
laundry is my life!

I think someone should bring thier guitar up to my room while im folding the mountain of it and write a little song about my laundry doin' well not the doin just the foldin.....ill be up there for an hour beofre anyone notices . the laundry isolates me ; (
t hee

talk about getting off topic.....well this is an old thread so who cares

Hey Carrie, the Pretenders did a song in the mid 80s called "Watchin the clothes go round." I don't remember the album title but it had Middle of the Road and My City Was Gone on it.

Maybe not folding clothes but laundry!!

those two songs remind me of my teenage years....they werent really songs we liked but that we heard all the time ya know?

like i said though....laundry is my life..it really is ridiculous sometimes

that's about right Tinker as the subtext

but it is about the church and africa on the surface....

I am not sure why people are so quick to say it is about America, especially with all the aid America is providing. This song is clearly about the Church, the Catholic church and their failures to do anything about the plight in Africa. Besides Bono said so.
Look at the lyrics
"You speak of signs and wonders
I need something other
I would believe if I was able
But I'm waiting on the crumbs from your table"
So like in the song Acrobat
"Yeah I'd break bread and wine
If there was a church I could receive in
'cause I need it now "
Bono wants to believe but the Church has done much to close the deal to seal his faith in the church. It seems to be a reoccurring theme for Bono. I think there is a lot of us who feel the same way. Thank God we aren't alone.

hi modsavage.........
yeah i think we realize whats its about now.
I see your posts in my email all the time on wire.
I got wire so long ago and never posted in it.
looks like the same goes for you here ; )

anyway-----
i love u2
yay me
or whatever it is you say..haha

I believe, like many of their great songs, there could easily be 2 or more interpretations, even within the same song, or even in the same lines. WALK ON is like that.

It could be the church AND America.

"From the brightest star
Comes the blackest hole
You had so much to offer Why did you offer your soul?"

This sounds like America. Pretty as a picture, a bright star now filled with much violence and a decaying of values, and it sometimes seems we have lost our way, lost our soul.

"Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself"

Right now, rightfully or wrongly, many around the world see America as a place that demands human rights for others while denying human rights itself...torture of prisoners, illegal detaining of prisoners, beginning wars on flimsy reasons..etc etc.

So therefore...

"Cool down mama, COOL OFF!!"

America was attacked. So America ( probably rightfully so, or understandably so) attacked back, rolled back civil rights laws, got paranoid...BUT maybe we should cool down, cool off, be calm, rational. NOT rash. Not reckless. Let's think calmly now about what we should do now. How to stop this from happening again.

Africa, Mexico, Middle East...millions of poor around the world are:

Waiting for the crumbs from our table.

While our cash right now is spent on killing the enemy. (Cool down a bit.)

"With a mouth full of teeth you ate all your friends."
"And you broke every heart thinking every heart mends"

Does anyone remember the millions around the entire world protesting the start of the killing in Iraq? MOST of our friends, our allies, pleaded with us to cool down, wait, take it slow, don't rush into killing, into war, cool it down. We unilaterally ignored them, "ate all our friends", went ahead with the invasion, and now, we are hoping that that Europe has mended their hearts and will now help us finish the war.

We speak of signs and wonders, like democracy in the middle east, but, for so many including those who commit terrorist acts, they are starving, they are sick, they are dying, they are

Waiting for the crumbs from our table.

Just the crumbs, mind you. That'll help so much, sir.

One. One percent. Just crumbs.

America, listen: "Where you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die.

Mexico. Africa. Middle East. Where they live right now does decide it for them. Dignity passes by those who are hungry. They will take a chence of dying in a desert to cross a border. Dignity passes by the wayside when you drink your own urine while dying of thirst to get across the desert to where you just might be able to get some crumbs. They will beg. They will kill. They will suffer. We eat and drink while tomorrow they die. While they wait for the

Crumbs from our table.

Just my opinion. But when I hear it I think of ME, the crumbs from MY table, and my country...all of us. They are waiting. We have done so much but we can do so much more.

The song has, I'm sure, other meanings, and I'm sure it even has more than one meaning to Bono who wrote the words.

It is a great song, that is for sure. Let's not forget the great musical work of The Edge, Larry and Adam. The song is great all the way through it. Fantastic, thought provoking.

Another great one.

Last edited:
the more i listen to it the more i believe its about the catholic church.. some lyrics maybe even addressing the sex scandal

^ Which ones?

oh, and to tmciano, excellent!
Everything you've said makes sense to me. I've always been leaning towards that interpretation, but thanks to you, I feel like I really understand my favourite song on HTDAAB.
Still, I can see the church part too.
Bono was probably thinking of both things at the same time and the idea's kinda merged -- I mean, he was drunk.:wink:

Last edited:
I think coach was the closest - accoriding to a website named songfacts, (apologies, i cant post the link because of a 15-post restriction) the lyrics are written about richer countries (especially the US) giving third-world countries only the crumbs from their tables, meaning very little relief.

The lyric "where you live should not decide whether you live should not decide whether you live or whether you die" refers to how third-world countries and the rich ones becoming equal.

Remember the Three Wise Men? They followed 'the brightest star in the sky' to find Christ when he was born.

Remember the tour he did of US churches a couple of years ago? Bono has specificaly said the song is in reaction to the frustrations of that tour and the problems he had convincing 'the church' in the US of the needs of Africa. How far you read into the lyrics of the song, and how far reaching it is, will kind of depend on how you feel (and how much you know) about (and I'm generalising here) how the church in the US has behaved towards AIDS & Africa & foreign aid in general, and that is tied up in the general attitude of the conservative/right wing movement in the US.

"From the brightest star (Christianity) comes the blackest hole (lack of response)" and it goes from there.

Back
Top Bottom