A Sort of Homecoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freefall

Refugee
The lyrics verbatim from the CD jacket:

"And you know its time to go
Through the sleet and driving snow
Across the fields of mourning to a
Light that's in the distance.

And you hunger for the time
Time to heal, 'desire' time
And your earth moves beneath
Your own dream landscape.

Oh, oh, on borderland we run
and still we run, we run and don't look back.
I'll be there, I'll be there
Tonight, a highroad, a highroad out of here.

The city walls are all come down
The dust a smokescreen all around see
Faces ploughed like fields that once
Gave no resistance.

And we live by the side of the road
On the side of the hill as the valleys explode
Dislocated, suffocated
The land grows weary of its own.

(O coma way, O coma way, o coma, O coma way say I)

Oh, Oh on borderland we run,
And still we run, we run and don't look back.
Tonight, tonight...

(O coma way, O coma way, o coma, O coma way say I)

The wind will crack in wintertime
A bomb-blast lightning waltz
No spoken words, just a scream...

Tonight we'll build a bridge across the sea and land
See the sky, the burning rain
She will die and live again
Tonight

And your heart beats so slow
Through the rain and the fallen snow
Across the fields of mourning
To a light that's in the distance
Oh don't sorrow, no don't weep
For tonight, at last
I am coming home
I am coming home.

I am getting continually convinced that this song was written post the exodus from the Shalom group as a form of release (if that is the most adequate word for it) over the situation. Examine the words carefully, and if you're familiar with the involvement of Bono, Edge and Larry with Shalom perhaps you will agree.

"And you know its time to go (from Shalom)
through the sleet and driving snow (the frigidity of Shalom towards their friends like Guggi and Gavin, the change in the ministry group when they began to gain notoriety)
Across the fields of mourning (their loss) to a light that's in the distance (the light being the the truth they would continue to follow, even if it meant leaving their spiritual nurturers)

They run on the borderland, neither totally dedicated to "fanatical/fundamental Christianity, or to the world at large and rock stardom. They will run and not look back, but they still haven't denied their faith, they are on a highroad out of here. They're still building a bridge across the sea and land...they have died to Shalom, but they live again. The city wall came down, the dust was a smokescreen all around, their faces ploughed by Shalom's judgementalness, faces that once gave no resistance. They live by the side of the road, on the side of the hill as all that they once knew exploded, they felt dislocated, suffocated, the land (Shalom/critical Christianity) became weary of its own. Shalom made them make a choice.

Oh, come away, come away, say I...God calling them to come away? The feeling, the need, the compulsion to leave after the painful rejection?

I am coming home...Bono's reiteration that love will find its own way home. That God is truly love, but not the spirit of judgement that came from the Shalom group. That all roads lead to where You are (Love Comes Tumbling Down from Wide Awake in America).

Don't you find it unusual that this song is on the cover of the CD jacket? That this was on "The Unforgettable Fire"? As a Christian I can vouch that an experience with God is indeed an Unforgettable Fire. You might be rejected by the Christian community, but you can never forget or reject the God you met in the Fire...think of Moses and the burning bush.

Can you see it in the lyrics? What do you think?

Last edited:
I definitely can! I've never thought of it like that before, but you're absolutely right, and I can totally relate right now. It's one of my all-time favorite U2 songs. I do remember hearing a story Bono told about it being about a soldier killed that in a sense comes back to "haunt" his family, but when Bono creates he writes from such a deep place that songs take on whole new meanings. It's what makes the band so amazing!

U2isthebest said:
I definitely can! I've never thought of it like that before, but you're absolutely right, and I can totally relate right now. It's one of my all-time favorite U2 songs. I do remember hearing a story Bono told about it being about a soldier killed that in a sense comes back to "haunt" his family, but when Bono creates he writes from such a deep place that songs take on whole new meanings. It's what makes the band so amazing!

And then, if you extrapolate a bit, (especially since Bono doesn't like to blast his faith like so many evangelicals do to the point that they estrange people, the solider coming back to haunt his family could in fact be a very Christian soldier coming back to haunt his spiritual family. The family that rejected him in the first place.

Sometimes I wonder how much Bono veils his lyrics so as not to offend people, or to typecast the band into another contemporary Christian band? Especially after the way Shalom treated Guggi and Gavin, and rejected them because they chose to be a rock band and not give up their music? Bono never could betray Guggi and Gavin, abandon his friends, yet Shalom would abandon him, Edge and Larry unless they adhered to strict Christian principles. Yet U2's music has taught people about love, hate, life, death, and all kinds of things in between. Bono's unconditional love for people has let him raise up the ONE organization and influence many people from both the worlds. He has effectively built a bridge across the sea and land.

And, believe me, it isn't what we say that is going to get us into heaven, but who we know, and what we've done to the least of these our brothers.

That is very insightful, Freefall.
It is one of my absolute favorite songs. but it is one of a handful that is so haunting, and beautiful that I can only listen to it at certain times-it makes my heart ache and my insides knot up.

Great song...certainly is about somebody...

...coming home...

...after being away for a while...

:eyebrow:

(Yeah, I'm deep)

FYI: Chris Martin loves this freakin song, just thought you'd like to know

Back
Top Bottom