crumbs from your table

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
" THE CHURCH" your referring to is catholic im assuming ?

meghan....the lyric im thinking may be related to the sex scandal with the catholic priests was:
you were pretty as a picture it was all there to see until your face caught up with your psychology...with a mouth full of teeth you ate all your friends and ya broke every heart thinkin every heart mends

but maybe not ..who knows.....I dont pretend to be an expert

im actually going to church again..its great..the priest is very passionate about the scripture and very cool...
i loveit ; )
maybe i could convince him about taking up a collection for africa.

Last edited:
I don't think it's the Catholic Church, I think it's all of them.
I don't know about the 'pretty as a picture' line, but I think it's all related to the Church & Conservative community in the US and Africa, nothing to do with any of the Churches other problems (ie sex abuse). The 'mouth full of teeth/ate all your friends' line to me refers to the past in regards to Africa. Western greed basicaly. Our countries for a couple of centuries have robbed Africa for all our needs (slavery and colonialism and natural resources and these things like oil and minerals still today), now they are the ones in need, and there's the assumption from the church that these hearts will just mend, without help.... I guess... that attitude of "why should I send my hard earned to Africa? Why is it my problem?" which is sadly very common in those communities.

Last edited:
I was watching a documentary on u2 the other night and it showed a clip of bono speaking about poverty in africa and that we only gave them "the crumbs from our table."

Back
Top Bottom