City of Blinding lights +9/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellyinsf

The Fly
My old friend just told me that city of Blinding lights is about 9/11. I love this song. It is the best song on the album. Did anyone else think it was about something different? What are your thoughts on this song... it is very powerful.

Its definetely about 9-11. Bono said its how he viewed New York when they performed there soon after 9-11.

Well, i guess its more about the NYC after 9/11 than the 9/11 itself.

But actually i find it as a song only inspired on these events.

As for me its definitely about youth and the power which follows from it. Maybe these are some memories of Bono being young...?

Its about superiority of the feelings over the life experience.
About getting to know the world.
About delight.
About carefreeness.
And about passing time.

"Time wont leave me as I am
But time wont take the boy out of this man"

I just adore this song coz it struck me with its truth and simplicity. It says the things that i feel ;)

Again, its the matter of interpretation. For you, it can be about something completely different :cool:

For some reason, I see this as another one of those u2 songs that mean a whole bunch of different things. I see it as a dedication to NY after 9/11, but I see it also with some references to Ali.

"Oh, you look so beautiful tonight" obviously, but in the second verse it sounds like he's talking to Ali.

"I've seen you walk unafraid, I've seen you in the clothes you made. Can you see the beauty inside of me? What happened to the beauty I had inside of me?"

I say this because it fits and a little while back Bono talked in detail about his love for Ali in a Vanity Fair article and mentioned how she used to make her own clothes.

I vaguely remember seeing something (in print? on TV? can't remember) where Bono specifically said that the name of this song and especially the "Oh - you - look - so - beautiful - tonight!" part were directly inspired by the fans at U2's post-9/11 New York concert.

But like everything else on this album, it started out as one thing and ended up much more personal. Good song!

goat

Back
Top Bottom