Any thoughts on with or without you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 love 1 life

The Fly
Hey everyone!My favorite song of all time is with or without you. But to be honest, the song, i think, can be interpreted in a positive or negative way. Does anyone agree with me? Is it a romantic song?

Thanks
Kez -x-

I've always thought about wowy as a song linked to the pain that goes with love.
You know, the lines "on a bad of nails" , "I can't live, with or without you", "you give yourself away" are so full of pain and of a feeling that nothing's going as it should.
And in the end, Bono's sort of hauling always makes me think about a research for a way to escape from pain. A sort of cry to free oneself.

Hope you can understand what I mean...

I understand what you are saying but just to be sure, did you accidently say bad instead of On a bed of nails,, she makes me wait? I don't mean to be rude forgive me.

It's a negative song. People who use it as their wedding song creep me out. Same goes for Every Breath You Take by The Police. These are not happy happy joy joy songs. :mad:

beli said:
It's a negative song. People who use it as their wedding song creep me out. Same goes for Every Breath You Take by The Police. These are not happy happy joy joy songs. :mad:

I would add "One" and "All I Want Is You" to that list. What on earth could those people be thinking?? (Not much, apparently.) But I'm sure she was wearing a lovely frock.:wink:

biff said:

I would add "One" and "All I Want Is You" to that list. What on earth could those people be thinking?? (Not much, apparently.) But I'm sure she was wearing a lovely frock.:wink:

No. I'm sure people who choose those songs have puffball frocks. :wink:

biff said:

so true and so ironic ...

the thing is...is that with or without you is a song bout the reality of love...the pain and the waiting that goes with it. whereas all these sickly corny love songs portay a fake kind of love....like looking through rose-tinted glasses...

I would NOT add All I Want Is You to that list!! One, With or without you, every breath are certainly dark, twisted love songs but surely not All I Want Is You. To me thats a declaration of love, pure and simple.

mysticchild said:
I understand what you are saying but just to be sure, did you accidently say bad instead of On a bed of nails,, she makes me wait? I don't mean to be rude forgive me.

you're not ... and you're right ... I wrote it wrong! Sorry

pop marter said:
I would NOT add All I Want Is You to that list!! One, With or without you, every breath are certainly dark, twisted love songs but surely not All I Want Is You. To me thats a declaration of love, pure and simple.

She wants a ring of gold, this, that and the other thing, and all he wants is her. It's not romantic to me, not unless you consider one sided love romantic.

beli said:

She wants a ring of gold, this, that and the other thing, and all he wants is her. It's not romantic to me, not unless you consider one sided love romantic.

You got to be kidding, I think you are misinterpreting the lyrics, All I Want is You is a great love song, and the end captures everything, shouting at the top of your lungs that "ALL I WANT IS YOU" you can't get any more romantic, sincere, then that! Drowning Man is another great Wedding song IMO!

beli said:

Are you forgetting about all the things she'll give too.

"You say you'll give me a highway with no one on it
Treasure just to look upon it
All the riches in the night
You say you'll give me eyes in a moon of blindness
A river in a time of dryness
A harbour in the tempest"

I don't think there's anything one sided about this song at all.

Back
Top Bottom