Bono's Loopiness In HTDAAB: Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
come my fellow anti-jickians, let us bang our heads against that brick wall in protest! :banghead:

Vote 1 for proposition 401! It goes something like, 'Shut the hell up Jick!' Fighting for a brighter tomorrow!

Last edited:
I actually like jick threads, at least they show some contemplation and thought on the subject.

bcrt2000 said:
ZOO STATION, ZOO STATION

IM READY, IM READY for the laughing gas
IM READY, IM READY for whats next
IM READY to duck, IM READY to die
IM READY to say im glad to be alive
IM READY, IM READY for the crush

ZOO STATION, ZOO STATION

IM READY, IM READY for the gridlock
IM READY, to take it to the street
IM READY for the shuffle, READY for the deal, READY to let go of every steering wheel
IM READY, READY for the crush

ZOO STATION, ZOO STATION

ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT, its ALRIGHT, its ALRIGHT, its ALRIGHT, its ALRIGHT, its ALRIGHT, HEY BABY, HEY BABY, HEY BABY, HEY BABY, its ALRIGHT, its ALRIGHT, its ALRIGHT...

[i could go on and on with this song]

EBTTRT

GIVE ME <--- used a million times in this song
YOU'LL BE <-- used a million times
CHANCE <-- used a million times
THE REAL THING <-- used a million times

One

HEART <-- used in the last song as well as this song
Love <-- used a million times
one <-- obviously used a million times here

Until the end of the world

end of the world
love

lets skip down a few tracks

Fly

secret <-- used a million times in this song

Mysterious Ways
its alright also used in this song a million times as well as zoo station....

this thread is so ridiculous

Hey yeah but Zoo Station's a GREAT song where as most of HTDAAB aint.

bcrt2000 said:

All because of you and Yahweh are about God, Vertigo is about Jesus, Original of the Species is about religious zealots, love and peace or else is about the mid east crisis, one step closer is about bono's father losing faith before his death, city of blinding lights is about big cities & 9/11, sometimes you can't make it on your own is about bono's father

all of these songs have heavy religious themes, so its not suprising kneel is used a couple of times in this album, its not like we haven't heard that word before (mysterious ways comes to mind right away with any mention of the word kneel) :)

What's a religious zealot?:huh:

Diemen said:
Haha...this is great.

I have climbed the highest mountain
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you

Desert sky
Dream beneath a desert sky

Oh, oh on borderland we run
And still we run, we run and don't look back
I'll be there, I'll be there
Tonight, tonight

I'll be there tonight, I believe
I'll be there so high
I'll be there tonight, tonight.

Don't believe what you hear
don't believe what you see

You say you want diamonds on a ring of gold
You say you want your story to remain untold.

To let it go
And so to fade away

To let it go
And so fade away

Like a desert needs rain
Like a town needs a name
etc.

-------
Jick, you've proven nothing
You've proven nothing
Nothing is all you've proven

:wink:

best. post. ever.

or at least, of the day :wink:

UnforgettableLemon said:
OOTs and religious zealots :confused:

OOTS= Bono and/or Edge's kids
DaveC said:

what the hell song are you listening to??!? :scratch:
rjhbonovox said:

What's a religious zealot?:huh:

the song is basically about religious people who want other to follow what they believe, ie people who think they are right, and only their way can you attain salvation, etc, and want to force their beliefs on others

-----
Baby slow down
The end is not as fun as the start [basically saying, stop talking about the end of the world, day of judgement etc]
Please stay a child somewhere in your heart

I’ll give you everything you want
Except the thing that you want [i'll give you the whole world, i'll love you, but i won't follow your faith blindly]
You are the first one of your kind

And you feel like no-one before
You steal right under my door
And I kneel ‘cos I want you some more [i'm religious only because i want you to love me]
I want the lot of what you got
And I want nothing that you’re not [i like most of you, and i dont want you to be anything that you arent, but i dont want that closed minded part of you either]

Everywhere you go you shout it
You don’t have to be shy about it [saying your beliefs, faith]

Some things you shouldn’t get too good at
Like smiling, crying and celebrity
Some people got way too much confidence baby [confidence in evangelism]

I’ll give you everything you want
Except the thing that you want
You are the first one of your kind

I kneel ‘cos I want you some more
I want the lot of what you got
And I want nothing that you’re not

You don’t have to be shy about it, no
And you’ll never be alone
Come on now show your soul
You’ve been keeping your love under control [your real love isn't telling what you believe, but practising it]

You don’t have to be shy about it

Oh my my

I kneel ‘cos I want you some more
I want you some more, I want you some more…

-----

thats my interpretation of the song anyway.. i see the parents to child meaning as well, but i think this is sort of a double thing, like how "one" was about the aids crisis in africa & father and son & the band almost breaking up

Last edited:
I've heard Bono say it was originally for Edge's children....and then at a performance he said something along the lines that it was for anyone who ever looked at everyone else and wondered they weren't measuring up because of their own self-imposed doubts on themselves and whatnot. So, it's like being unsure of oneself and their place in the grand scheme of things.

Now, I see Crumbs def. having a little dig at zealots.

starsgoblue said:
I've heard Bono say it was originally for Edge's children....and then at a performance he said something along the lines that it was for anyone who ever looked at everyone else and wondered they weren't measuring up because of their own self-imposed doubts on themselves and whatnot. So, it's like being unsure of oneself and their place in the grand scheme of things.

Now, I see Crumbs def. having a little dig at zealots.

that explanation that bono gave at the performance sounds kinda like what i think the song is about.. (although i guess zealot was a harsher word than what i was looking for) when bono is at his best we get so many interpretations of songs, not only from the fans, but from the band itself

Didn´t think hard enough about this thread, hah Jick ?

"I’ll give you everything you WANT
Except the thing that you WANT"

I guess that part is the most disturbing line in the album because it is Bono not making any sense. It is also repetetive a show Bono didn't even bother looking at a theasaurus.

Also my references to loopiness were geared more towards the last words, or the rhyming words for that matter. Not the first words or the use of the same words and phrases (kinda like in Hawkmoon). Bono seems to have lost his rhyming touch.

But I have to give it to Bono for Miracle Drug "I wanna hear you when you CALL, do you feel anything at ALL?" Everyone other singer in the face of this planet has used the tried and tested rhyme of "call and fall" - at least Bono avoided that pitfall and used "call and all" - although Bono used "call-fall" in Slide Away.

Cheers,

J

Tip Top Prince said:
A friend of my father's co-worker's daughter's teacher mentioned this to me and I told him he was a fucking moron. :)

that was cool.

it made my head hurt though.

jick said:
"I’ll give you everything you WANT
Except the thing that you WANT"

I guess that part is the most disturbing line in the album because it is Bono not making any sense. It is also repetetive a show Bono didn't even bother looking at a theasaurus.

Also my references to loopiness were geared more towards the last words, or the rhyming words for that matter. Not the first words or the use of the same words and phrases (kinda like in Hawkmoon). Bono seems to have lost his rhyming touch.

But I have to give it to Bono for Miracle Drug "I wanna hear you when you CALL, do you feel anything at ALL?" Everyone other singer in the face of this planet has used the tried and tested rhyme of "call and fall" - at least Bono avoided that pitfall and used "call and all" - although Bono used "call-fall" in Slide Away.

Cheers,

J

There's a whole thread discussing this OotS line. It really can't be written any other way. It's not Bono running out of words; but rather an idea conceived on purpose. It's irony. If you change the words, it doesn't make sense.

As far as the most overused rhyme, it would have to be some form of I'm down on my knees, begging you please.

Everyone who has done such, please refrain from negative comments towards jick. Attacks against other members are not allowed.

Bonochick said:
Everyone who has done such, please refrain from negative comments towards jick. Attacks against other members are not allowed.

I would like to Say that I think Jick's comments are very interesting and informative and whilst I'm writing, I would like to add that I think you have done a great job here moderating, jolly good show!

ADecentMelody said:

As far as the most overused rhyme, it would have to be some form of I'm down on my knees, begging you please.

Also wave your hands in the air like you don't care has been used far far far too many times.

Oh, I don't know. I kind of like the rhythm of the repetition sometimes. There's a nice irony between what the singer wants and the singee wants--an interesting dynamic. I always loved the dynamic in U2's music.

Have you ever tried writing poetry?

If anyone has ever tried to write poetry, and as such, used rhyme or repetition, it's bloody hard!! I'd like to see someone come up with better rhymes for the song in question (Original...) I know I wouldn't be able to.

Back
Top Bottom