Bono's "laundry list" lyrics - love em? hate em?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't mind the examples in the first thread. I have less patience for lyrics made of stuff like this:

"I'm ready for the _____
I'm ready for the _____"

or

"Don't ______
don't _______"

or

"It's no secret that a _____ is a _____"

or

"some days are _____
some days are _____"

and listing a bunch of lines from ads in a song.

That's mostly just parallel construction - all sorts of poets use that. And now that you bring it up, Bono does use that a lot.

TOTALLY NOT!!! Totally not! oh I couldn't disagree more!!!!

I think it's much more free association, that he doesn't quite know how HE feels about the words/ideas and is reluctant to make a decision until he has more 'feedback'.

It IS a democracy! :)

He doesn't know how he feels, he is reluctant to be dogmatic and really WANTS to know how others feel, really wants them to chip in with their opinions.

I think that's great. :up:

Not every great artist wants to preach you know, especially when he is unsure, especially when he is young and unformed, insecure and vulnerable and KNOWS it.

And I think that is a BEAUTIFUL thing.

:heart:

Yeah, like I said he was unable to express himself as completely as he wanted to because he was still young and insecure. I'm not criticising him for that, its totally understandable, I'm just pointing it out. He was still growing as a performer and had still to find his voice.

Part of the charm of early U2 is the fact that they were unsure of themselves and feeling their way along the wall so to speak. Its like Bono says their naivety was their biggest strength in the early days.

Yeah, like I said he was unable to express himself as completely as he wanted to because he was still young and insecure. I'm not criticising him for that, its totally understandable, I'm just pointing it out. He was still growing as a performer and had still to find his voice.

Part of the charm of early U2 is the fact that they were unsure of themselves and feeling their way along the wall so to speak. Its like Bono says their naivety was their biggest strength in the early days.

Yeah LIKE I SAID :madspit: :madspit: :madspit::tongue::tongue::tongue: :down::down::down: Killjoy!!!!!

You forget one thing: IT'S NOT IMMATURE TO VALUE THE OPINIONS OF OTHERS!!!

To basically NOT think you are
God, but rather a drop in the ocean........

Of life........

:lmao:

I really like these sort of lyrics, especially in Stay, just the way its sung is amazing and those lyrics fit with the song perfectly. Those ones in New York I have always liked and thought were quite smart and descriptive of New York City.

You forget one thing: IT'S NOT IMMATURE TO VALUE THE OPINIONS OF OTHERS!!!

:huh: When did I say it was?

I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't value the opinions of others. I think I responded to your post in a pretty honest and respectful manner.

What I posted was just my opinion, I'm not saying its truth. You don't have to agree with it, but you do have to be respectful of it.

Bono's lyrics fit the music and that is his job, as a songwriter. He only has several minutes to get your attention, create an image, tell a story and leave you with something new. He doesn't have the luxury of having hours of your attention, to develop the theme and built a three act plot. Where as, every author does. I feel it would be "unfair" to compare him to Walt Whitman or even Yeats, as their poetry was meant to be read at the reader's leisure.

:huh: When did I say it was?

I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't value the opinions of others. I think I responded to your post in a pretty honest and respectful manner.

What I posted was just my opinion, I'm not saying its truth. You don't have to agree with it, but you do have to be respectful of it.

I'm not sure I understand but I actually think we are agreeing. :confused: :huh:

You said 'insecure' like it was a critism. Maybe I am being over-sensitive.

Just so you know, I absolutely respect your opinion and your right to express it. Even if it pisses me off. (I'm not saying it did! :hug:)

Hello folks.

The 'lyrisc' in Bad - aren't they that weay because they are from the point of view of the addict so someone who is going through those feelings wouldn't necessarily be in the most articulate frame of mind. Those feelings wouldn't give one in a Wodehousian burst of stylistic articulacy.

In the case of New York, i would suggest there is an element of the tourist, so the list serve as snapshots or perhaps as postcards.

Just a thought.

If Bono's writing in songs is 'lazy songwriting,' then what do you think of Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire"? All he did was list historical names, events, places, etc., and I think it's an amazing song - mostly for the fact that he could it! Creative genius.

If Bono's writing in songs is 'lazy songwriting,' then what do you think of Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire"? All he did was list historical names, events, places, etc., and I think it's an amazing song - mostly for the fact that he could it! Creative genius.

Well, Billy Joel sucks.....just kidding....:D

Back
Top Bottom