What book/books are you reading right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
I personally am reading The Return of the King by Tolkien. Havent picked it up for like a month. I need to get it done because I really want to read Black Hawk Down.

i finished reading the return of the king a little while ago...i started reading it last summer, put it down, and finally picked it back up last month, reading the bulk of it in one sitting...

now reading: angela's ashes

This is my first time reading it. I'd never read any of the Lord of the Rings books, or the Hobbit for that matter. I read all of them except for Return of the King last summer. I've really been sitting on this one though. Just havent been reading books at all lately.

i hadn't read them before either. my brother got a box set for christmas around when the first movie came out, so i stole them and read them.

next up: gangs of new york by herbert asbury

and some james joyce...

I have the bad habit of starting books, but taking forever to finish them. :reject:

I just finished Anne of Windy Poplars, by LM Montgomery.. so sophisticated, lol, but they're good. I'm also reading the Fellowship of the Ring, just a few chapters in.. I need to start reading it again. :der:

Currently reading:

The Year 1000: What Life Was Like At the Turn Of the First Millennium
I can't remember the authors (two scholars, I think), but it's a fascinating read.
An Inspector Calls by JB Priestley. It's a play, actually, I have a report on it due tomorrow. I'm half-way through it. Procrastination...

To Read:
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 and 3/4i by Sue Townsend.
First time I'm reading this, I read The Capuccino Years and thought it was fairly ok.
Dubliners by James Joyce
My Very First Joyce.
Ally's World 4 by Karen McCrombie
I know this is a Scholastic book, with horrible characters, dialogue and plots, but it's mindless entertainment nonetheless.
The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
I love Agatha Christie's work to bits and the chance to get more Golden Era detective stuff appealed to me. The blurb looked interesting, too.
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde.
Friend's recommendation.
Taken At the Flood by Agatha Christie.
Bought it with a book voucher.
Sense and Sensibility and Emma by Jane Austen.
I figured it was time I started reading some Jane Austen. Should be interesting when I get round to it.
Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Once again, I decided I'd try and get into a canonical writer.

I also have a ton of second-hand give aways from friends like Irvine Welsh's 'Filth' and 'Ecstasy', various thrillers and stuff.

Damn, this is going to take a long time.

i re-newed the joyce i borrowed from the library cos i still haven't got around to it, and the librarian tried to send me back to take out ulysess to go with the book it was renewing. i guess it's an improvement over when i check something out and the librarian says "oh i heard that wasn't any good. i don't know why anyone would want to read that"

IWasBored said:
i re-newed the joyce i borrowed from the library cos i still haven't got around to it, and the librarian tried to send me back to take out ulysess to go with the book it was renewing. i guess it's an improvement over when i check something out and the librarian says "oh i heard that wasn't any good. i don't know why anyone would want to read that"

You lie so much, it's ridiculous.

u2popmofo, you're just jealous

now if i could only think up a reason WHY you would be jealous...

cujo said:

Don't you mean rediculous?

:eyebrow:

:lol:

I have a book about Norman Mailer that my brother bought me. I want to read Return of the King but I keep forgetting about it. I also want to read Harry Potter 4. I had to read the first one for a adolesent lit class so I just ended up reading the 2nd and 3rd one but I never got around to reading #4.

my mom called and told me to read something, and i said i was reading other stuff....she got mad and said that joyce doesn't portray women well. and then she proceeded to say she's never read anyhting by him. i guess my mom is one of those people who thinks books should be banned even when she's never read them. which is strange because she had the opposite opinion when i read "catcher in thr rye" cos that's forever on lists of banned books...

anyway, she told me never to read norman mailer and henry miller. not like i was going to in the near future anyway, i've got too many other things i have to read first.

if you end all of our lives, u2popmofo, who will you talk to on interference?

IWasBored said:
if you end all of our lives, u2popmofo, who will you talk to on interference?

Good question.

I guess you'll all live because of that. You saved everyone IWasBored.

I liked your post. I always get annoyed by that kind of thing. I hate it when people tell me all about something and why it's so great or so bad, and then I find out they've never even experienced what ever it is, whether it be a movie, music, books, food, whatever. It can be annoying. Double standards, dont you just love them?

speaking of double standards, i replied to your post about cash's video for "hurt"

Now reading Stupid White Men (And Other Sorry Excuses For the State of the Nation) by Michael Moore, and a book of the Onion articles. Both are great.

Last night, I just finished reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X... It blew my mind away.

I'm reading 3 books: El manuscrito carmes? by Antonio Gala, La Casa de Bernarda Alba by Federico Garc?a Lorca (this one is for school) and the biography of Gandhi.

I actually just finished (re)reading Return of the King last week. I forgot how much I enjoy those books. Now I'm reading The Silmarillion because I've become re-obsessed with all things Tolkein. What I should be reading is Hearts in Atlantis, which a friend lent to me like 9 months ago and I still haven't got around to finishing for some reason. Despite this, I my next project will be Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

And I freaking :heart: the Onion.

That's a great book, meeganie. :up:

I finished Rushdie's The Ground Beneath Your Feet last week.

Now I'm reading Richard Powers's Galatea 2.2

Back
Top Bottom