Confirmed! Oral sex reference in "Original of the Species"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Well, I just read the Bono interview in Rolling Stone, and I am here to gloat.

When the new album came out, I wrote a post here about how the line, "And I kneel / cos' I want you some more" had some serious oral sex undertones to it, and I nearly got shouted off the message board! I got laughed at, shouted at, and so on because the song was "for Edge's daughter," and how dare I even suggest something so gross, etc.

And now Bono goes and confirms it -- and this is from memory, but he said something like "Original of the Species was originally for my god daughter, but then I went and eroticized it, and I think it's a lovers' song now."

Eat crow, bee-otches!

:sexywink:

Ha ha, that's pretty cool. But don't count on the fact that that's exactly what it means -- the lyrics to that song could be interpreted a thousand different ways. For example, the line 'and I kneel because I want you some more' could be interpreted to --

-- Kneeling to God to pray some more.
-- Oral sex, like you mentioned.
-- Proposing to get married, so wanting more than just a relation ship.

And so forth. And does Bono always tell the truth?

Song lyrics is like a poem (it should be), and it has different meanings depending on who listens to it. People say that this song is about that and that song is about this, because Bono said so. As soon as people force the lyrics to have a particular meaning, the lyric gets smaller. It doesn't matter what Bono meant when he wrote it (maybe he even wrote it so that it could have several meanings), what matters is what meaning the lyric gives you. If that is your interpretation of OOTS, that is exactly what the song is to you, and people can shout and scream that Bono didn't write about that, but you proved them wrong, because that is what the lyrics gave you.

The great thing about U2 songs is there's usually more than one interpretation, so there's no need to shout about yours, really. ;) Someone can always disagree. Even with Bono.

COBL_04 said:
Ha ha, that's pretty cool. But don't count on the fact that that's exactly what it means -- the lyrics to that song could be interpreted a thousand different ways. For example, the line 'and I kneel because I want you some more' could be interpreted to --

-- Kneeling to God to pray some more.
-- Oral sex, like you mentioned.
-- Proposing to get married, so wanting more than just a relation ship.

And so forth. And does Bono always tell the truth?

:up:

Bono said nothing about a vulgar meaning.

ahh........bono and his incessant need to plz everybody!!
i wudnt be surprised if bono said this after reading wat u wrote Lyrical Drug:D
i agree with COBL_04.......u2 lyrics r always mutli-layered. for me this line will always be abt praying for someone u love

Meh

One day he'll just go ahead and write a song called "Kneel" so we can all play with the spiritual/sexual possibilities on internet boards. It would only be the 59th time it appears in a U2 song...

Just because it said it was 'eroticized' doesn't necessarily mean oral sex. At the risk of being in trouble here, I will put this as tastefully as possible: kneeling is not involved in male on female oral sex! It is not comfortable nor practical! It just doesn't work that way. For a dog, maybe, not for a human! Females may kneel to perform it on a sitting male, but male on female, nope, that's not what happens. It is done on the ground on in a bed, usually in a 69 position even if the girl is not doing her half on the other end. Or there is the 'sitting on face' way where the guy is laying on the ground. Again, no kneeling! Therefore, I would say that Bono, surely being experienced, knows this and that is not what he was talking about. Kneeling has NEVER been any kind of reference to oral sex, the 'poetic' term used in songs is usually 'sitting on my face.' :censored:

:eek:

Kneeling is used a lot in HTDAAB, and they are all religious references. So it only makes sense that it is in this song too, now, what he's praying for is open to guessing.

Of course if this post is too nasty a mod can censor it :eek: :reject:

Last edited:
RocknRollKitty said:
Just because it said it was 'eroticized' doesn't necessarily mean oral sex. At the risk of being in trouble here, I will put this as tastefully as possible: kneeling is not involved in male on female oral sex! It is not comfortable nor practical! It just doesn't work that way. For a dog, maybe, not for a human! Females may kneel to perform it on a sitting male, but male on female, nope, that's not what happens. It is done on the ground on in a bed, usually in a 69 position even if the girl is not doing her half on the other end. Therefore, I would say that Bono, surely being experienced, knows this and that is not what he was talking about.

:eek:

Kneeling is used a lot in HTDAAB, and they are all religious references. So it only makes sense that it is in this song too, now, what he's praying for is open to guessing.

Mmmmm kneeling and oral sex go hand in hand! Read the karma sutra it will enlighten you!:wink:

News to me...

Sorry RocknRollKitty...last time I checked they're weren't any rules on how a man can and cannot give oral to a woman. I man could give oral hanging upside down, swinging from the ceiling fan if he wanted lol
Maybe you just need to experiment a little more - you know, get creative!

Re: News to me...

TC said:
Sorry RocknRollKitty...last time I checked they're weren't any rules on how a man can and cannot give oral to a woman. I man could give oral hanging upside down, swinging from the ceiling fan if he wanted lol

What I'm saying is, it's not a well known and popular act or well known enough to become a pop culture reference in the word 'kneel'

As far as someone else doing it, shit, someone else has probably done just about everything, so you can't say anything has never been done. But it's too obscure to use as a reference in a song. The poetic reference in a song for this is 'sitting on the face.;

and biff, it's this smiley :eek:

U2Kitten said:
What I'm saying is, it's not a well known and popular act or well known enough to become a pop culture reference in the word 'kneel'

any phrase related to being "on your knees" has always been a reference to oral sex, whether you are actually ON your knees or not.

U2Kitten said:
But it's too obscure to use as a reference in a song. The poetic reference in a song for this is 'sitting on the face.'

:huh:

i wouldn't even know where to begin to reply to that.

to clarify, i don't mean when a song is about praying or whatever. i mean when it's about sex, being on your knees is an oral sex reference.

Re: Re: News to me...

U2Kitten said:

The poetic reference in a song for this is 'sitting on the face.;

This reminds of that song by The Rotters (featuring Johnny Condom on drums), entitled "Sit on My Face Stevie Nicks".
Does anyone else remember that? Now THAT was poetry!:wink:

Re: Re: News to me...

U2Kitten said:

As far as someone else doing it, shit, someone else has probably done just about everything, so you can't say anything has never been done. But it's too obscure to use as a reference in a song. The poetic reference in a song for this is 'sitting on the face.;

and biff, it's this smiley :eek:

It's not a well known or popluar act? :ohmy:

It's well known and popular to everyone I know. :D

Re: Re: Re: News to me...

biff said:

This reminds of that song by The Rotters (featuring Johnny Condom on drums), entitled "Sit on My Face Stevie Nicks".
Does anyone else remember that? Now THAT was poetry!:wink:

no, but i'm a little disappointed that there have been no monty python references so far.

Re: Re: Re: Re: News to me...

IWasBored said:
no, but i'm a little disappointed that there have been no monty python references so far.

Kimmy, to please you... :flirt:

Sit on my face and tell me that you love me
I'll sit on your face and tell you I love you too
I love to hear you o-ra-lise
When I'm between your thighs
You blow me away.

Sit on my face and let my lips embrace you
I'll sit on your face and then I'll love you truly
Life can be fine if we both sixty nine
If we sit on our faces
In all sorts of places
And play till we're blown away.

Re: News to me...

TC said:

Muff diving works with the man kneeling in front of a woman, of course it does. It is a highly erotic position, anyone who says different has led a very sheltered life. It certainly does it for me, one of my favourites!:wink:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: News to me...

Popmartijn said:

Kimmy, to please you... :flirt:

Sit on my face and tell me that you love me
I'll sit on your face and tell you I love you too
I love to hear you o-ra-lise
When I'm between your thighs
You blow me away.

Sit on my face and let my lips embrace you
I'll sit on your face and then I'll love you truly
Life can be fine if we both sixty nine
If we sit on our faces