Another Boston Elevation question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starsgoblue

Blue Crack Addict
Ok so in "Sunday Bloody Sunday" I know Bono ad libs a paraphrase from Bob Marley... But who is he refering to when he sings this:

Oh Johnny was a good man, love
Oh Johnny was a good man

Some Irish folk song perhaps?:eyebrow:

Who is Johnny?

Well, here is what I thought when I first watched the DVD. "Johnny" is John Lennon. Sunday Bloody Sunday has taken on many themes when played live. Still, the central theme is always to raise awareness and then anger towards senseless violence and killing.

When Bono starts his "Get up stand up, stand up for your rights", he often slips this in on the second chorus "Get up standup, never take a life" and "Get up standup, gotta do what's right".

The reason I think "Johnny" is John Lennon is because of the Boston version of Bullet the Blue Sky. Watching that, especially the ending, makes me think he's referring to John Lennon all along.

So that's my two cents, and my two cents is free...

Johnny Was is also a Bob Marley song. It is on his Rastaman Vibration album. I have it on the Songs Of Freedom boxset and this is the small info that accompanies the song:

Johnny Was
Johnny was a good boy. This song was Bob's declaration that he refused to be directly political: Rasta don't work for the "shitstem", or for the CIA - should Bob have wondered that he became number one on the CIA's "Most Observed" list in Jamaica? If you lived in the ghetto it was commonplace to rub shoulders with the neighbourhood's ranking gunmen; in the years to come various friends and associates in that line of work were shot to death - among them Bucky Marshall, Frowser, and Claudie Massop, at whose funeral in Tivoli Gardens, Kingston, this song was played. The "Johnny" in the song title was believed to be Carlton "Bat Man" Wilson, brother of singer Delroy Wilson; his habit of disarming wrongdoers under threat of his own twin barrels had finally brought about its inevitable last act. Bat Man was gunned down in a bar and left for dead. When he eventually recovered, Bat Man heeded the prevailing wind and left Kingston for the safer climes of Brooklyn.

C ya!

Marty

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom