City - The perfect U2 song for Valentine’s Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lady luck

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I think “City of blinding lights” is perfect to celebrate Valentine's Day -- How sweet is to hear from someone near to your heart phrases like “I miss you when you’re not around” or “Oh, you look so beautiful tonight”???

I love this song -- it’s one of my favourite on the new record. It’s original, it’s brilliant and it deals with a lot of things: love, time, life.

The music intro lasts enough to create the atmosphere, than Bono’s soft voice enters. Dunno if this song is intended as a prosecution of “last night on earth” (there we had the lyrics “the more you take/the less you feel/the less you know the more you believe..) And dunno if Bono did it express or not -- IMO he didn’t.
“The more you see, the less you know / the less you find out as you go / I knew much more then than I do now”
Well, don’t we learn from experience? So aren’t these lines a sort of contradiction to reality? Maybe it’s a reference to something different than simple experience. As kids, we have the purity and, in some ways, only in childhood we seem to understand things. The more we grow, the more our approach to life changes and our comprehension becomes something else. We believe we know a lot and experience teaches us so many different things, but in some ways we loose the contact with a part of knowledge that only pure hearts can have.
Do you remember when Bono sang: “Teach me/ I know I’m not a hopeless case”? Well, maybe in “city” we’re not as far as it can seem from “beautiful day”. I mean, in BD the question was to be taught something, while here it’s like if we are getting aware that we need to have our pure hearts back! (btw, later in the record, there’s the line “please stay a child somewhere in your heart” -- not a coincidence, definitely!)
“Neon heart/dayglo eyes/a city lit by fireflies/they’re advertising in the sky for people like us”: welcome to NY! Lights everywhere, ads, neon and all that stuff…
And then, the romantic “And I miss you when you’re not around” -- and the line I yearn to hear live “I’m getting ready to leave the ground”. Yes, get ready, because you’re going to leave for the sky. (Will Bono decide to jump from the stage every night??)
“don’t look before you laugh, look ugly in a photograph/
flesh bulbs, purple irises the camera can see”
How many times you looked to picture of you and don’t like it? How many times those pics look false to your eyes?
“I’ve seen you walk unafraid/I’ve seen you in the clothes you made”; i.e., I know you built yourself a shield to defend yourself and for avoiding to show who you really are. Bono seems to address to someone he knows, and he knows how that person really is, beyond the mask she/he built.
“Can you see the beauty inside of me”? Also Bono wears masks. Is there a way to recognize the beauty he has?
“What happened to the beauty I had inside of me?”. A question, with no answer. I think Bono still has beauty inside, we see it in his actions, we hear it in his voice. Maybe he feels he lost part of that goodness -- maybe, he just could not avoid that loss.

And again, love comes in: “I miss you when you’re not around […]Oh you look so beautiful tonight”.

Then the songs becomes a challenge to time:
Time… time… time… time…
Time won’t leave me as I am, but time won’t take the boy out of this man
Whatever can happen, there’s still some pure part inside the heart, and the kindness and goodness stay there, or better spread to all the people we hold near to our hearts.

“Oh you look so beautiful tonight”. -- repeated 3 times (with that delicious “oh!” that makes my mind turn and my heart dance…)

“The more you know, the less you feel
Some pray for others steal
Bless is not just for the one who kneel… luckily”

We’re coming back to the start -- with something added: there’s a hope that everyone can be blessed and

So, isn’t this one of the nicest love songs you can dedicate to someone for Valantine’s Day??
If you don’t agree, post your own suggestions!
Cheers

Lady Luck

lady luck, you really have some great insight into the lyrics. You know, its been hard lately to listen to their music. I've taken the mishandling of the memberships and ticketsales very presonally because we invested in the band with trust that they would want their own fans to have the best, and likewise be surrounded by the best. After reading your post here and about 'Time' in HTDAAB, I feel a little bit better about their music (still steamed about the problems) because it reminds me what I enjoy most about what they do- inject meaning into sound.

:up:
Excellent!

This is one of my new favorites- I loved it from the first time I heard it, where several other had to grow on me.

The lyrics are definitely aweseome. My favorite line:

Blessings aren't just for the ones who kneel- luckily.

The first time I heard it, I thought Bono sang: Blessings aren't just for the ones who kneel, look at me. I thought that was awesome, but then I realized I heard it wrong!

mofo82 said:
lady luck, you really have some great insight into the lyrics. You know, its been hard lately to listen to their music. I've taken the mishandling of the memberships and ticketsales very presonally because we invested in the band with trust that they would want their own fans to have the best, and likewise be surrounded by the best. After reading your post here and about 'Time' in HTDAAB, I feel a little bit better about their music (still steamed about the problems) because it reminds me what I enjoy most about what they do- inject meaning into sound.

That was my purpose!
I adore when people understand me!

And Ultraviolet: I love your misheard!

I love that line too Blessing aren't just for the ones who kneel-luckily. It really says alot about how society is about God and religion. I am spiritual but not religious and I don't get on my knees when I pray. I never really did. It is just such a heavy thing. get on your knees and pray, then God will answer you. Bono really brings it out to the forefront and says it. I like it that he sees things in a simple way and that everyone is blessed and loved. Whether you know it or not . Peace:wink: :wink:

Lady Luck,

I like your interpretation of the lyrics to COBL...and yes, to me too, there definately is a string of thoughts throughout the entire album that leaves me with a new feeling of hope and that's really resonnating to me personally at this stage in my life.
Especially "the more you know, the less you feel", which, to me, means that in youth lies an innocent and trusting ability to go by your feelings and then, of course, you get burned, and start rationalizing more instead of feeling - upto the extreme of not feeling anything anymore.
And then there he sings it "the worst pain is to feel nothing at all" - "you cant be numb for love" - "please stay a child somewhere in your heart" - "show me your soul"

and that, to me, is a turning point, and makes a full circle : you start out naive, loving trusting, pull back in your shell and hide behind a fense of your choice because events hurt (on a personal scale and on a wider scale, society-wise) and in stead of becoming bitter and cold, you use the knowledge you've gained throughout this journey and use it to love again, but this time it's not a naive love, it's a more knowing love, a compassionate love, a more selfless love (because you've learned that that's the only way love really works, selflessly) and it's drenched with the hard times but instead of rejecting them, they are embraced because they made you into the loving person you are today.

Boy, I'm off on a tangeant. Lady Luck inspired me :)

Last edited:
Hello :wave:
I think this song is really inspired by a visit made by Bono at an exposition of Anton Corbin in 2003. Bono saw a picture of himself when he was twenty and he said that he was really impressed by the innocence of his eyes.
I think that Bono tried to recapture the feeling of this era, his meeting with Ali, the first time they left Ireland with the band and discovered America, his first steps in the adult life...
Sometimes i think that 'city' is a love song written by the 44 years Bono to the 20 years Bono.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom