Cringe-worthy lyrics from WITS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
Which lyrics make you cringe the most from WITS?

And I already know that many of you probably love all of the lyrics and if so then you may be sure this thread is not for you.

My Choices:

"The bullet quit the gun"
"the soul in its strip tease"
"did everything but murder you and I"
"and to love I rhapsodize"

also, though not a terrible lyric, the chorus repeated 3 times in a row is a bit much. The second time should say something else that rhymes with "done". It's just too repetitive and unimaginative for my liking.

I am only saying this because this is U2 for heavens sake! We all should expect a bit more from them. Of course I will now add the "IMO" so as to prevent people from accusing me of stating my opinion as fact.

Once again, as with HTDAAB, Bono's lyrics have proven to be the weakest link in the U2 chain.

whats wrong with soul in its striptease? the character in the song has a lover who shows glimpses of their vulnerable true selves and then they take it back. i think its money.

and to love i rhapsodize is good too. its him saying that even though love got him bad this time around the fact that theres a such thing as love to begin with is reason enough to move forward and search for it again because you know that when its good, its really good.

I really dislike the bridge "i know I hurt you...to love I rhapsodize", sounds way too poppy

some of the other lyrics are really good though.

the "The sky above our head, we can reach it from our bed" part is great.

rhapsodize is so awkward. It's not the meaning but that it sounds forced, and like he was trying to use a 3-4 syllable word.

As has been said by me and others elsewhere on this board, "soul in its strip tease" is a metaphor worthy of a wanna-be-poetic preteen.

I do like "sky over our bed." "did everything but murder you and i" would be ok if it were in a different song or musical context, but drawn out like that I don't like it - again awkward and forced. Forced especially because it's gramatically incorrect, it should be "murder you and me" so it's obvious he was reaching for a rhyme. Lyrics that are grammatically incorrect are fine with me if they sound natural; this one doesn't. On the other hand I like the music behind it.

And let me add:
"the heat that's in the sun/will keep us when there's none."

WTF? when there's none of what? no heat? no love? no bullet in the gun? and if it's love, the only logical answer, then how is heat from the sun really a good substitute, unless the sun is supposed to be god? arrrrrg. awful. tortured.

The sad thing for me is I really like the musical direction of this song but Bono's falling down on the job.

Varitek said:
rhapsodize is so awkward. It's not the meaning but that it sounds forced, and like he was trying to use a 3-4 syllable word.

As has been said by me and others elsewhere on this board, "soul in its strip tease" is a metaphor worthy of a wanna-be-poetic preteen.

I do like "sky over our bed." "did everything but murder you and i" would be ok if it were in a different song or musical context, but drawn out like that I don't like it - again awkward and forced. Forced especially because it's gramatically incorrect, it should be "murder you and me" so it's obvious he was reaching for a rhyme. Lyrics that are grammatically incorrect are fine with me if they sound natural; this one doesn't. On the other hand I like the music behind it.

And let me add:
"the heat that's in the sun/will keep us when there's none."

WTF? when there's none of what? no heat? no love? no bullet in the gun? and if it's love, the only logical answer, then how is heat from the sun really a good substitute, unless the sun is supposed to be god? arrrrrg. awful. tortured.

The sad thing for me is I really like the musical direction of this song but Bono's falling down on the job.

Key words in that quote: Awkward and Forced.

As are these lines:

"I'm on an island in a busy intersection"
or
"Some things you shouldn't get too good at..."

CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE

t8thgr8 said:
whats wrong with soul in its striptease? the character in the song has a lover who shows glimpses of their vulnerable true selves and then they take it back. i think its money.

:up:

some are better than others, but I really have no problem with any of the lyrics from WITS :shrug: I would say it's one of the stronger songs lyrically from the 00's.

pentax said:
Did everything but murder you and: DIVORCE?:ohmy:

IMO, I think he is talking about all the sacrifices he has made while pursuing his "calling" to aid Africa and the world. He is talking to Ali I think, and how God's love has worked so much wonder in their lives. It's the glue that keeps them together! Such an incredible love story they have. I admire them both so much.

An incredible love story that is deserving of better lyrics, unfortunately. If this song had been released by anyone else, like I don't know, OASIS, Noel Gallagher would have been sent down the river for his use of cheese in this song.

End of year report card for Bono, good effort but could try harder. C+.

:wink:

"To love I rhapsodize"... Ick. That's the only one that really makes me wince, and for the grammar as much as anything else.

WITS' lyrics are just too easily comprehended in terms of which perceptions Bono is going with the song.. In others, I basically had to consult people, even the Bible for shit sake, to see what the words are really about.

And what is up with the dozens of ohhss???:madspit: :mad: :huh:

Hope he gets more topics to write about on the next one or we'll just sit back and hear more knees and peaces and loves.....

pentax said:

But not with KNEES:wink:

The following words rhyme with "knees":

abbeys, aeries, agrees, alleys, andes, appease, ares, aries, armies, aussies, babies, bandies, barleys, beanies, beauties, bees, belfries, bellies, berries, bevies, biddies, biggies, birdies, bloodies, bobbies, bodies, bogeys, boobies, bookies, bootees, booties, boundaries, bounties, brandies, brassies, breeze, breweries, brownies, buddies, buggies, bullies, bunnies, buoys, buries, burleys, burmese, busbies, busies, cabbies, caddies, cadres, candies, carnies, carries, cheese, chemise, cherries, chickpeas, chilies, chimneys, chinese, chippies, cities, civvies, clergies, cockneys, coffees, coneys, cookies, coolies, cooties, copies, coulees, counties, countries, coveys, cowries, cozies, crannies, crappies, crazies, crees, crises, cronies, cubbies, curies, curries, curtseys, curtsies, daddies, dailies, dainties, dairies, daisies, dandies, decease, decrees, deep-freeze, degrees, derbies, dickeys, dillies, dinghies, dirties, disease, displease, ditties, divvies, doggies, dogies, doilies, dollies, donkeys, dowries, draftees, dropsies, duchies, dummies, duties, ease, eddies, eighties, emcees, emmies, emmys, empties, entries, envies, eries, fairies, falsies, fancies, fannies, farcies, feces, fees, ferries, fifties, fillies, fleas, flees, floozies, floppies, flunkies, flurries, fogies, follies, foresees, forties, foundries, freebies, frees, freeze, frenzies, fridays, frisbees, funnies, furies, furious, fusees, galleys, gantries, genies, gipsies, glees, glories, goalies, goatees, goodies, grammies, grandees, grannies, grantees, grease, grizzlies, groceries, groupies, guernseys, guildries, guineas, gullies, guppies, gurneys, gussies, gypsies, hackneys, hades, hankies, harpies, harries, he's, headcheese, hearties, heavies, henries, henrys, hermes, herpes, hickeys, hippies, histories, hoagies, hobbies, hollies, honeys, honkeys, honkies, hopis, hubbies, hurries, huskies, hussies, ivies, jaycees, jayvees, jellies, jennies, jesses, jetties, jiffies, jimmies, jitneys, jockeys, jollies, journeys, junkies, juries, keys, khakis, kiddies, kidneys, kitties, kiwis, knees, krispies, lackeys, laddies, ladies, larcenies, lassies, latchkeys, laundries, lees, lefties, lessees, levees, levies, lilies, lobbies, lorries, louise, lovelies, lues, maltese, maoris, marquees, marquise, marries, meanies, medleys, menses, mercies, middies, mommies, mondays, moneys, monies, monkeys, montes, monthlies, moseys, mounties, movies, muddies, mummies, munchies, mutinies, nannies, navies, nazis, nighties, nineties, ninnies, nixies, noddies, oldies, orgies, paddies, padres, paisleys, palfreys, palsies, pansies, panties, pantries, parlays, parleys, parries, parsleys, parties, passkeys, pastries, patsies, patties, pawnees, payees, peas, pease, peewees, pennies, phoebes, phonies, piggies, pinkies, pisces, pities, pixies, pleas, please, plenties, ponies, poppies, porgies, posies, posses, prairies, preemies, preppies, pretties, prexies, privies, proxies, psyches, pubes, pulleys, puppies, purees, puttees, putties, pygmies, quandaries, quarries, queries, quick-freeze, quickies, rabies, rallies, readies, rockies, rooftrees, rookies, rowdies, rubies, rupees, safeties, sanies, savvies, scabies, sceneries, scurries, scurvies, seas, sees, seize, sentries, series, shanties, sharpies, shawnees, she's, sherries, shimmies, shinnies, shoddies, shoetrees, sissies, sixties, skis, skivvies, sleaze, slurries, smarties, smithies, sneeze, softies, sonnies, sorties, species, sprees, squeegees, squeeze, standees, stapes, stases, steadies, stories, striptease, strophes, studies, sturdies, stymies, sullies, sundays, sundries, surreys, swamis, sweeneys, sweenies, tabbies, talkies, tallies, tansies, tarries, taxies, tease, teddies, tees, tepees, testes, theories, these, theses, thirties, threes, tidies, tizzies, toadies, toddies, toffees, tories, toties, tourneys, towhees, trainees, trapeze, treaties, trees, trochees, trolleys, trollies, trophies, trustees, trusties, tsetses, tuesdays, tummies, tunnies, turkeys, turnkeys, tvs, tweeze, twenties, unfreeze, varies, vendees, vestees, volleys, vollies, wednesdays, weeklies, whammies, wheaties, wheeze, wherries, whimsies, whinnies, whiskeys, willies, woollies, worries, worthies, yankees, yanquis, yetis, yippies, yogis, zanies, zlotys, zombies

Maybe we'll get a song with the word "testes" in it soon. :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom