Beautiful Day Lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
A long time ago I posted a long-winded explanation on my take regarding the lyrics for Beautiful Day. I let the video influence my opinion. After spending time reading the bible and daily doses of U2, I think the song is rather simple and straight forward.

I think the whole song is about Noah's journey, God's promise not to ever destroy the world with a flood again, using the rainbow as a sign, and Bono's message to all that It WAS a beautiful day when that promise was made, and then he changes past tense to present tense, reminding everyone of that Beautiful Day when God made that promise to Noah, and telling us "don't let it get away!" The song is a prayer, too. During the live version at Slane castle, Bono clearly says "teach me, Lord, I know I'm not a hopeless case". Finally, the song ends with the inevitable - death - "what you don't have you don't need in now" -all material wealth is useless, and "what you don't know you can feel it somehow" - an anknowledgement of faith and the presence of God.

There are a lot of ways to interpret the song, but I think the first two verses are actually Noah's laments after spending so much time in the Ark. Noah did lament during the time at sea. "You're on the road...but you've got no destination"..."you're in the mud, in the maze of Her imagination"...the bible mentions "muddy water". "You love this town (earth), even if that doesn't ring true"...Noah trusted in God, and he understood God's anger, but he was crushed by the destruction of so much and so many. "You've been all over, and it's been all over you" sums it up pretty well. The next part about "See the world in green and blue...etc. is a conversation between Noah and God, the one in which Noah pleads with God to never do this again, and God makes his promise, and uses the rainbow as his sign..."after the flood, all the colors came out".

Bono has been quoted as saying the song is about a man who's lost everything and has to start over again. I think that man is specifically Noah. In a way, the song is a celebration about that beautiful day when God made that promise, and he's urging and reminding us to remember that promise and to cherish and live out your dreams every single day.

I still hear Beautiful Day on the radio. I doubt most people analyze the lyrics, but just like the melody and the uplifting nature of the song. I used to think this song was a little to "pop" and was U2's way of trying to establish a hit single to carry the album. Now, I think it's an incredible song, and it will go down in history as one of the top songs of all time from the band. It won 3 grammies and it was very well deserved. The live version from Slane Castle is about as good as it gets. It is really a beautiful day.

:up: Nice analysis. I always felt that there was something deep about BD, even though a lot of people didn't seem to think so. It's a beautiful song and I love the imagery that it conjures in my mind when I listen to the lyrics.

I read that interpretation of "Beautiful Day" and thought it was EXCELLENT!:yes:

As with most of U2's music, "Beautiful Day" is a multilayered song replete with Biblical images and inspiration AND a foundation in the everyday experiences of life - the positives and the negatives.

On SO many levels "Beautiful Day" is a modern day psalm - similiar to those of King David where the author (Bono) sets about to make sense of the world he finds around him and when he can't, petitions the Lord to help him by taking him to "that higher place" because he (Bono) knows that he's "not a hopeless case". :up: :angel:

The author (Bono) attempts to communicate to us through his own experience in the song (psalm) that there is ALWAYS a Higher Power that is ready and willing to help ELEVATE US out of any trouble or problem that we are in.

LIFE IS NOT HOPELESS - all we have to do is to BE WILLING TO ASK GOD for His help and it WILL BE GIVEN UNTO US!:hug:

AN EXCELLENT SONG WHICH WILL BRING POSITIVITY AND HOPE TO MANY PEOPLE IN YEARS TO COME!

Thank you for posting this thread and THANK YOU, BONO, FOR GIVING US GUIDANCE AND INSPIRATION THROUGH YOUR SONGS (PSALMS)!:bono: :heart: :heart: :wave:

That was wonderful!
Now that I think about it, it does make perfect sense for the song to be about Noah.

interesting..i've always thought that the lyrics "there's no room...no space to rent in this town" might refer to Mary and Joseph... great analysis!

The song may indeed have various religious connotations, but as an athiest and someone who is by and large anti-religion, i like to view beautiful day as an expression of happines and a source of motivation.

Yeah me too, I like the Lord thing. The beauty of BD is that it can be appreciated on so many levels, and by ppl of different backgrounds. The genius of B' lyrics are that he crafts them so that they have just enough specificity to derive great meaning, and just enough ambiguity so that many people can map their experiences onto what B is saying. Genius!

Very interesting interpretation beLIEve :)

No matter how down I feel, when I hear that song it makes me joyous for a couple of minutes. Here is a corny story...one day a couple of weeks ago I was feeling so down, I went for a walk and there was a rainbow, w/ Beautiful Day playing on the radio station I was listening to.

I always thought the middle verse was clearly about the book of genesis

see the world in green and blue
see china right in front of you
see the canyon broken by cloud
see the tuna fleet clearing the sea out
see the bedouin fires at night
see the oil fields at first light
and see the bird with a leaf in her mouth
after the flood all the colors came out

the first lines there are about the story of creation and the last one is clearly noah's ark story.

I use to think it was a reference to Genesis...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always thought the middle verse was clearly about the book of genesis

see the world in green and blue
see china right in front of you
see the canyon broken by cloud
see the tuna fleet clearing the sea out
see the bedouin fires at night
see the oil fields at first light
and see the bird with a leaf in her mouth
after the flood all the colors came out

the first lines there are about the story of creation and the last one is clearly noah's ark story

I USED TO THINK THE SAME THING. HOWEVER, I GO BACK TO BONO'S STATEMENT ABOUT "IT'S THE STORY OF A MAN WHO'S LOST EVERYTHING, AND HAS TO START ALL OVER AGAIN". IF THIS VERSE WERE ABOUT GENESIS, SHOULD IT REALLY MENTION SOME OF THE MODERN DAY REFERENCES TO THE GOOD, BAD, AND THE UGLY DOWN HERE? TUNA FLEETS CLEARING THE SEAS OUT? OIL FIELDS AT FIRST LIGHT...THE PLACE OF SO MUCH WAR AND DEATH? AGAIN, HERE'S NOAH...MAYBE A MODERN DAY VERSION, PLEADING WITH GOD ABOUT HOW HORRIBLE THE DESTRUCTION OF THE EARTH WAS, DESPITE ALL THE THINGS WRONG WITH IT AND WITH US. GOD LISTENED TO THAT LAMENT, AND WHEN THE BIRD CAME BACK TO THE ARC WITH THE FIG LEAF, THERE WAS MUCH RELIEF AMONG NOAH AND HIS FAMILY, AND ALSO A PROMISE TO NOAH FROM GOD THAT THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN, AND HE POINTED TO THE RAINBOW AS A SIGN OF THAT COMMITMENT. THAT'S A REALLY HEAVY COMMITMENT, AND THAT'S WHAT I THINK THIS SONG IS ALL ABOUT. WE SHOULDN'T BE TAKING THAT BEAUTIFUL DAY FOR GRANTED.

BY THE WAY, I TOO AGREE WITH THE FACT THAT U2'S LYRICS CAN MEAN MANY THINGS TO MANY PEOPLE, NO MATTER WHAT THEY BELIEVE PERSONALLY OR HEAR IN A SONG. LIKE I SAID IN MY FIRST POST, I THOUGHT I HAD THIS SONG ALL FIGURED OUT AFTER THE VIDEO, BUT THAT'S ALL CHANGED NOW. IT WILL PROBABLY CHANGE AGAIN. SORRY FOR ALL CAPS...

beLIEve

MrsSpringsteen said:
I went for a walk and there was a rainbow, w/ Beautiful Day playing on the radio station I was listening to.

:cute:

Wonderful and interesting interpretation, beLIEve. I always enjoy reading further into U2 lyrics and finding out they mean something completely different than what I originally thought. What I love is how Bono can mask lyrics that could easily be biblical and makes them more general. I, too, am not a part of any religion nor do I believe in a god but I can appreciate songs like "Until the End of the World" as amazingly intellgent story telling and interpretations of the bible.

He's just so talented and rad. Go, Bono GO!

I believe Bono once said Beautiful Day could be interpreted as a modern Christmas song, which fits in with the biblical interpretation. We interpreted it like that with my choir anyway, sung it on our christmas concert as an encore, it was really beautiful - all the guys pulled out their lighters :) anyway, check it out if you like YouTube - Beautiful Day choir version by Organum

Back
Top Bottom