All roads lead to where you are

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the soul waits

New Yorker
Hey,

I'm new here so I can't search yet, so I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I'm intrigued by the line "All roads lead to where you are" from Love comes Tumbling.

I'm curious how Bono meant this line to be interpreted because I always thought of it as a self-reflective thought, as in : no matter what you do, choose, ignore, ....life is always present and right in front of you, as it is. No matter where you run to, there will always be you and where you are now is right where you need to be in your process of life.

But then all of a sudden I thought that Bono maybe meant it has a romantic line, as in he's pre-destined to be with this other person the song's about. And that would kind of dissapoint me if that were in fact the meaning because then, it sounds cheesy to me.

Any thoughts?

Hi!

To me it would mean inner-reflection.....all roads leading to one's self.

Verbally it can be interpreted as all roads lead to you {as someone else}

As for Bono's intent...you'd probably have to ask him.

Hope that helps.

carol
wizard2

c:)

Hi,

These days i thought about these lines a lot.

I interpreted this song in the romantic way.
No matter where you'll go all the ways you'll choose to go , you will find the person that you should be with. even if you will try to avoid it.

Bono says : " I forget that i can't stay and so I say that all roads lead to where you are..."
I think he meant that he knows he can't stay but inside of him he can feel and know that they will meet again because it is a desteny.

I also think, like Meital, it's a romantic line.
No matter what he does, where he is, he will always get back to his wife.

Again, I see it as more a romantic song albeit a rather troubled one! Ultimately the love shines through despite the knocks, though, hence, ' all roads lead to where you are'.

I think the song is about destiny. You can't run from it. Because it will always be there. Destiny in Life and in Love: meeting that one person you're bound to spend the rest of your life with. That sort of thing.

(By the way, I'm a newbie too ) :wave:

Hi fellow newbie :wave:

Destiny? Is there such a thing? Ponder ponder (and the wrong forum for this type of question probably)

I still think of the lyric as a concept of the here and now. You can't run from yourself, you and your baggage will always be present, right here.
Bono expressed it beautifully, whichever meaning one gives to it, imo. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom