Bono vs. Edge...lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mofo82

Refugee
I've always wondered as I'm listening to their music who contributed which lyrics to which songs...if certain lines or entire songs belong to someone other than Bono.

If anyone knows of any specific lines that, say, Larry or Edge wrote that Bono sang, please Post.

This isn't a question of if anyone else has contibuted lyrics, but WHICH lyrics came from WHOM.

I'd have to look back but from the top of my head I think POP was the first album where Bono & Edge actually shared writing credits until then it was usually Bono with the few noted exceptions.

babyman said:
i think edge wrote the entire sunday bloody sunday

No, there's actually a quote from Edge saying how his lyric writing back then sucked because he wanted to throw some line about the IRA in and Bono came up with a much more eloquant way to say it.

I'll see if I can find it.

Sunday Bloody Sunday -- Suddenly, U2 entered the political arena with a song which linked Ireland's two Bloody Sundays, 1920 and 1971, with the crucifixion ("The real battle is begun / To claim the victory Jesus won / On a Sunday, bloody Sunday"). The Edge reckons they wrote it naively, without considering the consequences. But it might have caused a more serious backlash if the guitarist had got his way. Unusually he conceived the original lyric as well as the music. It began, "Don't talk to me about the rights of the IRA." He can smile about it now: "My words were pretty clumsy, a polemic. Bono shifted it to being much less political, more of a personal reflection." After Noraid-supporting Irish-Americans misunderstood and began throwing money on the stage when U2 played the song, Bono responded with the introduction: "This is not a rebel song!" When they played it the day after the Enniskillen bombing in 1988, as immortalised by the Rattle And Hum movie, he added a raging "Fuck the revolution!" Sunday Bloody Sunday resulted in enduring opprobrium from Republicans, and prompted a denunciation from Gerry Adams. "Thankfully those days are long gone," says Edge. "We're optimistic about what's been happening."

I know that edge had a huge part in Please. He was writing "And you never knew......."
He also helped bono with Kite.

been away from this post for a while- thats cool about edge's role in 'sunday bloody sunday'

alot of people seem to want to edgo to rip us all a new one with his guitar work on the next album, but i think its some of the quieter moments that really blow me away, then lead into a heavy guitar solo. the song im thinkin of right now is 'dirty day'-
edge singing 'Love, it wont last kissin time
Love, it wont last kissin time
Love, it wont last kissin time'
followed by edge goin to town and
'The days, days, days run away like
horses over the hill'

yes,actually,that's my opinion as well.he really produced it to become really intimate and close
and NUMB-oh,that's the greatest song ever!

I think Edge wrote Van Diemen's land, Numb, co-written Dirty day (I always thought it was Edge singing "love it won't last kissin' time" part), they're both credited on POP, and on ATYCLB Bono and Edge co-wrote Stuck in a moment, Kite and When I look at the world.

Back
Top Bottom