Can anyone help me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiniKat

Babyface
Does anyone know what Bono is singing after the second chorus of Vertigo? I know in the booklet it says 'checkmated, hours of fun'
But it doesn't sound like that, and after that he says something that sonds a bit like 'chow mein yeah' but I don't think that's right
lol
Anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?

I know that the previous post was in jest - but there is a point to be made. Bono strikes me as the kind of guy that doesn't mind coming accross as flippant and care free. In reality, he is very calculated and thoughtful. When answering some questions, he often goes the path of least resistance, giving an answer that won't lead to as many questions. For example - regarding the Mysterious Ways video - he says "I have a weakness for Belly Dancers". Maybe so, but to the trained eye and ear, the video/song is much more symbolic than that - (next time you watch, notice that the bellydancer is presented in front of a full-moon backdrop).

I wouldn't dismiss anything he does or says as "happening by chance" or rambling - there is usually something deeper going on.

Back to the original topic - I have often found that it is easier to understand some of Bono's less coherant lyrics when listening to live performances (assuming he stays true to the original lyric)...

As for the Vertigo lyric, I often hear it as "just made it... hours of fun...".

webmaster (_at_) staringattheson . com

I agree, in this case the album lyric seems to differ from the live one. To get a better understanding, one may have to approach it phonetically, remembering that it may not even be an English word or phrase.

How I hear it (this is going to differ from person to person, and I don't want to suggest this is accurate - just another way to analyze the lyric)
1st Phrase (around 1:46)
jut-med-ed

2nd Phrase (around 1:50)
shawez-a-faw

3rd Phrase (around 1:52)
shaw-me-neh-ney-yeh

Unfortunately I only know English. It wouldn't be far fetched to suggest that Bono used foreign phrasing on the album, yet changed it to a similar (audibly/rhythmically) English phrase for live performances.

Back
Top Bottom