1,2,3,14?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SunBloc

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I know this has been asked before. Still can't find the answer. What is the significance of 1,2,3,14 in Vertigo? I'm convinced this is not a mistake. I love it, but am not following it.

Thanks! Bono's going to have to make these indirect references a little clearer if he wants people like me to get it. Ha Ha!

I've heard it's a tribute to Steve Lillywhite. He produced Boy, October, War and HTDAAB.
Albums number 1, 2, 3 and 14. (As long as you count Under A Blood Red Sky and the Best of's as albums.)

I read an explanation that it came from a night of him and edge drinking...and thats how they ended up counting:lmao: and kept it that way.

Dismantled said:
I read an explanation that it came from a night of him and edge drinking...and thats how they ended up counting:lmao: and kept it that way.
A lot of drinking while making HTDAAB, eh? :wink:

They said they wrote Crumbs while they were drunk. Well, I wouldn't mind them drinking more then. :drool:

;)

WalkOn21 said:

A lot of drinking while making HTDAAB, eh? :wink:

They said they wrote Crumbs while they were drunk. Well, I wouldn't mind them drinking more then. :drool:

;)

:drool: yeah..I read about the crumbs thing too...Bono said it was thier best song written while drunk:combust:

I wish I was there:shifty:

:drool:

I've always thought it was the drinking deal.... Didn't Bono say that "there may have been a little drinking invovled" when asked about the counting?

Even if it isn't the real reason he counts that way I'm going to stick with the drinking..its a lot more fun!!:wink:

prisz25 said:
I've always thought it was the drinking deal.... Didn't Bono say that "there may have been a little drinking invovled" when asked about the counting?

Even if it isn't the real reason he counts that way I'm going to stick with the drinking..its a lot more fun!!:wink:

thats what I thought...itsn't it on the HTDAAB cd thingy?:drool:

I thought they said Crumbs was the ONLY song they wrote while drunk...I don't know.

The most I've heard is that it's to Steve Lillywhite. I've never heard the Bible reference.

Yes, in the VH1 special, Bono says that "1, 2, 3, 14 maybe has a drink involved" :lol:

prisz25 said:

On a "good morning america" interview, Bono said something to that matter, that it sounded like "there probably was some drinking involved." Bono had a good laugh with it.

back on topic - doesn't Boy start with 1, 2, 3, 4 into I Will Follow?
First album - 1, 2, 3, 4
14th release - 1, 2, 3, 14
How did it take me that long to see that connection?

As for why it's in Spanish? Someone?

shaynar said:
back on topic - doesn't Boy start with 1, 2, 3, 4 into I Will Follow?
First album - 1, 2, 3, 4
14th release - 1, 2, 3, 14
How did it take me that long to see that connection?

As for why it's in Spanish? Someone?

They knew they would record the video for Vertigo in Spain? Maybe?

I dunno!

Spanish? My only guess is that the band is marketing themselves in more than one dialect

Back
Top Bottom